Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Circling Babilonstoring  (Read 276 times)

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
Circling Babilonstoring
« on: December 31, 2007, 10:57:30 am »
I developed a nasty itch, and had to scratch it, so I took the KLE out for a nice ride.

The route
Unfortunately I had mix it with the cars from Kleinmond to the Karwyderskraal turnoff, but after that, it was mostly gravel. I took the gravel road from the Karwyderskraal dumpsite that links with the Hemel and Aarde road, and found the Boskloof/De Bos dam.

Once on the Hemel and Aarde road I headed direction Caledon, but took the Tesselaarsdal turnoff to the right just before Shawsberg pass. This is a nice loop that eventually spits you out just outside Caledon. At a low water bridge I met a chap from Stellenbosch on a Dakar that was on his way back from Stilbaai, and mentioned the route I intended to follow, as he was looking for some gravel roads.

A nice narrow bridge along the way

I turned left and headed direction Hermanus for a few k's, and then took a right turn just before Shawsberg heading past Muirton in the direction of the famous Fall Down Hill. I wanted to see for myself if it was really that bad  >:D

The road is quiet, I only (almost) met one tractor reversing out of a barn. And there are a couple of gates to amuse yourself with along the way.

Just before FDH I saw that the road got a little marbly, and thought 'Is this it'?

But I was soon to find out I was wrong...

Luckily fall down hill was still quite solid from the recent rains, so going down did not prove a problem. I also saw some fresh tracks which looked like the guy on the Dakkie's, so he must have taken the same route, I wonder what he had to say to me going down FDH?

The took me back to Karwyderskraal, but this time I joined the Hermanus road close to the Shell garage, and made a duck home.

The recap
I loved the route so much, I had so share it with rooipoot, growweblaar and ball&chain two days later, this time the temperature was a bit higher, so every now and then we would stop and soak tshirts and jackets in the water to cool down. Also met a very laid back guy (Marius I think) on a GS12 at De Bos dam, he went on to have a lekka swim there while we continued our journey.

This time round FDH was a bit loose, all the moisture having been removed by the scorching sun, but it was still ok, no bikes, riders or egos hurt.

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera the second time, but I know growweblaar and b&c have some piccies, feel free to share guys!

PS My itch has been scratched, for now...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Re: Circling Babilonstoring
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:02:48 am »
Very nice!

Still need to go with on a ride with you. Wouldn't mind going to say hi to 'uncle' RedPaw as well, so maybe we can do a ride like that next year sometime where we end up for coffee in Villiersdorp ?

Thanks for posting!
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away