Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: *Budget bikers" What bike? Talk to me  (Read 3621 times)

Offline J-dog

*Budget bikers" What bike? Talk to me
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:24:42 am »
 :peepwall:

If you had R20-30k to spend on a DS bike, what would you get?

And does anyone want to sell it  :deal: :sip:

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
Re: *Budget bikers" What bike? Talk to me
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:29:10 am »
In all honesty, the KLR Fugly is a great bike... self-maintenance is easy, the thing pretty much goes everywhere, you seldom have problems with them, and you'll get back to just enjoying the outdoors again on one... you can't race, you can't ask it to do The Roof, it's just a great all-round machine.

I think I saw one on the forum a short time ago at a price that was a steal... then you'll have change left over for tyres and stuff...

There are other makes that come up now and again... but there is usually a fugly out there... :)
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline J-dog

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:30:39 am »
In all honesty, the KLR Fugly is a great bike... self-maintenance is easy, the thing pretty much goes everywhere, you seldom have problems with them, and you'll get back to just enjoying the outdoors again on one... you can't race, you can't ask it to do The Roof, it's just a great all-round machine.

I think I saw one on the forum a short time ago at a price that was a steal... then you'll have change left over for tyres and stuff...

There are other makes that come up now and again... but there is usually a fugly out there... :)

thanks mal  :thumleft:

I was just about to type, anything except a KLR  :biggrin: but I suppose I should consider it.  :eek7:

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:34:13 am »
You know, the higher performance the motor offers, the (general) shorter life-span it has without cash... so, if you are getting a "Better" bike at a much reduced price, that's (generally) because it needs cash spent on it soon.

I have an old "C" series KLR, I love that bike... she just goes on and on... she is fun to ride if I don't expect huge performance, and she cost me next to nothing to run...

Offline DRAZIL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:38:01 am »
DR650 is also a bullet proof bike.
No radiators,fans to worry about.Just point and go
 :thumleft:
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:43:30 am »
True! 

Offline Crab

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:46:37 am »
I want to have a DR as my next bike.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:48:48 am »

thanks mal  :thumleft:

I was just about to type, anything except a KLR  :biggrin: but I suppose I should consider it.  :eek7:

I loved my KLR, went anywhere and never let me down once.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 08:55:37 am »
Suzuki DR650.

For something more exciting and little more maintenance XR600.
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:57:06 am »
In the bracket R20k - R25k you can also get a good XT600e.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 09:05:41 am »
It's such a pity that new "budget" DS bikes are soon going to be a distant memory with the demise of the XR/DR and KLR from SA.   :(  There will probably be quite a few second hand ones for some time to come, but I think people will be holding onto these.  Entry to the whole DS scene is going to become less and less affordable IMHO.  Very sad...   :'(  ... unless you got 100 K plus if you want to get a new boney.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:06:38 am by Shaun500 »

Offline J-dog

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 09:06:12 am »
In the bracket R20k - R25k you can also get a good XT600e.

what is the 600e?

Offline J-dog

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:08:50 am »
It's such a pity that new "budget" DS bikes are soon going to be a distant memory with the demise of the XR/DR and KLR from SA.   :(  There will probably be quite a few second hand ones for some time to come, but I think people will be holding onto these.  Entry to the whole DS scene is going to become less and less affordable IMHO.  Very sad...   :'(  ... unless you got 100 K plus if you want to get a new boney.

very true. back when i bought my first XT500 in the 80's, it was a cheap buy and affordable running costs (do most of it yourself)

Now a big dualie is close to R200k  :o same price as a car. And you have to take it in to be serviced at a ridiculous price.

Offline J-dog

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 09:10:40 am »
How do the DR and KLR compare in terms of performance, reliability, suspension, running costs etc?

I found the KLR very washy on the front wheel, but I suppose the suspension can be upgraded?

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 09:14:20 am »
Personally I'd put the budget up slightly and get a XChallenge. A good one can be had for about <=35k
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Karel Kat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • 'Burn Babilaan an de wicked'
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 09:16:52 am »
How do the DR and KLR compare in terms of performance, reliability, suspension, running costs etc?

I found the KLR very washy on the front wheel, but I suppose the suspension can be upgraded?

Upgraded progressive front suspension makes a huge change. If you have done that, the doohickey and thrown away the stock handlebars in favour of fat Pro Tapers, the basics are sorted. You can fine tune a bit more over time.

Le Cap will probably be able to provide you you a good comparison between the KLR and DR, even though it will be sort of biased towards the DR. Off the cuff, I believe the KLR to be a better "distance" tourer while the DR may be a bit more nimble in the rough stuff.
Proudly colonialist dog walker and brannewyn libtard

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 09:17:10 am »
+ 1 on the R5k more.

My choice would be (in this order):

XT660R, XT600e, XR600, XChallenge, DR650se

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 09:17:23 am »
I have my mind locked on a kle atm, not high performing, but its a twin cyl, so it has a bit longer legs in the open.
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline J-dog

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 09:17:42 am »
Personally I'd put the budget up slightly and get a XChallenge. A good one can be had for about <=35k

heard not so many good stories on them? Very soft or slow or something?

I know nothing will compare to my 690 or 950, but I still want to be able to jaag around a bit on rocks and sand etc. Don't want to be confined to dirt roads. Seems that the KLR is bulky, underpowered and under-suspended for that sort of stuff?

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 09:22:43 am »
+1
2003 KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm, 2012 KTM 300 XCW, 2008 KTM 690, 2006 BMW G650Xchallenge

Current:  2007 KTM 640 Adv, 2011 KTM 250 Xcw,  1979 Suzuki SB200