Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New BMW R1200 GS (2013) “Tanks slap”  (Read 8726 times)

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
Re: New BMW R1200 GS (2013) “Tanks slap”
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2013, 12:21:45 pm »

That's like fitting an ejection seat to a jet fighter and stating it has nothing to do with the possibility that it might crash. Oh my!

Or!

Our bike does not tankslap, but some believe it does, so let's sell them a steering damper at 500% profit!

:laughing4:

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2013, 06:43:05 pm »
Any update on the damper retrofit?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:46:01 pm by Lord Knormoer »

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2013, 08:46:34 pm »

None, Donfords will let people know when available.
Incidentally read on ADV Forum that the steering stops are also misaligned on some of the earlier bikes, checked mine, and indeed it has that problem as well!
Man I am getting quite pissed now!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:18:30 pm by BennNevis »

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2013, 10:03:51 pm »

Incidentally read on ADV Forum that the steering stops are also misaligned on some of the earlier bikes, checked mine, and indeed it has that problem as well!

OK, I am not mechanically oriented. What will that cause?

Offline GSing

• Direct Your Adventure
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
Yes please tell us...

I'll be getting my replacement 2014 later this week and they are collecting my 2013 tomorrow........ You telling my I'm buying another &$)&$) headache?

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2013, 06:29:10 am »
Wilbers have just finished developing their Steering Damping kit for the R1200GS LC, I have ordered a bunch of them they should be here in about ten days time.
I will confirm the exact price later but indication is around R 7250.00 complete.
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

Offline SGB

• 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2013, 05:35:56 pm »

Please let us know what it means if the steering stops are misaligned?  And what does it cause from a riding perspective.  Excuse my ignorance, would just like to know what exactly is misaligned?  Thanks!
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2013, 06:59:17 pm »

Please let us know what it means if the steering stops are misaligned?  And what does it cause from a riding perspective.  Excuse my ignorance, would just like to know what exactly is misaligned?  Thanks!

From what I could gather on ADV Rider Forum, some owners had there bikes swapped out because of this. Easy to check
I noticed my RH Side hand guard bashing into the screen under full lock, all this means is that at full lock you could turn tighter right than left
Imo it is just sloppy and I do not see any issues in riding as it is! Unless you ride to the extremes in very technical terrain where one could conceivably require more ability to turn left at full lock. 

Offline lecap

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2013, 10:13:21 am »
The problem is likely not the bike being able to turn tighter one way than the other but the handlebars or anything attached to them making contact with the instrument cluster / windshield / fairing parts or not enough clearance between bar grips and tank / rest of bike at full lock.
Dropping the bike in a way which pushes the steering to full lock will smash things or crush fingers.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2013, 08:14:46 am »
The problem is likely not the bike being able to turn tighter one way than the other but the handlebars or anything attached to them making contact with the instrument cluster / windshield / fairing parts or not enough clearance between bar grips and tank / rest of bike at full lock.
Dropping the bike in a way which pushes the steering to full lock will smash things or crush fingers.

I have had a look at several bikes.  I don't see the issue.  Please can all owners of 1200 LC's post pics of crushed fingers and smashed things here.  Let us see what is wrong so we can make plans to fix the problem.  :o
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2013, 04:39:59 pm »

I have had a look at several bikes.  I don't see the issue.  Please can all owners of 1200 LC's post pics of crushed fingers and smashed things here.  Let us see what is wrong so we can make plans to fix the problem.  :o

This was a problem on a few of the very first bikes as far as I know. Mine definately does not have this "problem" or any "tank slap tendencies.

Do not react on trolling statements from LeCap!

Offline lecap

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2013, 08:56:00 am »

I have had a look at several bikes.  I don't see the issue.  Please can all owners of 1200 LC's post pics of crushed fingers and smashed things here.  Let us see what is wrong so we can make plans to fix the problem.  :o

This was a problem on a few of the very first bikes as far as I know. Mine definately does not have this "problem" or any "tank slap tendencies.

Do not react on trolling statements from LeCap!

What is wrong with you ???

Benn Nevis asked a question and I gave a very well founded technical and clear answer.
He can take my advice and easily check if he has an issue on his bike.

Alternatively he can take your advice
"his was a problem on a few of the very first bikes as far as I know. Mine definately does not have this "problem" or any "tank slap tendencies.
and stick it where the sun does not shine because your advice is utterly useless as it does not answer the question.

Why don't you just rather tell him to take his bike to the agents and ask them ::)

Am I a troll just because I don't fall into the all is wonderful BMW appraisal choir ???

Does BMW pay you for calling me a troll ???

And why don't they call me a troll on the KLR branch where I've uncovered five times more garbage build into the bikes ???
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:56:43 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2013, 06:44:30 pm »
Yes LeCap.  You have done very well for the KLR (and DR) guys, etc.  You know what you are talking about and you have lots of personal experience to share.  You don't use speculation or assumptions to form your opinion.  Every KLR rider stands to gain from your input.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2013, 06:57:06 pm »
Not long ago I was talking to someone that owns(part) of a BMW dealership.

We were talking about the journo that died on the first day out on the LC.

After the accident they took a LC with cameras mounted and a chopper in the air
and three different riders whom two I know well.

They rode that road up and down throwing the bike around and different  speeds and not once did it
tankslap.

In the end they said the chances are very good the journo was busy with the knob
on the leftbar that controls all the functions and ran off the road.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2013, 09:21:46 pm »
Indeed Chris, if you read all the available reports/articles there was nobody close to witness what happened. The rider lost control and crashed, because of the low visibility (dust) the next rider slammed into him. He might have been able to walk away from the first incident, we will never know.

Subsequently, some journalists speculated that the first incident may have been caused by the headshake reported by some riders. However, even these journalists said that the conditions where poor, the road had some deep ruts to one side and it is very likely that the rider drifted into these ruts and lost control.

We can only speculate regarding what killed him. RIP Kevin Ash.

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2013, 10:17:48 pm »

From what I could gather on ADV Rider Forum, some owners had there bikes swapped out because of this. Easy to check
I noticed my RH Side hand guard bashing into the screen under full lock, all this means is that at full lock you could turn tighter right than left
Imo it is just sloppy and I do not see any issues in riding as it is! Unless you ride to the extremes in very technical terrain where one could conceivably require more ability to turn left at full lock. 

Offline lecap

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2013, 08:39:42 am »
Thanks for posting the pictures.
The real problem lies not here but in the hand guard making contact with the screen.

If your screen or fairings limit the steering angle instead of the steering stops on the suspension & frame you will sooner or later end up with broken stuff :-\

This problem is common when people fit aftermarket handlebars, windshields and hand guards or any combination of those.

Offline DaveT

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • This is my personal text
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2013, 07:05:04 am »
Topic relevant and a very good explanation:

http://youtu.be/SkDPMLxAZP0

Offline lecap

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2013, 09:14:40 am »
Dave I commented on this before somewhere.
There is an important difference between rider induced and road surface induced instability.
The video shows that the bikes basic setup is correct.
I would not expect anything else from any bike regardless who build it.

Tank slap is a freak accident and takes a number of factors to coincide to rear its head. In theory every bike will tank slap if just the circumstances are right (or rather wrong :D )
The question should be: "Is the R1200GS more likely to tank slap than another comparable bike?"

To find the answer you will have to ride lots of those bikes over plenty and plenty of kilometres under all circumstances.

Offline Callie GS

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2013, 04:20:53 pm »
Dave I commented on this before somewhere.
There is an important difference between rider induced and road surface induced instability.
The video shows that the bikes basic setup is correct.
I would not expect anything else from any bike regardless who build it.

Tank slap is a freak accident and takes a number of factors to coincide to rear its head. In theory every bike will tank slap if just the circumstances are right (or rather wrong :D )
The question should be: "Is the R1200GS more likely to tank slap than another comparable bike?"

To find the answer you will have to ride lots of those bikes over plenty and plenty of kilometres under all circumstances.

Good answer !! :thumleft:
If you are not scared of your dreams , they are not big enough!!