Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF450x standard hand gaurds  (Read 482 times)

Offline Tiger Shark

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • We are here - to drink your beer !!!!!!!!
CRF450x standard hand gaurds
« on: August 20, 2013, 04:04:05 pm »
Hi guys

I still have the plastic handgaurds on my CRF450X and are taking strain - have fallen quite a bit!!

Do you think I should leave them or replace and with what?

thanks
XT550 - sold
CRF 450X - sold
WR450F  ............braaap of prefferance

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: CRF450x standard hand gaurds
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:19:29 pm »
For tight enduro type riding I would go for wrap around type, Cycra very good but expensive. I also likes the Enduro Engineering ones  :thumleft:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:33:51 pm »
yeah, with the CRF you are going to fall and the guards take strain, I went with the Hyde hand guards, also not the cheapest at just on R800 but there are some things I like about them.

1) you can buy the guards in a pack, it comes with 2 extra sets of plastics.. well worth it.
2) Parts are easily available
3) The alu wrap around can take a massive knock, your bars will bend before they do

As with most protectors the issue is the mechanics behins what holds the whole lot in place.. with the Hyde they don't break but they don't always stay in place, it is a good idea to carry an alan key
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 07:54:26 pm »
3) The alu wrap around can take a massive knock, your bars will bend before they do
I used two different kinds of Cycra alu wrap around's and they bend like twigs. I never tried the hyde ones; they are way too ugly  :eek7:

I moved away from alu wrap around's:
  • They will almost always bend and after breaking my wrist, it was a bitch bending them back before being able to ride the bike.
  • If you fall in a bad way, they can induce serious damage to the rider.
  • Wrap guards clutter my bar in such a way that I can mount my GPS in only one place which is a pain-> the brake line catches the damn thing when the suspension compresses a lot.

I run unbreakable leavers and lightly fasten the perches to the bars. To protect my hands from the elements, I use standard handguards.

This is the same setup used by JCR racing and it works better for me too.
JCR:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:07:59 pm by swart skaap »

-- Jou lekke ding! --