Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: WD UAV/Drone thread  (Read 36617 times)

Offline Slaaiblaar

Re: WD UAV/Drone thread
« Reply #480 on: August 26, 2017, 05:35:29 pm »
Nothing  :biggrin:

Joke, I use a drone to inspect crops which makes it commercial use. I also work for a listed company, so doing things to the letter.

If you fly commercially, the company needs a ROC, registered UAVs as well as licensed pilots.

Cool, wat vlieg jy?
Moes alles stop oor die ROC reels

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bultfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 26, 2017, 06:11:16 pm »
Gewone phantom 3. Doen net visuele inspeksies, maar die maatskappy het ook vastevlerk met NDVI kameras ens, maar is nog nie wettig nie  :biggrin:

Ja die ROC is n groot storie, so rukkie terug was nog net 8 of so goedgekeur in SA. All in all is dit maar n geldmaak storie van CAA, maar die dag wat iets skeef loop moet die goed eerder reg wees. Drone vs cropsprayer gaan n redelike berig in die koerante wees.

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #482 on: November 05, 2017, 04:07:52 pm »
So I got my RPL (remote pilot license) a week or two ago  8)

Guess I qualify for a set of Ray Bans now...

Hi there, how and where do you get this licence?  and what did it cost.
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bultfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 05, 2017, 07:17:27 pm »
Hi Pilchie

I did mine at Pro Wings flight school in JHB, but on the SACAA website is a list of accredited flight schools. It was about R30k if I include accommodation, travel etc as I stay in the Free State...

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 05, 2017, 07:24:41 pm »
 :sip:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline meurig

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 11, 2018, 11:30:10 am »
Sorry if this has been covered before but I bought a camera drone and returned it again.

I bought it to add some footage to my YouTube channel - MeurigXP

The Civil Aviation Authority has told me that if I wish to add footage to YouTube I need a Commercial remote piloted aircraft license - no exemptions for size or weight.  They referred me to UAV in Cape Town who confirmed the same but added you can upload footage to FaceBook but not YouTube as FaceBook is a closed circle of your chosen contacts.  UAV suggested a commercial license may take 2 - 3 years to obtain.

For Private Use (hobby use/recreation use with no uploads to YouTube etc) there are also limitations 50m from a public road, 50m from private property, 50m from any person, 10km away from any airport or airfield, nowhere near key points, check for restricted airspace etc. etc.
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline silvrav

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 11, 2018, 11:37:49 am »
Sorry if this has been covered before but I bought a camera drone and returned it again.

The Civil Aviation Authority has told me that if I wish to add footage to YouTube I need a Commercial remote piloted aircraft license - no exemptions for size or weight.  They referred me to UAV in Cape Town who confirmed the same but added you can upload footage to FaceBook but not YouTube as FaceBook is a closed circle of your chosen contacts.  UAV suggested a commercial license may take 2 - 3 years to obtain.

For Private Use (hobby use/recreation use with no uploads to YouTube etc) there are also limitations 50m from a public road, 50m from private property, 50m from any person, 10km away from any airport or airfield, nowhere near key points, check for restricted airspace etc. etc.

vokken backyard thinking...they do know you can post publically on facebook? they do know you can post to limited people on youtube as well....retards!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:31:08 pm by silvrav »

Online Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • View Profile
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #487 on: July 11, 2018, 02:04:28 pm »
Pos jy na YouTube in jou persoonlike hoedanigheid?  Ek het al videos op my YT kanaal gelaai sonder pyne.  Ek dink stuur hulle na 'n warm plek toe.  Daar is deesdae tť veel nonsens reŽls en regulasies terwyl die werklike probleme geÔgnoreer word.

Pos bietjie en plaas die skakel hier.
Die manteldraaier maak vriende al in die rondte, totdat hy op die end al in die rondte vyande het.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #488 on: July 12, 2018, 07:51:38 am »

This is BS
No mention of Youtube in UAV law

As a hobbyist you can do what you want with your footage just as long as jou do not monetise your videos or use it to gain from it. Like advertising for you business

Post videos on your personal Youtube channel and stick to the Hobby laws and you'll be fine

Offline meurig

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 12, 2018, 08:24:34 am »

This is BS

As a hobbyist you can do what you want with your footage just as long as jou do not monetise your videos or use it to gain from it. Like advertising for you business

Post videos on your personal Youtube channel and stick to the Hobby laws and you'll be fine

The issue is that on YouTube it is in the public domain and can be used for commercial purposes or so I was told.  If you only use the drone for recreation or even keep you videos on FaceBook in a closed circle of contacts - no license required.  However if you have a page on FaceBook like John Doe Photography which is open to the public - you need a commercial RPA license

Offline noble steed

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 12, 2018, 09:22:04 am »

This is BS

The issue is that on YouTube it is in the public domain and can be used for commercial purposes or so I was told.  If you only use the drone for recreation or even keep you videos on FaceBook in a closed circle of contacts - no license required.  However if you have a page on FaceBook like John Doe Photography which is open to the public - you need a commercial RPA license

If your video is used commercially, be it for your business website, sold to clients (real estate, advertising etc), or a business facebook page, then you need a commercial licence. If it is on a personal youtube page which is not monetised, then go for it hobby style.

CAA also not policing youtube/facebook anyway, they will only respond if a complaint lodged against you.

Another reason for getting a RPL is for insurance - there are no insurance companies in SA which will insure a drone for liability cover, or accident while flying/fly-away cover, if you do not hold a license. At least none that I know of. My Mavic only covered for theft or damage while on the ground

Offline meurig

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 12, 2018, 09:56:17 am »

This is BS

If your video is used commercially, be it for your business website, sold to clients (real estate, advertising etc), or a business facebook page, then you need a commercial licence. If it is on a personal youtube page which is not monetised, then go for it hobby style.

CAA also not policing youtube/facebook anyway, they will only respond if a complaint lodged against you.

Another reason for getting a RPL is for insurance - there are no insurance companies in SA which will insure a drone for liability cover, or accident while flying/fly-away cover, if you do not hold a license. At least none that I know of. My Mavic only covered for theft or damage while on the ground

Mine YouTube is monetised for just in case, I doubt I will meet the criteria to receive advertising income anytime soon
The RPA License is how much and takes how long?
The guys CAA referred me to said 2-3 years and here or there R150k?

Offline noble steed

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 12, 2018, 10:21:59 am »

This is BS

Mine YouTube is monetised for just in case, I doubt I will meet the criteria to receive advertising income anytime soon
The RPA License is how much and takes how long?
The guys CAA referred me to said 2-3 years and here or there R150k?

As far as I know, there are places in Jhb that do it, over about 2 weeks, costs about R20k, valid for 3 years.
http://www.prowings.co.za/remote-pilot-licence/

The following users thanked this post: meurig

Offline meurig

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 12, 2018, 10:25:30 am »
Cheers better than the R150k I was told

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 12, 2018, 10:51:44 am »
If I may chip-in...

I am considering getting myself one of those DJI Ryze Tello mini-drones to play with.  Do any of the rules and regulations regarding RPA apply to such a drone?  For instance, do I need to be 50m away from any person or group of persons to fly it?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:52:06 am by ChristoffGS »
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline meurig

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 12, 2018, 10:57:09 am »
If I may chip-in...

I am considering getting myself one of those DJI Ryze Tello mini-drones to play with.  Do any of the rules and regulations regarding RPA apply to such a drone?  For instance, do I need to be 50m away from any person or group of persons to fly it?

https://www.dronedeals.co.za/south-african-drone-laws-7-most-important-rules/

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
    • View Profile

Offline noble steed

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 12, 2018, 11:34:18 am »
If I may chip-in...

I interpret that to be members of the public, persons who are not part of your drone flying/persons who have not given permission to be flown over/filmed.

So taking selfies of your group of friends who are all aware and approve of the drone hovering above them - go for it!

But regarding the rules and regulations, there are rules and regulations in place, according to the road traffic act, that state you may not exceed 100kph in a rural area unless on a marked highway, in which case you are limited to 120kph. BUT, sometimes, I'm sure you feel the urge to push the boundary, possibly moving past the limits set by the rules ever so slightly..?
You may find the same thing happening when flying  :peepwall:

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:37 am »
If I may chip-in...

I interpret that to be members of the public, persons who are not part of your drone flying/persons who have not given permission to be flown over/filmed.

So taking selfies of your group of friends who are all aware and approve of the drone hovering above them - go for it!

But regarding the rules and regulations, there are rules and regulations in place, according to the road traffic act, that state you may not exceed 100kph in a rural area unless on a marked highway, in which case you are limited to 120kph. BUT, sometimes, I'm sure you feel the urge to push the boundary, possibly moving past the limits set by the rules ever so slightly..?

Thanks Noble.  It seems a bit silly to have all these rules and regulations for what is basically a toy the size of your hand (specifically referring to the Tello) which happens to have a camera on board...  Me riding my motorcycle down the street with a gopro on my helmet is a far worse combination, though I am not restricted w.r.t. distance I may ride from a person / group of persons? ???
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 12, 2018, 11:41:31 am »
If I may chip-in...

Thanks Noble.  It seems a bit silly to have all these rules and regulations for what is basically a toy the size of your hand (specifically referring to the Tello) which happens to have a camera on board...  Me riding my motorcycle down the street with a gopro on my helmet is a far worse combination, though I am not restricted w.r.t. distance I may ride from a person / group of persons? ???
If it flies it is dangerous... beurocracy has a tendency to take the fun out of things... :sip: :biggrin: