Jameson Brothers explore Southern Namibia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funacide

Race Dog
Administrator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Southern Namibia – June 2013
The plan for the trip started early in 2013 with Popipants and myself discussing where we should be going for the year. 2012 was the first year we had not done a full trip due to my accident in 2011 and various other time issues. In other words it was long overdue and we were looking forward to it more than is imaginable.

Initially a breakfast was arranged between the 3 Jameson brothers and the Orphan that joined in Botswana in 2010 (Funacide, Popipants, Plothond & >Herman<). Initial thoughts were discussed about the location for the next trip, two main areas were identified, Zimbabwe and Northern Cap/Southern Namibia. Popipants and myself had already routed these 2 destinations and were at the time favoring Zimbabwe (that is before talk of elections in late June in Zimbabwe started hitting the press). Discussions around bikes, petrol and preferred mechanisms of getting there were discussed amongst those trailering to a starting point was very high on the agenda. We are getting old and doing a thousand km’s in the freezing cold is getting old now so we would definitely be using a trailer for Day 0 and the last day.

The trip was schedule for the first week end of May and then postponed due to business reasons to start on Saturday the 8th of June 2013.

As the days got closer, regular excited phone calls and Whatsapp’s were exchanged, bikes were serviced, tires purchased and gear rechecked. One of the individuals that was going to join the trip (whose name will not be mentioned…..) had to get KTM to do a major service on his bike due to the fact that it had not even been started for almost a year and the injectors and fuel pump was more than likely stuffed.

Closer to the time the group went down to 3 with >Herman< pulling out and then Plothond fading on us. Popipants and myself were still a go and arranged from >Herman< to borrow his trailer that would be hitched to my Fortuner…

The plan was to head to Southern Namibia via the Northern Cape using Upington as a base and explore some of the most beautiful scenery that Namibia has to offer. Hopefully the pics later in the report will do it justice.

Daily+Tracks.png

The Routes followed for this Trip (Key bottom left of the pic)

Day 0 to follow...