Wife and her own bike causes me great stress!! Help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddy81

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hey dogs

I really hope that I can get some great replies on my post...

So I bought my wife a crf250l a while back, she still has to do her learners so we don't ge to ride longer road at the moment.  We stay in Krugersdorp, we usually go play at in the bush on Robert broom drive by the 4x4 track. But we have done a ride or two about 80 Kms both ways.  Everytime we hit the road in traffic there are cagers bullying her on the road,  pushing her onto the shoulder and once onto a (luckily) very flat island between the two lanes of the road. 

So I have spoken to her about riding riding in such a manner to get away from the traffic, tried to teach her what to do and what not to do, she has done an off-road coarse(ada) and a road one (speed queen). But these type of things still happen... She is a very nervous rider, once two baboons ran out in front of her and she didn't even see the one monkey that was right in front of her.

Now the result of all of this is that not only am I a nervous wreck about her, I am starting to kinda put myself in danger too...  I find myself looking in my rear view mirror the whole time, especially I. Traffic when I am supposed to be looking ahead and thinking ahead... 

I would love for her to ride bike with me, and she really wants to, I have told her I couple of times that I think we should rather sell her bike and get her some other form of hobby.  But she doesn't want to let go of her dream to ride bike.

Now at what point do I take a stand and say no,  her nerves are making her unsafe on the road, ( she also doesn't wanna ride infront of me) and jut sell her bike. Or do I sit back and just chill and let her carry on? 

I can't remember that I ever had such nerves riding a bike when I started, maybe for the first km or so, but then it just started to feel second nature to me.  Is it normal to be this stressed about my wife riding a bike with me? Do you guys also go through this when/if you ride with your partner?

I have no idea what to do about this, I even thought maybe a bigger faster bike for her might change the whole thing and enable us to ride safer but I don't think she will ever accelerate fast enough to get out between cars and not allow them to bully her.

What would you guys recommend?