Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New BMW R1200 GS (2013) “Tanks slap”  (Read 8767 times)

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
Re: New BMW R1200 GS (2013) “Tanks slap”
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 09:00:28 am »
 :imaposer:  :laughing4:

Check out: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=136411.0

Some pictures of the damper, not electronic.

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 09:24:17 am »
Bastid... I just bought mine last week, came without steering damper, suppose the salesman didn't know about this.......

It really doesn't matter cause mine feels perfect. 

Any of you know if it's electronic or normal type of damper?

Maby all off us should complain about the tankslaps and see if bmw's will fit all our bikes with it! Just in case, and to add a tad resale value...

I did however slap my lc's tank myself, but that was for thanking her for the wonderful ride, always wanted to do it to my wife as well... Lol.

Foxhound, trust me, after 3500 K's on mine I can assure you that the bike is just as prone to tank slapping as any other bike, and in my opinion does not require a steering damper at all!

Offline lecap

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 10:03:54 am »
After watching a couple of 1200 LC bikes around the Country Trax oval the previous weekend, I can just say that I am 100 % convinced that the so called "tank slap" problem on the bike is 100% rumor.

A specific bike came sideways around a corner, was immediately lifted into a wheely on the short straight before being taken around the next corner, again side ways, with no indication of a head shake or any instability.  

The dangerous  and notorious headshake will only happen at higher speeds.

R1200GS LC's only tank slap in your dreams.
And it's a malicious rumour that BMW is patching up the R1200GS LC by deleting suspension settings and adding a steering damper ::)

I jumped ship of this discussion a long time ago ::)

Would you please be so kind sir to elaborate on your claims regarding the suspension settings being deleted?

That was reported in the media as part of the 2014 upgrades. It was linked here on the forum and looked as if it came from a reputable source ???
Later it turned out that no suspension settings were deleted. Only the damper added.
Question is if maybe the suspension settings were modified? Does Enduro Pro on a 2014 do the same thing as Enduro Pro did on the 2013 models?
BMW seems to prefer spreading either bullshit stories about steering dampers being added to bikes for production line efficiency or not giving any information over transparency.

Reminds me of the infamous 1997 Mercedes A class moose test saga: After handling the situation poorly (denial of problems, no comment, mumble mumble) the factory changed their way of handling the situation, recalled 2,600 cars for an ESP retrofit and walked off having turned a looming disaster into a thundering victory.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 10:54:25 am »
I intend asking a few of these questions in the near future. I am starting to think something changed since the first batch of K50's arrived in SA. I received mine in August, it was the first with both LED lights and Cruise control. It has only been a pleasure to ride.

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 11:38:52 am »
Mine is still the one without the cruise control ...... and I had no issues to date with it as well

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 11:54:31 am »
It would be interesting to know if the ones that went down (1) had cruise control fitted (2) had cruise control activated at the time (3) speed at time of incident (4) which tyres fitted (5) tyre pressure (6) seat height setting (7) rider's weight and height (8) luggage type and/or weight (9) suspension and ride mode chosen (10) road surface (11) gear selection etc.

If I listen to some reports that suggests occurence of headshake at higher speeds during sudden decelleration I can imagine a scenario following deactivation of cruise control. To deactivate the cruise control you have to touch the brake/clutch or the switch on the left handle bar. Depending on gear selected, this results in very rapid decelleration due to engine compression. This means you could find yourself in a spot of trouble if he planets align by throwing you a little road hazard that you spot too late while riding a bit too fast and maybe with one or more hands off the bars. You could even get here completely by accident if you touch the rear break during a day dream...

Just trying to work out what happened. Given that all reports are rather sketchy, we may never really know.

Offline lecap

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 01:14:45 pm »
If it's caused by sudden deceleration then they will probably retrofit a small spring shim to give it a tad more spring preload and ride height in the front. Or replace the spring. And not tell you at all. Or tell you it's for production line efficiency - or to stop the shock spring from squeaking annoyingly?
 :laughing4:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:15:37 pm by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 02:02:09 pm »
I actually don't care what BMW says and I can think of a few other places I would like to put that little spring shim in a manner that might induce a bit of a squeak  ;D

Just trying to work out what may have caused certain experienced riders to go down. I am clearly not experienced enough to notice a tankslapper when I ride and may have been experiencing it consitently without my knowledge  :imaposer:

Offline paulb

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 02:41:04 pm »
Jy sal beslis agter kom as jy tankslapper kry .  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Offline Camel

• Panniers on the back
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2013, 12:00:30 pm »
Die nuwe LC voel baie ligter op die stuur as my vorige 2007 1200GS, in die 3 maande wat ek die bike het, nog geen onstabiliteit gevoel nie. Gaan Sondag n trackday doen en hopelik ongedeerd daarvan afkom. Ek voel baie gemaklik met die fiets solo en gelaai met vrou en panniers, op teer en grond.

Die LC vibreer vir my meer as my vorige een maar ek raak ook nou gewoond daaraan.

Offline Foxhond

• GSA
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2013, 08:28:20 pm »
Dankie aan Donford vir die "tech talk" Sondag.

Ten minste weet ek nou:
1) almal se ratkaste is clunkey, nie net myne nie.
2) almal  betaal dieselfde vir ons olie.
3) niemand van ons gaan steering dampers vir mahala kry nie.
4) almal se agter briekskoene gaan moontlik net 3-5000 km hou, afhangende van hoeveel stofpaaie ons ry.
5) almal het konsensus, die stuur aksie is by tye baie lig, maar niemand het al ń "tankslap" ondervind nie.

As BMW dalk besluit om die dampner te verskaf, sal dit seker ń hele nuwe telelever wees wat klaar gedrill en getap is, ek glo nie hulle sal toelaat dat die handelaars dit self doen nie?

Ek's nogal nuskierig om te weet wat dit sal kos, al is dit heeltemal onnodig, net nog ń cool accessory en kan moontlik in jou guns tel as jy die fiets wil verkoop eendag.

Ek het ń baie interresante you tube video gesien waar iemand probeer om sy lc te laat "wobble" of "tank slap" hy het met cruise control aan gery en albei hande van die stuur afgehaal en dan die bars geslaan van agter, een kant op n slag en hy kon nie die fiets kry om enige onstabiliteit te toon nie, grondpad of teerpad.

You tube 1200 gs lc instability test of so iets... Baie goeie video en die ou gee goeie verduidelikings van wat hy doen.
Dis presies so iets wat sal veroorsaak dat ń klein apie sy ma byt...of spyker!!!

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2013, 08:47:01 pm »
Dis goed om te weet jy's ook in Durbanville. Volgende week gaan ek, Slovac en Crankshaft 'n glas wyn geniet en verder gesels. Sal lekker wees om jou daar te hę.

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2013, 08:57:08 pm »
Ek het vandag my vertoë aan Neil Berry gerig om aan te stuur
Sal maar sien wat gaan gebeur. As daarvn veiligheids probleem is het hul geen keuse nie.
O ja ek het al n tankslap gehad op teer, nou onlangs

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 09:04:24 pm »
Ons sal maar almal so maak en kyk wat gebeur. Gaan jy by ons aansluit volgende week? Het nog nie datum vas nie maar sal by D'Aria of soortgelyk wees. Ek sou graag meer wou hoor oor jou ervaring. Pad oppervlak, banddruk, spoed ens.

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2013, 03:32:15 pm »
Sal maar sien wat gaan gebeur. As daarvn veiligheids probleem is het hul geen keuse nie.

Ek sal ook meer wil hoor van jou tank slap ervaring asb. Watter bande het jy op? Spoed, pad oppervlakte ens ens.

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2013, 09:19:26 pm »

Ek sal ook meer wil hoor van jou tank slap ervaring asb. Watter bande het jy op? Spoed, pad oppervlakte ens ens.

Tyres Anakee3's
Road Tar, was forced wide over diagonal corrugated rumble strips
Speed, accelerating from 60-120km but quite hard. Stayed on the throttle and lucky enough to ride it out

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2013, 02:43:17 pm »
I finally have it on good authority that a retro fit damper kit will be available shortly, however it will be for the owners account
As there has not been a recall and it just happens to be an added safety device fitted which has nothing to with reported tankslaps 😏💨

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2013, 04:10:34 pm »
 :sip:

Offline lecap

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2013, 08:21:33 am »
I finally have it on good authority that a retro fit damper kit will be available shortly, however it will be for the owners account
As there has not been a recall and it just happens to be an added safety device fitted which has nothing to with reported tankslaps 😏💨

That's like fitting an ejection seat to a jet fighter and stating it has nothing to do with the possibility that it might crash. Oh my!

Offline TheBear

• Time for a free lunch! *buuurpp*
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2013, 12:17:55 pm »

That's like fitting an ejection seat to a jet fighter and stating it has nothing to do with the possibility that it might crash. Oh my!

Or!

Our bike does not tankslap, but some believe it does, so let's sell them a steering damper at 500% profit!
#33 #BRADICAL!