Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why yellow/orange head lamps?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline KaTooMatt

Re: Why yellow/orange head lamps?
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 10:03:14 am »
The law says you may have yellow or amber headlight. By definition the traffic light orange is amber so I use one.

Some claim you may not put something in front of your lens that would diffuse the light. I have looked but can't find this supposed law. Also if it did exist all those stone chip protectors would also be illegal
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 10:08:10 am »
it makes the sun reflect at a 32 degree angle to the earth in order for the fairies to produce moon dust

Sounds like nonsense to me.  I was told it is to reflect sunlight away from the Canbus Flux Generator, making it last longer and thereby avoiding having to stop to reset the Canbus Flux Generator constantly.

But to what extent are they legal?

Law states that forward facing lights can be white, yellow or amber as long as lights in the same class are the same colour.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:09:36 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013, 12:41:34 pm »
FV and MDT, it seems that you havent been around the block to long?

It seems as if your funny comment-o-meter is broken.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013, 12:46:17 pm »
it makes the sun reflect at a 32 degree angle to the earth in order for the fairies to produce moon dust

Sounds like nonsense to me.  I was told it is to reflect sunlight away from the Canbus Flux Generator, making it last longer and thereby avoiding having to stop to reset the Canbus Flux Generator constantly.

Law states that forward facing lights can be white, yellow or amber as long as lights in the same class are the same colour.

I need some interpretation here. What does it mean " white, yellow or amber as  long as lights int he same class are the same colour?" :sip:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:48:31 pm by Mzee »
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »
If you have a triumph with side by side headlights. You must cover both and not just one. They are both headlights. That is a class. In terms of forward facing lights possible classes are indicators, headlights. high beam, low beam (if they're separate), fog lights, spot lights and/or driving lights.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 01:08:24 pm »
From what I have read having Googled "national traffic act" they are not legal and especially so at night.

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »
Rob what does it say. What is the regulation number I have down loaded the whole act while checking. But I have not found ghe one people refer to.

I take my Orange covers off at night anyway as then I want to see as much as be seen, In the day there is more than enough light and I want to stand out.

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 01:35:25 pm »

I need some interpretation here. What does it mean " white, yellow or amber as  long as lights int he same class are the same colour?" :sip:

Both flickers, same colour.  Both driving lights, same colour.  Both spot, or fog lights. same colour.

From what I have read having Googled "national traffic act" they are not legal and especially so at night.

You must have miss-Googled!   :ricky:

National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act No. 93 of 1996)
National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
Chapter VI : Fitness of Vehicles
Part II : Equipment on or in respect of vehicles
181. Colour of lights

1)  Subject to the provisions of regulation 170(1), 171(1), 172, 175 or 176, no person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle which is fitted with or carries on it a lamp which

a)  except in the case of a brake anti-lock warning light to the front of a trailer, emits a light which is not white, amber or yellow in colour towards the front;

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:38:38 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »

You must have miss-Googled!   :ricky:

National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act No. 93 of 1996)
National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
Chapter VI : Fitness of Vehicles
Part II : Equipment on or in respect of vehicles
181. Colour of lights

1)  Subject to the provisions of regulation 170(1), 171(1), 172, 175 or 176, no person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle which is fitted with or carries on it a lamp which

a)  except in the case of a brake anti-lock warning light to the front of a trailer, emits a light which is not white, amber or yellow in colour towards the front;

and you missed the night part... :sip:

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 01:40:47 pm »

[/quote]

You sort of said: "From what I have read having Googled "national traffic act" they are not legal and especially so at night. ", i.e. illegal by day, more illegal by night.  The law, as quoted above, does not say either.    
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:42:08 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 01:48:15 pm »

You sort of said: "From what I have read having Googled "national traffic act" they are not legal and especially so at night. ", i.e. illegal by day, more illegal by night.  The law, as quoted above, does not say either.    
[/quote]READ the whole act and you will become enlightened and then realize why I said what I said. Too busy to look it up again myself. There is mention of headlamps not being allowed to be diffused too... :sip:

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 01:54:59 pm »
The law says you may have yellow or amber headlight. By definition the traffic light orange is amber so I use one.

Some claim you may not put something in front of your lens that would diffuse the light. I have looked but can't find this supposed law. Also if it did exist all those stone chip protectors would also be illegal
What needs to be done is that bike groups should petition for the use, it does make a bike more visible during the day. But at night it makes the rider see less of what is ahead.
My advise is to stay legal by adding more lights... or ride more dirt... :sip:

Offline Toors

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 02:09:25 pm »

What needs to be done is that bike groups should petition for the use, it does make a bike more visible during the day. But at night it makes the rider see less of what is ahead.
My advise is to stay legal by adding more lights... or ride more dirt... :sip:

to be realistic... when last was somebody fined for using an orange cover?  I take mine off in the dark in any event.
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 02:11:16 pm »

to be realistic... when last was somebody fined for using an orange cover?  I take mine off in the dark in any event.
So? What is the fuss then? :biggrin:

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 03:58:46 pm »
there IS no fuss down here in the Cape - a very high percentage of all bikes have O.H.L.P's (Orange Head Light Protectors), and apart from the odd, very isolated incident, the local authorities are totally cool with the color Orange, for day-time running.

15 years ago, the Government MANDATED that motorcycle headlights be 'always on', to increase the safety aspect when differentiating a (smaller) bike from a (bigger) car.

Then 3 years ago, Talk Radio 702 and Cape Talk 567 introduced the 'Lead with your Lights' campaign as a part of the bigger 'Lead SA' campaign, aimed at getting CAR drivers to turn light on in DAYTIME, in a bid to reduce the very high number of PEDESTRIAN fatalities.

Motorcycles thus 'lost' the one advantage they (and SAAB/Volvo?) owners had, which was lights always on...

Although O.H.L.P's were introduced before this campaign, in the interim the numbers of people choosing to fit them has increased massively.

Cheers!
Chris

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:12:08 pm by zebra »
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 05:36:43 pm »

READ the whole act and you will become enlightened and then realize why I said what I said. Too busy to look it up again myself. There is mention of headlamps not being allowed to be diffused too... :sip:
[/quote]

Not in this part.

It is mentioned elsewhere in the act,  but that is an interesting part since whether is is diffused or not is not something the eye can decide,  just as the ear cannot decide the pipe is to loud.  Cops do not have light meters with them and neither do I,  so I cannot know if my light is diffused in anyway.  Also,  many methods of filtering light,  without diffusing it.

In the end,  your bike.  Your choice.  :sip:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 03:12:44 am »
Well, an informative thread.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Jacoboos

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Tomorrow is not another day
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 07:41:39 am »
Also, when some bright orange approaches from behind, cagers suddenly remember but they also have an orange thingy which can be quite useful.
on a bike sometimes you win and sometimes you don't...but you never lose

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 09:54:06 am »
To me, regardless of legal, or illegal, it makes me more visible.  Even if illegal, it will be in the same category as not displaying your license disc as prescribed, but have it under the seat.  99,999999% of cops, understand.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!