Adventure kit - what do you use? What's the best for our climate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseH

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Hey fellow doggies

Here's the ever standing question, what to buy, what not to buy, value for money, versatility...

I don't smaak wasting money. I have tried airflow this, removable inners that.

One set of kit I saw and tried on in a shop was probably the best I've seen. An IXS jacket that opens up like a dung beetle spreading its wings. The ENTIRE back panel unzips with a netting type airflow. The breast pockets fold completely open and let air in. Arm airflow. The works. Same for the pants section.
But it costs over R4k and another R3k or so for the pants.

Here's my thoughts:

I live in Nelspruit. It's summer here most of the year. It often gets to 35+degrees. The amount of time that it gets cold is min... Furthermore, the amount of time one might spend on the bike when it MIGHT be cold is even less.

So, I have opted to use the ballistics type armour for riding as the type of riding I do is, more often that not, day trips in the area. Wearing a jacket, or suit, of ANY sort in such heat can kill a ou!

Now, prices...? One could easily spend in the region of 3-4k on a jacket that only works either in summer or in winter, therefore the need for 2 jackets. Ie +_R8k that u need to own and only wear them on the odd occasion it's cold. 

Here's what I think: spend 2k on ballistics armour. Cape union mart sell a lekker winter jacket with removable fleece and wind and water proof bla bla for less than 2k. Which you wear over the armour and bob's your unty! Less than 4k (ie half the price) you got winter and summer, rain and wind for your torso. Versatility, cost effective, not skimping on protection etc. 
That sounds Shap to me!

I wanna hear what you ou's think... What have you used that works in the heat etc?