Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: N1 "bike lane" (Johannesburg)  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Toors

Re: N1 "bike lane" (Johannesburg)
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2013, 12:17:21 pm »
A bike riding here does not cause cars to move over to squash the accepted lane splitters.

So about these suicide laners taking each other out, what's with that? Thought you had a whole lane and plenty of forward vision? And about that escape route you're always supposed to have ... ?

1 guy was coming from the on-ramp and from the car lane cut in front bike (without looking) already in the suicide lane... as if this have never happened to you lane splitting - other bikers getting into the split lane without looking?
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline vigilant

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2013, 12:29:24 pm »
[
1 guy was coming from the on-ramp and from the car lane cut in front bike (without looking) already in the suicide lane... as if this have never happened to you lane splitting - other bikers getting into the split lane without looking?

Sounds about right, get them every day lately, don't check mirrors, don't check for other bikes, that's why i'm not seeing a difference between suicide laners and cagers: same thinking.
Ride the lightning

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2013, 01:29:10 pm »
I am very weary of other bikes. Their mirrors are small and most seem to think, as "their" bike is the fastest thing on 2 wheels, they don't even need to use them. I slow down every time I see another bike in the traffic even if he is in another lane. On Monday it was a guy coming in from Grayston onto the M1. He cut across in front of the truck straight into the lane split between the fast lane and the next left. Thankfully I had been watching him and having "lost" him behind the truck was able to slow down enough not to hit him.

Note this had nothing to do with the right shoulder. It boils down to being awake and aware. You should do this regardless where you ride on the road.

I almost had an off this morning on the M1 as a women swerved aggressively at me as I went past. Caused by her toddler excitedly leaning forward between the front seats to get her attention and bumping her arm. Daughter not strapped in. Reason for not enough attention was that Mom was reading a text while driving at 100km/h in rush hour traffic. No matter where you are on the road if you are not awake when this happens it will hurt.

I think it is time that we stop judging the way others ride and hear why they ride that way. Often there is a good reason. I know some people do things differently to the way I do on a bike. I have a friend who hates the motorways and rides through the suburbs as much as possible. He had a close encounter that makes this real for him. In my case every uncontrolled intersection and stop street is a major risk (a few near misses has me convinced) I prefer the motorways as at least we are all going the same way. First prize of course is a dirt highway. I get that when I have to go to Pretoria.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline silvrav

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2013, 01:48:29 pm »
Think most people told you the right thing to do, by NOT DOING it....and most will likely like to moer any SL riders as they put the lane splitters life in danger.

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2013, 02:00:45 pm »
Think most people told you the right thing to do, by NOT DOING it....and most will likely like to moer any SL riders as they put the lane splitters life in danger.

Hence my point. How many dogs on the stretch between Rivonia and Malibongwe don't use the Right Shoulder. Yesterday afternoon I saw one rider with a MP number plate. He moved over in front of me after 4 bikes I could see passed him on the shoulder. Else every other bike I have seen on that stretch in the last two weeks has used the shoulder. I use that road every morning and evening.

This morning I also did not use the Shoulder as for some strange reason the traffic was moving. I think I missed the accident as when I got on at William Nicoll there was a bike at the on ramp. He was talking to 2 tow truck drivers.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline Réhann

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Triumph Tiger Explorer
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2013, 02:30:34 pm »

Amen to that.   :thumleft:

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2013, 03:04:21 pm »
Clinton Pienaar of Superbike Magazine asked me to share my opinion (actually Think Bike's opinion too) on riding in the Suicide Lane in a "letter to the editor".

Clinton shares the opinions of those who say they have never picked up a puncture there and riding in the Suicide Lane it is safer than lane-splitting.

Let me tell you, the puncture thing is luck, no more than that.

As far as the Suicide Lane being safer is concerned, how many people have died while lane-splitting on the N1 North between 14th Ave and Rivonia this year? Because we know of four deaths in the Suicide Lane...

So please explain again how riding in the Suicide Lane is safer, because I sure as shit don't see it that way.

On this thread its been stated that approx. 80% of bikes use the right emergency lane. so one would expect that 80% of the bike accidents would also occur there. The fact is either your aware, read the road, read the cagers behaviour, read other bikers behaviour, ride at the appropriate speed etc. or you dont! if you dont you're gonna come short and it doesnt matter which lane your using.

Ive been travelling from Ranburg to Boksburg everyday at the same time for the last 6 years. With the correct approach and required attention the right side EL is far safer. The ouens in the cages are doing lots of illegal stuff including unroadworthyness of their vehicle like not having rear veiw mirrors and not looking properly before changing lanes or  f**king indicating. Anyway, this is Africa nobody gives a shit about the law even the cops. Lets face it the guy doing 140 in his car is much more of a hazard than the f**ked out taxi that cant even make it to 100, He must be or the cops would stop hiding behind bushes with their cameras and start doing some real law enforcement.
Dude you are advocating breaking the law. You can't now come and complain about others breaking the law

It doesnt matter who caused the accident the biker comes off worse. Strongs to the guys out there be careful.
I agree with you whole-heartedly .

A note to Mcsack, you sir are a Dickhead and should be banned from this forum.
Ag well , I've been called way worse. Just goes to show how as bikers we are quick to get on our high horse about how badly other road users behave, but when our own practices are called into question we get all shirty
Never ceases to amaze me
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:05:06 pm by McSack »
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline silvrav

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2013, 03:10:16 pm »
Clinton Pienaar of Superbike Magazine asked me to share my opinion (actually Think Bike's opinion too) on riding in the Suicide Lane in a "letter to the editor".

Clinton shares the opinions of those who say they have never picked up a puncture there and riding in the Suicide Lane it is safer than lane-splitting.

Let me tell you, the puncture thing is luck, no more than that.

As far as the Suicide Lane being safer is concerned, how many people have died while lane-splitting on the N1 North between 14th Ave and Rivonia this year? Because we know of four deaths in the Suicide Lane...

So please explain again how riding in the Suicide Lane is safer, because I sure as shit don't see it that way.

On this thread its been stated that approx. 80% of bikes use the right emergency lane. so one would expect that 80% of the bike accidents would also occur there. The fact is either your aware, read the road, read the cagers behaviour, read other bikers behaviour, ride at the appropriate speed etc. or you dont! if you dont you're gonna come short and it doesnt matter which lane your using.

Ive been travelling from Ranburg to Boksburg everyday at the same time for the last 6 years. With the correct approach and required attention the right side EL is far safer. The ouens in the cages are doing lots of illegal stuff including unroadworthyness of their vehicle like not having rear veiw mirrors and not looking properly before changing lanes or  f**king indicating. Anyway, this is Africa nobody gives a shit about the law even the cops. Lets face it the guy doing 140 in his car is much more of a hazard than the f**ked out taxi that cant even make it to 100, He must be or the cops would stop hiding behind bushes with their cameras and start doing some real law enforcement.
Dude you are advocating breaking the law. You can't now come and complain about others breaking the law

It doesnt matter who caused the accident the biker comes off worse. Strongs to the guys out there be careful.
I agree with you whole-heartedly .

A note to Mcsack, you sir are a Dickhead and should be banned from this forum.
Ag well , I've been called way worse. Just goes to show how as bikers we are quick to get on our high horse about how badly other road users behave, but when our own practices are called into question we get all shirty
Never ceases to amaze me

With the correct approach and required attention the right side EL is far safer.

With the correct approach and required attention, one shouldnt get addicted to drugs.....life happens unfrotunately and ACCIDENTS happen. might not be your fault and be completely innocent, but would you rather be in the BL or SL when it happens? Would your insurance pay out if you come down in the SL (after all your riding illegally), would you complain if SAPS or similiar bodies charges you with a serious of charges cause your were riding illegal, not allowing a vehicle to use the lane what it was intended for?

Do what you please SL riders....just think about the above, think about your family, cause it is not SAFER in the SL.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:11:05 pm by silvrav »

Offline bomskok

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2013, 03:18:30 pm »
Maybe we should ask who uses the stretch of road on the N1 between Malibongwe and Rivonia on a daily basis and does not use the right shoulder. I would be interested to hear their reasoning.

Here's one.

I do that stretch often from 14th to Rivonia or William Nicol, going to Sandton. Sometimes I go to Midrand as well. I used to commute from PTA to JHB CBD for 2 years so, depending on your point of view, I guess I have enough experience to comment.

For one, it has little to do with it being illegal., although it plays a part. I know there are lots of illegal stuff going on, we all do illegal things while driving anyway. (Speeding, not stopping at a stop sign, overtaking on solid line etc etc)

For me it's about risk assessment. If you look at the stats that have been mentioned here, it is simply too risky. End of story. Punctured tyre is a PITA, but not nearly as bad as hitting a car at 80 higher.

I am well used to lane splitting and can "read" the drivers (most of the time anyway. There are always a few that teaches you a new trick every now and then...) I also agree that in general cars get used to lane splitting bikes and make way for them.

I know how long it takes me to get from Roodepoort to Sandton on the bike (lane splitting) so I plan my trip accordingly. Even if traffic is at a standstill I continue splitting because I'm not in a hurry to get there. (proper planning you see....) I have absolutely no inclination to even try out that lane. You can call me a banggat all day long, at the end of the day it's about minimizing risk. It's the same approach I take when I fly myself around in a small airplane.

To those that use THAT lane, be honest, do you really keep to a 'sane' speed to make sure you can avoid a car that jumps into that lane? My observations indicate that most guys really cane it through there!

I've had my fare share of close calls. (mostly doing the PTA - JHB route)  I had one experience where I was pretty much next to a car where he kept changing lanes right in front of me. There was space for me to move to - the space he was going into - and I avoided hitting him. (Makes sense no?) In THAT lane, you literally have nowhere to go if a car does that.

Just my opinion. Clearly I'm not part of the 80% (more like 95%) majority. Suites me just fine.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:22:26 pm by bomskok »

Offline myni

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • "Not all those who wander are lost." - Tolkien
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2013, 05:03:32 pm »
Use a little common sense, ride like everyone is out to get you, ride defensively and ride where it is safe ... my 10c

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:04:13 pm by myni »
Everyone I come across in cages they bought
they think of me and my wandering
but I'm never what they thought
got my indignation but I'm pure in all my thoughts
I'm alive...

Offline Chili Dog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Remember. Your unique....like everyone else.
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2013, 08:54:08 am »

Who's complaining? Im stating a fact. The reprecussions of cagers bending the rules and breaking the law are dead bikers! The reprecussions of me breaking the law by riding in the right EL is that I might get a puncture. Metro dont seem too concerned about the right EL use.

What im trying to say and this answers Dwerg too, is if your not paying attention and not anticipating traffic around you, you will come short, doesnt matter which lane your using. I feel its safer for ME due to how many times per day I was almost taken out in the "lane splitting lane"

Never ceases to amaze me
Ok! I appologise for calling you a dickhead but come on mate you threatend to cut a fellow dog off, which could obviously lead to injury. You should know better than that.
Some people are like Slinky's! Good for nothing, but still bring a big smile to you face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2013, 08:57:43 am »
If you can't lanesplit safely after years of riding, perhaps biking isn't your strong point  :pot:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Geotraveller

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2013, 08:58:37 am »
The reprecussions of me breaking the law by riding in the right EL is that I might get a puncture.

Dunno about that mate, it's been said ad nauseum that cages
flinch" into this lane to avoid collisions or when they break down, a puncture may be the least of your worries when that happens 10 meters in front of you, even at 60/80 km an hour.
IMHO and 2c.

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:38 am »
I was at a bike shop yesterday and spoke to 3 EMPD bike cops that were there.

Their input is that lane splitting is far safer and that the accidents involving bikes in the EL are usually at a far higher speed.  They say that despite their experience (between 2 & 4 years of daily patrols on the bikes), they are learning & seeing new shit literally every day and they have all fallen.
-----------------------
Douglas Norval
HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Online Sylvester

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2013, 12:14:55 pm »
Their input is that lane splitting is far safer and that the accidents involving bikes in the EL are usually at a far higher speed. 

I think we all agree that doing high speeds either while lane splitting or in the suicide lane would be looking for trouble.

Everybody also agree that suicide lane driving as a general rule is not on.

What makes this situation different is that this section on the N1 has:

Wider than usual suicide lane without (or very little) debris or manholes.
   Cars driving much slower in peak traffic (30 - 40km/h).
   Cars constantly changing lanes entering and coming off offramps at Beyers, Malibongwe and William Nicol. 

which makes SL driving on this stretch of highway feasible/safe providing you don't drive like a maniac and be on the lookout as you should always do in any case.

and this is all I have to say about that.

I consider myself a pessimist. I am therefore always right...eventually.

Offline vigilant

« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2013, 08:53:43 am »
I see there's a wild dog who has joined the biker lane in the mornings!

Morning meneer, welcome  :thumleft:
Ride the lightning