Best Riding Mode and Position for the 1200 LC on Gravel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Let us talk a little on the modes we dial in for gravel riding.  I found that the Enduro Pro mode, offering only Hard or Soft suspension is not the answer.  Hard is too harsh and soft feels like a Valiant.  

My playing lead me to the Dynamic mode, ABS and TC off, Suspension on Normal damping and Preload on Rider with Luggage.  Suppose I carry enough luggage on my body to qualify for that setting, although the suspension behaved much the same on the pillion setting.  Could use that too, taking advantage of the additional ground clearance.

The tyres are really a bit of a limitation.  They slide sideways in the corners and the bike is not easy to keep running a smooth line through a corner at speed.  Can't wait for the new knobbly tyres.  Go Metzeler!!  Fetch that container if you have to.

The nice thing about the suspension feedback system is that it does not bottom out easily.  I have been pleasantly surprised by the suspension from that perspective.   I do feel that the rebound damping is too fast however.  It makes for a harsher ride than what it could be.  Not sure about this, and I cannot test it because it is not separately adjustable.  

About the head shake issue....  I have read and heard some horror stories.  I am lucky enough to still be alive.  I like shifting mass forward on a bike, it has always worked for me on previous bikes.  But this one likes weight input more neutral over the pegs, with the rider's back bent a little more to get the arms and chest over the bars.  I hope you understand this like it is meant.....  That way, the head seems to settle down, and one can carry some speed through corrugated corners with some holes.  A steering damper will assist.  But competent and confident riding goes a long way too it looks like.

Please can I ask that the gravel riders of the LC share some thoughts from practical riding experience, not from reading magazines?  :thumleft:

Or if you read / heard / think something and really feel strong about it, go for it.  What would a WD thread be if only sense was spoken.....