Touratech - from the horse's mouth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Stephen King aka Popeye, the current owner of TTSA, send me this email.  He forgot his login detail. 

What REALLY happened to Touratech in South Africa

I am sure you guys have noticed that I am not too big on writing on the forum but I think the time has come for me to give the real facts regarding what has happened to Touratech in SA.  Well lets start at the beginning, we used a company called Toyota Tusho to finance the Touratech venture and this is how we were able to bring in enough stock to satisfy the demand in SA.  It all went very well and the agreement between ourselves and Toyota.  At a stage Toyota asked if we would be interested in distributing a clothing Range called Richa on their behalf, we obviously saw the potential and said we would be interested.  Now this is where the problems started, Toyota neglected to draw up a contract or agreement outlining the business and the terms and conditions of how the clothing business would be run.

Well the clothing arrived and we started distributing on Toyotaâ??s behalf.  After 6 months Toyota said that all the funds which they had spend on the Richa clothing in SA would now be due.  I obviously said according to what stipulations are these assumptions made.  Toyota had made a mistake by not concluding a contract with regard to the clothing and thus decided to stop all imports of both Richa and Touratech.

At this same stage Touratech Germany was going though some tough times with the backlog in the production timetables which also resulted in a world wide shortage of the parts.

We have thus been in a legal battle between Toyota and ourselves for over a year and the result has been that there have not been products available.

Germany has rightfully said that they cannot be involved in this type of politics and will be handing the importership to somebody else to carry on with.

I would also like to clear up some facts, there seems to be a perception that the parts from Germany are a lot cheaper that those in SA, I agree fully with that statement.  As the sole importer of the products I only receive between 5% - 30% discount on the parts.  Some of these parts are then subject to import charges (only some) and the transport costs on these products to South Africa is 19%.  That means that the product arrives here at about the same price as advertised on the internet.  As in any business we need to make some profit, MU of 30% and then the dealers will not sell the products if they are not getting between 15%- 25% discount on the parts.  To top it off you give a BMW dealer a 30day account and they do not pay for 120days, does not help. 

So the long and the short of it, we will no longer be importing the genuine Touratech product but we are in the process of development and manufacture of certain parts especially for SA conditions and BUDGETS. For any further queries we are still available on 012 6534227 / 082 8525399

PS Any legal assistance will be gladly appreciated.