Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Best Riding Mode and Position for the 1200 LC on Gravel  (Read 2138 times)

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Best Riding Mode and Position for the 1200 LC on Gravel
« on: August 31, 2013, 02:36:20 pm »
Let us talk a little on the modes we dial in for gravel riding.  I found that the Enduro Pro mode, offering only Hard or Soft suspension is not the answer.  Hard is too harsh and soft feels like a Valiant.  

My playing lead me to the Dynamic mode, ABS and TC off, Suspension on Normal damping and Preload on Rider with Luggage.  Suppose I carry enough luggage on my body to qualify for that setting, although the suspension behaved much the same on the pillion setting.  Could use that too, taking advantage of the additional ground clearance.

The tyres are really a bit of a limitation.  They slide sideways in the corners and the bike is not easy to keep running a smooth line through a corner at speed.  Can't wait for the new knobbly tyres.  Go Metzeler!!  Fetch that container if you have to.

The nice thing about the suspension feedback system is that it does not bottom out easily.  I have been pleasantly surprised by the suspension from that perspective.   I do feel that the rebound damping is too fast however.  It makes for a harsher ride than what it could be.  Not sure about this, and I cannot test it because it is not separately adjustable.  

About the head shake issue....  I have read and heard some horror stories.  I am lucky enough to still be alive.  I like shifting mass forward on a bike, it has always worked for me on previous bikes.  But this one likes weight input more neutral over the pegs, with the rider's back bent a little more to get the arms and chest over the bars.  I hope you understand this like it is meant.....  That way, the head seems to settle down, and one can carry some speed through corrugated corners with some holes.  A steering damper will assist.  But competent and confident riding goes a long way too it looks like.

Please can I ask that the gravel riders of the LC share some thoughts from practical riding experience, not from reading magazines?  :thumleft:

Or if you read / heard / think something and really feel strong about it, go for it.  What would a WD thread be if only sense was spoken.....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:39:48 pm by SGB »
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Callie GS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Best Riding Mode and Position for the 1200 LC on Gravel
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »
Thanks for that info, going to the Dome this weekend.
Second time on the dirt with the LC, will see what happens ???
If you are not scared of your dreams , they are not big enough!!

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:55:44 am »
SGB I really enjoy reading your posts specially your one on the 1190  :drif:
Pass this way once!

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:55:40 pm »
SGB I really enjoy reading your posts specially your one on the 1190  :drif:
Thanks!   :thumleft:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:57:51 pm »
Did some slow riding on the LC today.  Used Enduro Pro mode with suspension hard and I must say it worked very well.  I does not bottom out easily.  Was a pleasant ride.  So I now have 2 preferred modes.....
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:24:11 pm »
I use Enduro Pro on gravel, mainly because I thoroughly enjoy the ABS witched off at the back, but still on for the front. The ride is a bit harsh though.

I never felt any instability, and is more confident on sandy roads, and soft sand with the LC fitted with Annakee III's than with my previous 1200 with knobbies.

I use the single rider mode if it is only me, even though I weigh a hefty 120 Kg's

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:19:45 pm »
I went out yesterday as well, and used the Enduro Pro mode, traction control off and ESA on 1x rider + luggage. I started with "Hard" but it felt to hars for me and I changed it to "Soft" which worked well.

I had no instability moments, and as I got more comfortable, I started to move my bodyweight around (forward and backwards) and found that the bike prefers my weight to be neutral to slightly back when I ride through corrugations / old mud holes.

I must say that the street tires behave well on dirt, but when I practised an emergency stop at speed the rear just slide - I think a proper off-road tyre will assist greatly here.

:thumleft:

Offline Gryshond

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 08:37:10 am »
I now have the new Karoo 3's on, wow they look good and a vast improvement on the dirt.

ESA - I definately use 2 up setting on ESA for extra clearance. I switch between Soft and Hard depending on terrain. Hard for dirt highway and Soft for bumpy terrain at lower speed.
Mode - I use Enduro Pro.
TC - I do sometimes switch off traction control as the TC still cuts in a bit soon on Enduro Pro
ABS - I leave the ABS as per Enduro Pro with front ABS on and rear ABS off.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:38:55 am by Gryshond »

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:43 am »
I now have the new Karoo 3's on, wow they look good and a vast improvement on the dirt.

Gryshond, where did you get the Karoo's?

What does the knobbies feel like on tar?

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 09:51:41 pm »
Just completed two days through Cederberg and Wupperthal with the LC and newly fitted Karoo 3's. Did some trails as well as faster dirt road riding and the tyres performed admirably. I am a bit concerned about the wear on the rear but that may just be me being to heavy on the throttle.

Had a near miss with a grader on the R355 doing about 130km/h forcing me to plough through the freshly graded mound resulting in vicious headshake. Manged to power out of it but scared the living daylights out of me!

Preffered settings off tar: Enduro Pro, traction control off, abs on - allowing for rear wheel lock, safe front wheel braking and full control of rear wheel spin.

I carried little luggage and did not change suspension from soft, worked OK for me.

Any comments or feedback is welcome, the LC is my first bike in decades and I consider myself relatively inexperienced.

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 05:09:05 pm »
I think I have settled:
- Enduro Pro mode.  Maybe on Dynamic here and there if I know the road is going to be tar for an extended period.  But not often.
- Suspension hard
- Rider + luggage
- ABS off
- TC off

I have not touched any settings for a few thousand kilos and I am starting to learn how the bike behaves in various conditions.

The Karoo 3's are OK all-round tyres.  Rear does in the region of 3000 km if not abused too much.  Front has a few bubbles, but not serious.  Will look at it with next rear change.

www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 06:08:32 pm »
Looks like fun riding SGB, in situations made for the GS!

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 07:37:54 pm »
On weekend trips I use the same settings but leave ABS on. The machine is better than me.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:26 pm »
This past weekend we were exploring farm tracks and footpaths between Klapmutz and Stellenbosch. The terrain varied from very loose gravel to sand. Someone recommended using Rain mode with TC and ABS turned off. It worked really well for slow speed technical riding with lots of sharp turns around and over obstacles.

With the throttle response dampened, the sandy roads was significantly easier to navigate. Even hill climbing was more controlled with less wheelspin and reduced chance of raising the front accidentally.

On the dirt highway I still prefer Enduro Pro with ABS on and TC off, puts a smile on my face every time :thumleft: