Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Every generation getting softer?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
Every generation getting softer?
« on: May 21, 2006, 06:54:10 pm »
I am always amazed to see these pics http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723 and keep going back to re-look at them.

So, KTM, GS, V-Storm, TA, AT, Capo, KLR, it does not matter. You know, we keep on asking, will this bike do it, will this cc's be enough, which is the best. But then I visit this link and realize,
"It is the human spirit that dictates the best bike."

Also, see the camaraderie between these adventure dudes. Just one amazing spirit between them, and at the end of the day it?s not what bike did the best, but what other adventure awaits them.

Stunning!!

I do stand in their shadow. Maybe one day I will look back at what adventures I have done, and not that I tried to prove something.

My goal with this thread is to show bike owners that they should never ask if they or their bikes can do it, but to know, that if they run into trouble along the way, people from this forum and ADV oaks in general will always be there to help them and make sure everyone makes it ok. So, just get on your horse, whatever it is, and do it.  (Are you crying yet?  :cry:  OK, I'll stop.)
100001 110010 1101010

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:12:39 pm »
i didnt know the Village People rode bikes too  :lol:

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 11:53:12 am »
Those guys have impressed me hugely. And yes, this generation is softer than the previous (IMO).

Nothing better than getting into deep kak with people and getting out of it.

Screw brands. Riding is what counts.

And if anyone gives you shite mate, I am in your corner.
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 12:18:54 pm »
But LITO, can you imagine the balls of those first adventure dudes. Doing it on Harley's? We piep about tires and stuff, they got on their bikes and just went. Unreal! I guess if you have no other options you do the best with what you got.

Listen LITO, there are 2 trips for this year planned. The one is in Aug/Oct this year to Kaokoveld (2 weeks) and the other is a Voelvry rally that we call Parys to D'kar. It is 6 days and all dirt roads and thick sand (but only a reccie run for now). You should PM me if you are interested. We are currently 3 for Kaoko, and want not more than 5. For the Rally it is KalahariBen and me. So you are welcome.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 12:20:34 pm »
We and the next generation of bikers are spoilt for choice these days. Those guys still had a limited amount of bikes available to them and used it for everthing whether on or off the road. Could also be that we put to much value on our possessions. Imagine buying a Harley Davidson Fatboy and then take it through the toughest dirt roads you can get.

There is still alot of cameradie between bikers and 9/10 times you will find someone that will still help you when you stuck. 5 Years ago I would not hesitate putting on 3 layers of clothes, rain suit some summer gloves with cheap wool gloves inside for more warmth and head off to Wales or Scotland in the wet and cold for a weekend. Now it's a mission for me just going when it's fair weather and I have all the kit in the world to do it whether it's stinking hot or freezing cold. Had a discussion with my wife over the weekend and came to the conclusion that there is not actually anything camping or biking kit worth while for me to buy any more because I have everything I would ever need and possibly not even need.

When you get to a point like that it's rather sad to think you got it all but not using it because your mindset is on a completely different level at the moment. Will I go camping in -10 degrees again - hell yeah, will I do alot of serious offroading and crappy roads getting wet and dirty - hell yeah.....when......I just don't know. Those guys had the bare minimum and yet they enjoyed everything to the max - makes you think doesn't it :wink:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:25:28 pm »
Ye Maverick, you mention something that present the most difficult problem in our live - time. Where to get it and then how to spend it, with family, with friends and with what? Time is a serious issue. But it is like having babies; you will never have enough money if you plan them. You have to make time. But ye, time is a problem.
100001 110010 1101010

shark_za

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 12:27:12 pm »
Quote from: "Zonkelnut"
the other is a Voelvry rally that we call Parys to D'kar.

Where is D'kar?

The Natal thumper dudes are going to do a trip from Parys to De Aar, around the same time they race the Dakar.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 12:39:45 pm »
Time is a serious issue. But it is like having babies; you will never have enough money if you plan them. You have to make time. But ye, time is a problem.

Don't tell my wife about the baby bit dude :shock:

Yes time is always a problem but sadly if you start looking at the 52 weeks in a year we waste alot of time as well. Got a friend in Holland called Zwerver (Geert), met him through the UKGSER lot and stayed over at his place in Holland enroute to the Elephant Treffen two years ago.

He just said if you keep on planning you will end up with alot of plans and that's it. He managed one year to do something ridicilous like 42 weekend camping trips in a single year not planning anyone of them. Merely got on his bike and went where ever. He was never in his life so happy, so excited and of course so broke afterwards :D But never regretted one single trip. Of course he has no kids and not married but still think that was pretty impressive going if for a loner.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 12:46:25 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
the other is a Voelvry rally that we call Parys to D'kar.

Where is D'kar?

The Natal thumper dudes are going to do a trip from Parys to De Aar, around the same time they race the Dakar.

Botswana.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 01:00:43 pm »
Thats why I have HUGE respect for those guys. Their skills on the big bikes was absolutely awesome and I realise what a sissie ninny and moegoe I am when I check those dudes out.

However, I have to admit that the inspiration they gave me (personally) was big enough to make me push my limits and ignore what those around me said was possible on a bike. You get a lot of biking people who are afraid of this or that and say its impossible. If you think like that, you are going to stay where you are skill wise, and thereby cut your enjoyment potential.

I am blessed by people like that, I have nothing but respect for them. And it stays as encouragement to ride better and hit harder, as I am still a boob noob when I look at them.

Thanks guys.

Zonkel, what an honour. Let me check dates, times and bank balances and get back to you mate.

What a great trip!!!!!!!!
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline lonerider

• aka Jason
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Stellenbosch super-sluiper
Re: Every generation getting softer?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 04:18:07 pm »
Excellent read, thought it worth reviving the thread... :)

Strangely, the topic matches a discussion I had with a chap a few months ago. He stated - almost categorically - that "adventure" in people younger than 40 has all but died away...
[snip]
I do not think that dying is a good idea.
Living doing something that you love is a good idea.
Living until you die is a good idea. If living happens to kill you it means you made a mistake, but we are human, and humans make mistakes, so go for it, enjoy it, live until you die, rather than not living for your whole life.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
Re: Every generation getting softer?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 04:28:30 pm »
This past weekend was a revelation in my bike riding again. The last couple of months I started getting rid of all the Touratech kak and fancy this and that things I have not used for two years. Just sold my panniers as well last week so headed on a epic ride to the North of Scotland and all the way down to the south. We covered 1942 miles in four days which does not sound much but if you know english roads and traffic you will realise it is pretty hard riding. I packed my rollbag with tent, sleeping bag, pair of light trousers and a t-shirt.

Tank bag had my camera and wallet. That was it and believe it or not managed the whole weekend without my camping cutlery kit, stoves, chairs etc etc. Just the basics and it was great  ;D

The £300 for my panniers is going to pay for the next roadtrip because that serve more value in my memory than standing in dust in the garage. Had my toureg kit on with thickish gloves as I don't have heated grips and it was like 6 degrees in Scotland Saturday morning. But all of that made the trip so much more interesting. Not always pleasant but that is what adventure and life is about. There is still loads of hardness in younger generations we just don't always see it.

Get out there and forget about all the bling bling and ride!  8)

The HP2 with bare basics....

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:29:16 pm by Maverick »