Re-packed my exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
I noticed a while ago that the rivets holding the stainless steel insert into the back of the silencer were quite loose.

This got steadily worse till it all became quite wonky and exhaust gas was clearly blowing out the back as well. 

I finally got around to doing something about it this weekend.  (But didnt take any photo's, was too absorbed getting it all done).

I drilled out the rivets and pulled it all apart.

I had left it a bit late, because the rivets had worn the holes quite a bit, one of the holes had actually pulled through the edge of the aluminium.

Also the exhaust packing had basically disappeared! There was some left but not very much.

I hummed and haa'ed about what to do about the elongated holes.  Blazes suggested cutting the edge of the aluminium housing back and drilling new holes.  At first I thought that was a great idea, but realised that it would mean that the clamp on the exhaust would have to move about 10mm, which wasn't a train smash, but it would mean that the clamp overlap would diminish accordingly.  So I wanted to try avoid that.

In the end I just decided to use high temp silcon gasket sealer as well as drill a few extra holes for rivets and use the existing holes as well.  I'm hoping the combination of extra rivets and adhesive of the silcon would hold it all firm. 

So I repacked the exhaust and gave it all a good sanding and polish so now its all back on the bike.

I also took the opportunity to check the clicks on the cam chain.  I'm currently on 7 clicks - at about 15000k's.  :thumleft: