2012 International Six Day Enduro – Germany

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Whatever I thought I knew about ISDE, I really had no clue! If I could mess up something, be late, break a rule or just be plain stupid, I did it all. My six days became three days and that was my absolute limit.

Team SA consisted of one junior team of four riders under 23 and one club team of three riders. Four riders air freighted bikes from SA and three rented/bought bikes from KTM. My bike was a 2013 KTM 250 EXC-F and there is nothing like a new bike. Helped by Kyle to attach the SA sticker kit – to looking the part. Did little else to the bike apart from fitting hand-guards, a mirror and GPS. Administration and technical control went well. Did have to use their race number stickers and to fit a number plate. Certain parts on the bike were marked with paint (silencer, wheel hubs, frame and crankcase) as one could not change these. The sound test proved troublesome from some (max 112+1 dB/A). The bike is then left in Parc Fermé, in the open, till Monday morning. An impressive sight to see 480 bikes standing together.

Saturday and Sunday was spent walking special tests and to do the country parade. We started by walking an enduro test which was rather long – around eight kilometres. As expected, was in a forest with lots of roots and mud. One section had us really worried as it was already rutted but they had made provision for an alternative route. The grass tests a waste to walk as they consisted of corner after corner after another corner.

Monday morning and time to get the show on the road. Collected my bike from Parc Fermé and had ten minutes to do some work on it. Thanks for some good advice from Chris, I check my axle nuts and the front was loose, forgotten to tighten after fitting mousses. Off to the start line on my minute at which time I could start my bike and actually start racing.

Was not used to the route marking and followed riders until I felt comfortable with the system. Arrows are used to mark turns and occasionally, route confirmation markers are shown.

My first encounter with my Japanese competitor was at corner not far from the start where he stopped and I asked if he wanted to ride together. He waved me on but we ended up passing each other several times per day. Had our own little competition at the back of the field.

From the start I just missed my time checks which was a worry. Completing six days was going to be close as I could only fall one hour behind my schedule before being retired.

The riding was spectacular and totally different to what I am used to. Riding on roads with cars, stopping at intersections, spectators everywhere and still having to navigate. The special tests way faster than I have ever ridden yet still safe. Not incredibly technical but totally exhausting. Concentrating and riding hard for that length of time challenging. The road sections gave one some time to rest yet one still had to move. Loved every minute. On the tough climbs and at deep mud pits, marshals always helped club riders. Never stopped moving except at the service points. Unfortunately, as I was a bit slow, well, more than a bit slow, I never really had much time to rest and ended up racing the whole day.

At the end of day two, I had to change my rear tyre which was an exercise I would rather forget. One only has 15 minutes to change tyres and I needed all of that time and I was still late.

Day three was a new track and more enduro oriented. Despite the route being fantastic, I was not keeping up a good pace in the forests and by my second time check was running half an hour behind. My day was rapidly coming to an end. Had a tumble down a steep bank which did not help matters either. Held on for the first loop and was ‘houred out’ on my second loop. This was at a service point and I could follow Ernst back to the pits on tar – rode down the autobahn on my bike, in the slow lane though.

Day four and it was raining. As a club rider one has the option of restarting once but I was over it at this point. The track would have been even harder and my chances of going fast enough to finish the day, nil.

Changed to spectator mode and enjoyed watching the bikes flying through the special test which I had so struggled on. Still all part of the experience. 

Day five and a new track. Watching the special tests and by this time feeling slightly more normal again.

Day six was a fun day with all the action happening around Sachsenring. Was also a sad day as it was all coming to an end. The last thing I did was to swop riding shirts. Got one from the Japanese team which will be a great memento.

The prize giving was a French affair with them winning everything.

Sunday turned out to be special, with the help of Daniel, we spent the afternoon in Prague. How about that!

Monday was packing time and time to go home.

Six days turned out to be almost a lifetime and I can now better appreciate the mystic of this race and why it draws such a large following. Next year, would love to be able to try again, not sure what people would have to say considering this years performance. Better start practicing corners and tyre changes!