Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: PTA to PE, best route?  (Read 790 times)

Offline 2Vulcans

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
PTA to PE, best route?
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:58:16 am »
Hi everyone,
I am relatively new in SA so I don't know many roads.
I am supposed to drive down to Port Elizabeth from Pretoria in 10 days and I was wondering if you have suggestions on the route. I will have to come back after few days so I am ready to select a couple of routes from your suggestions.
I would also like to go through Lesotho but I am not sure how many hours it would add to it. I am also not an expert of off-road driving and I will have my lady as pillion so I would prefer not to do it, if I can avoid (at least for now).
Thank you!
Emiliano

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
Re: PTA to PE, best route?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:18:55 am »
Hello Emilliano and welcome. :thumleft:
First let me suggest you buy some sort of map.
Road down to PE on tar is about 1100km.
From PTA it is all the way south on the N1 to Kroonstad - Bloemfontein then Colesberg. Just outside  Colesberg  (PE side) you leave the N1 onto the N10 going through Noupoort - Middelburg - Cradock and PE.
This is the main tar route.  As you are not sure about your abilities offroad probably best to stick to it.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught
The left is full of people who have been educated far beyond their intelligence

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:32:50 am »
Welcome!

Secondary roads would be Pta - Jhb - Heidelburg - follow the R26, Heilbron, Frankfort, Reitz, Bthlehem, Fouriesburg, then west along the Lesotho border - Ladybrand, Hobhouse, Wepener, Zastron, Rouxville, N6 to Aliwal North, R58 to Burgersdorp, R391 to Hofmeyer, R390 to Cradock and down the N10 to the N2 and into PE.

These are pretty much all secondary tar roads, so you might have some potholes, maybe a few stop & go penalties (roadworks) but you will see places other than the Engen 1-stops......

You could also slab it down the N3 to Harrismith then take the R712 through the Golden Gate national park - awesome ride - tou Fouriesburg and carry on from there....

Either way, look at a 2-day ride!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:54:27 am »
Welcome!

Secondary roads would be Pta - Jhb - Heidelburg - follow the R26, Heilbron, Frankfort, Reitz, Bthlehem, Fouriesburg, then west along the Lesotho border - Ladybrand, Hobhouse, Wepener, Zastron, Rouxville, N6 to Aliwal North, R58 to Burgersdorp, R391 to Hofmeyer, R390 to Cradock and down the N10 to the N2 and into PE.

These are pretty much all secondary tar roads, so you might have some potholes, maybe a few stop & go penalties (roadworks) but you will see places other than the Engen 1-stops......

You could also slab it down the N3 to Harrismith then take the R712 through the Golden Gate national park - awesome ride - tou Fouriesburg and carry on from there....

Either way, look at a 2-day ride!
+1
If you are doing tar, stay away from the road between Cradock and Colesberg for now, they are blasting and road works are hectic.
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline 2Vulcans

• Puppy
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 02:10:00 pm »
Thank you all for the replies and "directions"!
Any specific suggestion on where to stay between PTA and PE? I am flexible, from camping to any other (relatively cheap) solution.

Thank you!

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:15:20 pm »
Also, the road past Wepener / Zastron is absolutely farked.  More pothole than road.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline frogtoe

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 07:00:26 pm »
What the turtle said. There also dirt roads between most the towns, check them out on your phones gps.
Perfect GS territory 
he flies through the air with the greatest of ease, then hits the ground, breaking both knee's
biggest2smallest-1200adv-zzr1100-klr650-sr500-it250

Offline dips

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 09:19:51 pm »
when are you planning on doing the trip ?
im planning a trip to knysna from pta  starting on around 10 /9 /2013
Ride her like you ride her or the other way round aaargh does it matter

Offline hedleyj

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 11:03:04 pm »

Two of us are Riding pretoria to PE direct on 28 August via Graaf Rienette stop every approx 200 km for leg stretch

We then going on down to Cape Town for the weekend and back to PTA on Monday.

I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.