Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 950 emissions  (Read 321 times)

Offline Whethefakawe

KTM 950 emissions
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:19:52 pm »
I'm curious, do 950's in SA come with a all the emmissions shite that European and US bikes do? They call it EC, SAS, etc, a bunch of hoses and a charcoal canister to filter petrol vapour.

If they do, do you live with it or remove it? It messes up the bike's performance and causes other problems too.

I'm busy removing everything off mine, the idea is to get the bike back to the original 'Dakar" configuration, like Meoni's was. The goal is having the tanks and carbs vented to atmosphere, all separately.

Any issues? My bike will be living in SA in a few months and I'd like to K.I.S.S.

O0

You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline Ratel

Re: KTM 950 emissions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 10:24:47 pm »
As far as I know we don't have those things on our bikes :-\
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 06:33:03 am »
We do not have the charcoal canisters, but do have the SAS.  The SAS (Secondary Air System) is easily removed, it stops the popping sounds on deceleration.  The SAS valves open when you close the throttle and introduce air into the exhaust, and the oxygen causes burning of any unused fuel in the pipes, hence the popping.  Remove the SAS and this disappears and you blow any unburnt fuel into the atmosphere.

And the plumbing that comes out makes work on the motor slightly easier, not major however....

There are detailed instructions on various sites, do a search starting with Orange Crush.  ("SAS- and Canisterectomy")
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline stofhond

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 10:26:59 am »
SAS should go , or at least deactivated it . I've still got all the plumbing on my bike , but will loose it when the warranty runs out .

Another must on the 950 is to get rid of the epc valves or just disconnect them , big performance improvement in second and third gear !
2011 KTM 990 R
2005 KTM 950 S

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 07:36:24 pm »
Correct Stofhond.  The EPC (Electronic Power Control) system has 2 valves, one on each carb.  In second and third gear, when you suddenly twist the throttle to the end stop, these valves open and allow an amount of air to flow in above the carb diaphragms, causing the slides to lift a bit slower.  This plumbing can also go, and causes major increase in front tyre life and shorter chain and rear tyre mileage. :)

The system was originally designed to keep the non-suspecting rider on the bike when he overtakes in 3rd at 6000 rpm.   :o

The SAS tubes run from the back of the airbox down into the sides of the heads, and the EPC pipes run through the side of airbox into the carbs.  Rip all the tubes, wires and plug all the holes you leave and you're in business.  Detailed instructions are available, search if you need.  You can make or import new covers for the SAS on the sides of the cylinders.  I did it on mine and several other 950's, and to be very honest I did notice a slight (not major) difference in power in 2nd and 3rd. And the SAS removal does reduce the popping to a large extent, it practically disappears and bike sounds much better on deceleration.  Not like the infantry in contact any more.  ;D

www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....