Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Best way to carry extra fuel  (Read 1450 times)

Online Straatkat

Best way to carry extra fuel
« on: August 27, 2013, 08:37:37 pm »
Would like to carry some extra fuel, maybe 5L or so. Without going to a bigger tank (Safari $$$$$) what could one do?
12L tank, but you cannot fill it as it spills out the overflow, so maybe 10L if you are lucky, and with my riding style I get around 180km until the reserve light comes a knockin, thought of putting a 2L coke bottle in each side of my Giant Loop Coyote bag, at least that won't stress the subframe too much. Second option maybe build a 5L tank that hangs on the other side almost a second  silencer??
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Best way to carry extra fuel
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:21:30 am »
Hi have a Nomad fender mount tank and works brilliantly - used it in Lesotho etc and can also be transferred easily for use on other bikes. OZ company like Safari.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:29:08 am »
Contact Piston Pete for a 7L Fuel Bladder (which you roll up and pack away when empty)

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:58:41 am »
Would like to carry some extra fuel, maybe 5L or so. Without going to a bigger tank (Safari $$$$$) what could one do?
12L tank, but you cannot fill it as it spills out the overflow, so maybe 10L if you are lucky, and with my riding style I get around 180km until the reserve light comes a knockin, thought of putting a 2L coke bottle in each side of my Giant Loop Coyote bag, at least that won't stress the subframe too much. Second option maybe build a 5L tank that hangs on the other side almost a second  silencer??

Had the same problem with the KDX.
Toe trek ek die buurman se vrou nader met haar naaimasjien  ;D
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Frog

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »
The best way but not the cheapest is a Rotopax fuel container
Triumph Thuxton R
Triumph Bonneville T120
KTM 990R
KTM 990 Adventure (sold), BMW 650 Xchallenge (sold)
BMW 1200GSA (sold)

Online Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:00:50 pm »
Contact Piston Pete for a 7L Fuel Bladder (which you roll up and pack away when empty)

+1 Got one myself and works great.

Skipskop idea is also cool.   :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 03:22:06 pm »
The best way but not the cheapest is a Rotopax fuel container

Not necessarily - ideally you want a system you can plumb in which is the advantage of the Nomads.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Online Straatkat

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 05:11:44 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys, I have some ideas to mull over.
Always wondered how the plumbed in tanks work, without a fuel pump how does the fuel transfer?
Maybe the low-tech coke bottle idea is still the best and the cheapest, but a bit bulky when empty, that is where a bladder might be better.
Would hate to chuck the bottles and then have to buy more and bin the contents, how much coke can any reasonable person drink?
18 till I die.

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:21:39 pm »
You can often plumb an external tank with an inline stop valve so it draws from the tank first and then cross over to the main tank. Some can be made to siphon feed into the main tanks as well. I have also used a Coke bottle but have also seen one rupture ... and am not a big fan of the bladders as I have also seen them leak and they can be a mission to tie down effectively as they have a tendency to wobble all over the show ... but they can work.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 05:53:00 pm »
Was debating this the other day.

The simplest is carrying some sort of container or bladder and emptying that into the tank.  The nice thing about a bladder is that you can then fold it away (although where to put it so everything its packed with doesn't stink of petrol for months?).

To plumb another tank permanently in with the main tank I would try a T piece inserted into the fuel hose that joins the two halves of the main tank, provided the bottom of the auxihiliary tank is above that point.  This should mean that the aux tank will just drain down and empty along with the main tank?

The Safari tank does solve the issue (eye watering cost) but it looks ugly (especially as the translucent tank ages - its going sort of brownish - nice  :P).  It also adversely affects the bikes handling when full, although I suspect if you carry a lot of fuel the extra weight is going to do the same thing no matter what you do.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:54:18 pm by alanB »
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Online Straatkat

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 07:31:27 pm »
I think the coke bottle idea, and empty it into the tank at earliest convenience, that would give an extra 4L @18km/l, so an additional 72km, it's not like we have to cross the Sahara, for me it's basically just to alleviate the nuisance factor of finding a garage when your riding buddies can still do some distance. I use my bike mostly around here (Magaliesburg) and would not like to have to carry a permanent tank, as it is just one more thing to vibrate off or get damaged in a crash....and I seem to do that regularly!
18 till I die.

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 07:39:07 pm »
Ja depends what you want - horses for courses. I have tested the Nomad in hectic conditions and have a version that does not bolt on but straps on and is amazingly stable and indestructible. Can use QD's to connect so not a permanent fixture. I like not to have to stop and pour petrol if possible. I was also lucky I had a friend coming out from Oz who brought it over for me.

Online SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Only 99 550 km. Nearly there...
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 07:49:39 pm »
Always wondered how the plumbed in tanks work, without a fuel pump how does the fuel transfer?
Maybe the low-tech coke bottle idea is still the best and the cheapest, but a bit bulky when empty, that is where a bladder might be better.
Would hate to chuck the bottles and then have to buy more and bin the contents, how much coke can any reasonable person drink?

I use the coke bottle method and have never had one rupture. In most places where you can buy petrol you will find a dustbin with a coke bottle in it. Besides if you mix coke with rum or brandy you drink a lot more than you think....
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 09:22:45 pm »
I would just bite the bullet and buy an IMS tank, big enough to reach any petrol station in SA, reasonably priced and comes in black, grey or translucent.

Edit - ok it seems the IMS will only fit the 06 and 07 models. Adjustable suspension and good old carb. To bad Fi riders  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:09:32 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online Straatkat

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:56:09 pm »
Sidetrack, mine is a 2009 FI model....out of luck.
18 till I die.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
Re: Re: Re: Best way to carry extra fuel
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 12:29:23 am »

I use the coke bottle method and have never had one rupture. In most places where you can buy petrol you will find a dustbin with a coke bottle in it. Besides if you mix coke with rum or brandy you drink a lot more than you think....

Papsak is also an option. More fun than coke. Has steering damper built in

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline cracklin

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 09:19:31 am »
We will have something quite unique shortly.

Flexible and the ability to roll it up completely. We came across this product on the Afghanistan border when a US soldier gave us a 20L derivative they use in the military. Used it for the balance of our trip to Mongolia and would have been at a loss without it, even though it was too big.

We have now worked with the manufacturer on now developing a 5L unit specifically for bikes with numerous tie down options .

First samples have been through tested and production will now begin. ETA +- 8 weeks given shipping times.

+- R550 at current US$ exchange rates

www.bikegear.co.za
Tel 0861 BIKEGEAR (245 343)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 11:00:12 am »
I use a fuel cell when I need to ----- had a cover made for it and have had no issues with it -- can basically strap it on anyplace---

I screw on the ears to my rear rack and fit a piece of moulded plastic on the ear with a cable tie and attach the fuel cell to that

People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 11:16:59 am »

Flexible and the ability to roll it up completely. We came across this product on the Afghanistan border when a US soldier gave us a 20L derivative they use in the military. Used it for the balance of our trip to Mongolia and would have been at a loss without it, even though it was too big.

We have now worked with the manufacturer on now developing a 5L unit specifically for bikes with numerous tie down options .

First samples have been through tested and production will now begin. ETA +- 8 weeks given shipping times.

www.bikegear.co.za

Sound exiting ,any pictures for a sneak preview ?
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Online Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 11:25:32 am »

www.bikegear.co.za

I would be interested in a 5l bladder as well. Any news on it?
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic