Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Nostalgic old Yammies - pics added - frett revived  (Read 7065 times)

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Nostalgic old Yammies
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2014, 12:14:50 pm »
Lekka, hey.

Oh wait  :biggrin: there's more...the place looks more like a Yamaha museum! Awesome.

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2014, 03:51:38 pm »
My old girl a Yamaha XJ 750 with a Cowley 4 into 1. Can you believe it Cowley are still around!

http://www.cowleyexh.co.za/gallery/index.php

Yep my boet had the same bike,same colour. They also used his bike to develop the bikini fairing. He too ran a Cowley exhaust.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Tito

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Alias .....Paul Rotorookies
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2014, 11:36:17 pm »
I have a picture of Rod Gray at Schribante in PE, must be about 1984 or so where he's on a Z1000R that had a dual spark head ...  :)

Pleeeez dig out that pic! Would love to see it. I remember RG falling a shit shot at Scribante, on that last cnr before the main straight...on his GSXR750. I was talking to him about 3 years ago at ACox and he clearly remembered that incident....said it cost him the SA title.

Here it is EssBee ...

Great photo ...brings back a lot of memories for me....I had the luck to get a job as race mechanic for Kawasaki in 83 the Demas Chicken Days .....
We had two Genuine Muzzy built Lawson Replicas that were used in Formula One , they had 8 plug heads...( you can see the back of one in the photo of me in pit 1 at Kyalami ) ...The photo of Rod is on a standard Production Bike 1000 R with  Flickers and lights...The guy with the clipboard was our team manager Steve .....
Ride it like you stole it  !!!!!! If your Afraid of Death Your Afraid of Life, Only the Rocks Live Forever !!!!!!

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Nostalgic old Yammies - pics added - frett revived
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2014, 07:45:03 am »
@ Tito....was that AFTER the Joe van Altena ( spell?) era.....a cycling mate of mine in JHB was involved with his pit-crew...

Offline Winston

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Empangeni
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2014, 08:24:38 am »
Sub

Offline ratrap

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2014, 04:35:04 pm »
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Offline Dux

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2014, 04:37:39 pm »
Do you know what happened to those Muzzy bike ?
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Tito

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2014, 07:36:56 pm »
Do you know what happened to those Muzzy bike ?

I have no idea now,  but a couple of year after this someone had one converted to road use..
Interesting to note that Muzzy pulled the wool over Kawasaki SA 's eyes and sent us two supposed hot F1 Lawson Replicas at a doooobus price ,they had 8 plug heads and a welded crank with A KX 80 flywheel ignition system ,without a battery, fancy wheels,forks, yokes,brakes and swinging arm, but a bog standard dead slow motor that was very difficult to get to make Horsepower...
They were very short lived and Ace Tuner Syd Stacy ended up using a bimota framed 1100 motor rather that was rapid and handled well right from the first ride.
@EssBee yes JVA was racing the at the exact same time also in F1 on a Nico Baker framed Kawa 1100, strangely enough I worked for Joe for a few years from 83 onwards ....

I
Ride it like you stole it  !!!!!! If your Afraid of Death Your Afraid of Life, Only the Rocks Live Forever !!!!!!

Offline Dux

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »
Shafting happens at all levels , but still never nice to see , those bikes were supposed to be pushing out 145hp on the rear wheel , Lang Hindle from Hindle exhausts in Canada has one that he raced round about that time , and he still has that same bike , from a test review of that bike it is an absolute rocket .
Just out of curiosity , CB that Freddie Spencer raced in the States had a chromoly frame with shitty welding where visible to look like a stock frame .
Kawasaki had a few interesting things from time to time though , I bought a GPz1100 and never thought anything of it until I rode another identical bike and noticed a few differences , a stock GPz would do 85kmh in first , mine did 135kmh , mine had a ported head ,different cams and the steering head had about a degree less rake and the triple clamps were different .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Tito

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2014, 10:23:26 pm »
Racing in this country has been over the years not only a battle of riders but also mechanics and  tuners....
The amazingly original ways to make horsepower and get a bike to handle were quite facinating to see first hand, as I would often have to work Sundays striping the opositions bike or our bikes after protests...
Very possible the Kawa you had might have been an ex "production" race bike..
The GPZ 550 N above came with a Close Ratio Gearbox as standard in an attempt to beat the Ducati Pantah's, and many of Kawasaki's parts were moved around between bikes to gain advantage...

Offline Tito

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2014, 10:31:25 pm »
Here's a photo relevent to the thread , me on my Yamaha 350 YR5, first or second race in the UK...Still with Novice Orange jacket on...
Had a RD400 after that...

Oh and a pic of JVA as well...

Offline Buddy

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2014, 10:44:03 pm »
Tito, were you at JVA when Paddy Sewell was there? Paddy and I used to ride enduro's together
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:53 pm »
I'm pretty convinced that the TA 125 on the previous page was the bike that belonged to Ace Motors that I raced in 81,, I have been looking for that bike for 15 years,, will be at that shop very soon
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:24:04 pm by StuartC »
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Grolls

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2014, 01:06:33 am »
Here is mine  :thumleft:
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline Tito

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2014, 07:27:20 am »
Tito, were you at JVA when Paddy Sewell was there? Paddy and I used to ride enduro's together

Yeah Buddy ....myself and Paddy ( Mike Sewell ) are still big mates to this day, he lives in PE now...

Offline Tito

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2014, 07:30:03 am »
Here is mine  :thumleft:

That's Gonner clean up nice...Cool Bike..

Offline Buddy

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2014, 09:38:09 pm »
"Yeah Buddy ....myself and Paddy ( Mike Sewell ) are still big mates to this day, he lives in PE now..."

Does he still own the Tiger Wheel franchise in PE? I must really pop in and see him next time I go that way.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline ratrap

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2014, 04:37:35 pm »
"Yeah Buddy ....myself and Paddy ( Mike Sewell ) are still big mates to this day, he lives in PE now..."

Does he still own the Tiger Wheel franchise in PE? I must really pop in and see him next time I go that way.

More threats to visit people.....................
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Offline CliveG

« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2014, 05:42:21 pm »
StuartC, If I remember right, that TA125, Paul Ward bought from Japan. The TZ125 was his from new.
Husqvarna Nuda 900, BMW R80 GS, BMW G650 X Country, 2016 Beta 300 X Trainer,
Ducati 900 Darmah SSD, Ducati 900 SS, Ducati 900 Darmah SD, Ducati 860, Norton 750 Commander, Triton 650, Suzuki T500, Yamaha RZ500 x 2, Yamaha RD350YPVS, Yamaha RD350 air cooled,  Yamaha RT360 x 2.

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa

Offline Tito

« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2014, 05:51:21 pm »

Mike works for Continental now.....I will PM you his Cell number....