Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wife and her own bike causes me great stress!! Help please  (Read 2138 times)

Offline lecap

Re: Wife and her own bike causes me great stress!! Help please
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 08:02:55 am »
Let her do the learners first of all. I am sure it's not making her confident to know that there will be more ort less unpleasant complications IF something happens.

Then just ride with her and do it the way she likes: I.E she wants you to lead or follow, let her determine the speed, and most importantly stop worrying.

BTW my only proper crash in years was me trying to see Mrs. Le Cap in the mirrors. Earned me a cracked rib & a scratched bike :-\ Needless to say that there was no need to worry, she was doing fine up until the moment she saw me crash :-\
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Chrissie B

• Chrissie the Gypsy
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda NC750X
  • Still love my Twin
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 09:50:56 am »

I think the majority of women are just not as quick with learning to ride bikes (or drive cars for that fact).  Let your wife ride where there is not so much traffic, around quiet suburbs and out of town.  Nervous riders and drivers in traffic are dangerous, you need to be confident and wide awake.  I would say let her practice as much as possible, but if she doesn't improve in a few months, then maybe it's safer if she doesn't ride her own bike.

I rode my first bike when I was about 16, I stole a friend's 50cc Yammie and took it from Edenvale to Joburg City centre and I had never ridden a bike before, but I had asked a lot of questions and knew the theory of how it works.  My gear changes and pull off probably sucked, but I made it there and back before he realized his bike was missing!  And at no time did I feel that I can't do it... I felt right at home!

Then 10 years went by without riding a bike again, but the bug was still there and eventually I decided to buy my first bike, a Suzuki GSX 750 Katana.  I rode it to work every day and took my daughter (Grade 1) to school on it.  I am not really nervous in traffic, if anything it just annoys me!

I must admit it's taking me a lot longer to master the off road riding, I stress too much about dropping the bike!  My first duallie was a GS650 Dakar, awfully tall and I only rode it on gravel a couple of times before it got stolen (as did the Katana).  Then I got my first Africa Twin and it was much heavier and almost as tall... but I loved it right away.  I prefer riding a larger bike and me and my Twin like to go on long rides and adventures, often all by myself. 

Good luck and I hope she masters it soon and gets over the fear of traffic.  :thumleft:
Chrissie B.

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 10:31:58 am »
Thanks again for all the advice,  yesterday she went riding alone within our suburb.  When she came back after about 30 mins or so she had a big smile on her face.  We will def. follow all the advice given.  She did go for her license but unfortunately did not pass.  I must admit I blame the book she has, she only had 3 or so answers wrong but said that the info to answer those questions weren't even in the book.  Going to cna today to get a different book and make def. a new edition, as the book she used was an older edition.

I'll let her tell me when she feels right for us to take a short ride together with me behind. I'll give it a couple of months following all the advice.  Luckily with the bike she has, if she decides to only do dirt, that's cool too.

I'll post back about this in a couple of month... Thanks again dogs

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 11:02:56 am »

Ek het ook probeer om my vrou te leer .
 Dit het nie vir ons gewerk nie.
 Ek stel voor dat jy iemand soos ADA te betaal om die gryshare te kry om haar te leer.
 Die kursuse wat ek by hulle , en ook ander opleiers soos Janstaal , BMW , ens. gedoen het , was elke sent werd.
 Dit kos dalk 'n "klomp" geld maar alles wat ek op opleieding spandeer het , sou goedkoper wees as n besoek by 'n hospitaal,
 al sou dit vir net x-strale wees. Maak die somme en dit sal dit bewys.
 My vrou het letterlik haar boude  4 jaar terug afgeval sonder behoorlike , "onafhanklike", professionele opleiding.
 Sy het sleg geval omdat sy gevries het. Baie pyn, X-strale, af van die werk af , fiets gebuig, klomp geld by die drein af en nie weer in 
 4 jaar gery nie, outch ! SY is nou eers lus om weer te ry , dan gaan sy die regte ding doen , KURSUSE by die profisionele opleiers !
 Doen die slim ding , jy gaan tyd en op die lang duur , ook geld spaar.
 Nie eers te praat oor die gryshare wat nie gaan uitkom nie. !

Offline LisaCap

• Puppy
  • Be the change you want to see
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 10:47:19 am »
Hi all,

I am the wife in question over here  :) and would like to say thank you to everyone's comments and advice.

I can relate to Rynet's post, i definately didnt growup with bikes and only got exposed to them through Eddy.

For a long time I didnt think that me riding my own bike could be a reality because im not a petrol head and a speed freak, but seeing different types of genre's of motorcycling made me think there should be one to suit who I am and tap into my inner "adventurer"

After seeing pictures of sandy and muddy bikes in remote and extraordinary places, to me that's the epitome of freedom and getting that sence of freedom is what appeals to me.

Although I have not been riding for a long time, and am nervous around traffic, I enjoyed my little suburb ride and for a moment I felt like i wasnt just trying to practice and get comfortable, I actually felt apart of the "open road". I can only imagine what it must feel like doing a trip and seeing new places and travelling a road that you've never seen. That's real freedom...

I still have a lot to learn and lots of confidence to gain, but I just need to hold my motorcycle dream in sight...

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 11:06:42 am »
Well done to you!  Keep chipping away at getting the saddle time you need, and suddenly, one-day, you will just feel a lot more confident than you are now...
Rynet is one of the best examples out there o f a very nervous girl rider that has taken her dream and made it happen, proving that you can too! 
:thumleft:
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 11:16:33 am »
Hi Lisa,

Once my kids had learned to physically ride their bikes around the neighbourhood, I took them to a big, busy shopping centre parking lot on a Saturday morning to practice traffic awareness. You have cars coming for you at all directions, but its slow. It works to give you the sense of whats going on around you.

Don't give up  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Skirt

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • life is just as deadly as it looks
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 11:25:32 am »
Let her go ride herself - without you. Then all her decisions are her own, where to turn, how fast to ride, what road to be on, when to hit the gravel, when to be in traffic, etc.

If she enjoys it, the rest will follow - her ability, her confidence and a desire to show you what she can do.

That's when you should be riding together - when you know the other rider can look after themselves.

AND enjoy this time you have for yourself, coz once she's got the hang of it, your free time is over!!

This is the best advice on this thread.  You have to ride by yourself, make your own decisions, work through your own stresses and panics and then decide if this is for you.  Whether you ride gravel or traffic you have to sort your own style out for yourself.  Unfortunately in the fast paced world today it's not really possible to take "a couple of years" to get competent. This is just my opinion and in no way applicable to everyone.  It worked for me though.

Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with?  That's me!

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 11:38:12 am »
Thanks again for all the advice,  yesterday she went riding alone within our suburb.  When she came back after about 30 mins or so she had a big smile on her face.  We will def. follow all the advice given.  She did go for her license but unfortunately did not pass.  I must admit I blame the book she has, she only had 3 or so answers wrong but said that the info to answer those questions weren't even in the book.  Going to cna today to get a different book and make def. a new edition, as the book she used was an older edition.

I'll let her tell me when she feels right for us to take a short ride together with me behind. I'll give it a couple of months following all the advice.  Luckily with the bike she has, if she decides to only do dirt, that's cool too.

I'll post back about this in a couple of month... Thanks again dogs
Holding thumbs for her to pass her learners but please until then keep her off public roads. Should she be involved in an altercation with another vehicle your insurance will not cover anything and you may well end up paying for the other idiots damage that did not see her! Rather stick to trailering the bike to somewhere where she can practice her dirt riding.
I have two mates that had very bad experiences with their kids being involved in minor accidents on plot roads... cost them a truckload in legal fees and in the end they had to pay.

Online Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 07:08:24 am »
Hi all,

I am the wife in question over here  :) and would like to say thank you to everyone's comments and advice.

I can relate to Rynet's post, i definately didnt growup with bikes and only got exposed to them through Eddy.

For a long time I didnt think that me riding my own bike could be a reality because im not a petrol head and a speed freak, but seeing different types of genre's of motorcycling made me think there should be one to suit who I am and tap into my inner "adventurer"

After seeing pictures of sandy and muddy bikes in remote and extraordinary places, to me that's the epitome of freedom and getting that sence of freedom is what appeals to me.

Although I have not been riding for a long time, and am nervous around traffic, I enjoyed my little suburb ride and for a moment I felt like i wasnt just trying to practice and get comfortable, I actually felt apart of the "open road". I can only imagine what it must feel like doing a trip and seeing new places and travelling a road that you've never seen. That's real freedom...

I still have a lot to learn and lots of confidence to gain, but I just need to hold my motorcycle dream in sight...

Awesome LisaCap , hold on tight to your dream. :ricky:  And welcome to the forum . :3some:

Offline lecap

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 07:13:03 am »
FYI: LisaCap is not related to me! :lol8:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 07:21:47 am »
What makes women as a group safer drivers than men, is in my own opinion also their great drawback on motorcycles. Their naturally higher sense of survival makes them safe car drivers , BUT I believe that their lack of aggression makes them less suitable as bikers.

Sorry, I have no secret recipe for getting your loved one out on a bike safely, except to say that only time in the saddle will make her see that she can be OK.

However, more time in the saddle also bring increased risk.

We cannot win, it seems.

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 09:33:29 am »
Hi all,

I am the wife in question over here  :)

Hi Lisa. First get a thick skin - some members here lack a bit of finesse, but there is a lot to learn here too so it is worth staying.
Get your rider's license.
Enjoy your bike.

Attend an off-road riding course - I VERY HIGHLY recommend the ADA one run by Judy ( Malibu ) if you live in Gauteng. Borrow a trailer to get your bike there if you do it before getting your license. This will improve your on-road riding by a large amount.

Do not learn from your husband - this will lead to a difference of opinion. That is why I stopped trying to teach my wife how to ride.

EDIT:
Read many books. There are some excellent ones available.
I suggest that you start at the wrong end of the spectrum, and read

"Total Control, High Performance Street Riding Techniques " by Lee Parks. Motorbooks. ISBN-13:978-0-7603-1403-6

This is a book about advanced racing techniques, but it explains riding details in a very easy way to follow, but you will need to ride as suggested to understand the techniques. The more you work at it, the better this book is.

"the police rider's handbook to better  motorcycling" policefoundation Motorcycle Roadcraft ISBN 978 0 11 341143 6

Short on detail, but gives the principles of safe riding very nicely.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:52:52 am by Geriatrix »
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline LisaCap

• Puppy
  • Be the change you want to see
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 04:37:12 pm »
Cool, thanks for all the info and advice