Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: *Budget bikers" What bike? Talk to me  (Read 3616 times)

Offline J-dog

Re: *Budget bikers" What bike? Talk to me
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 09:23:42 am »
Personally I'd put the budget up slightly and get a XChallenge. A good one can be had for about <=35k
+1

Why the X ?

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 09:25:39 am »
Off the cuff, I believe the KLR to be a better "distance" tourer while the DR may be a bit more nimble in the rough stuff.

I agree with that (in my limited experience anyway) - the KLR has one up on the DR (out of the box) in terms of 'tourability' in terms of better (bigger) subframe for loading stuffs onto, bigger tank, better windprotection and marginally more comfortable.

The DR is better for playing due to the weight advantage and less things that can break off/start leaking in a fall.

In my above statement I would put the XT660R and the XChallenge in the same bracket (FI and higher performance, even though the weight is different - also more 'play-y that tour-y standard), the DR650 and XT600e in the same bracket in terms of uncomplicated (although the 660R is also pretty uncomplicated, but it has an electronic brain), and the XR600 and the KLR in classes of their own (respectively an almost enduro ready offroad beast and a very capable (albeit a bit boring but then also predictable) tourer).

My .05

Take it from someone who has very limited experience with these bikes - I have ridden all of them though, but not extensively enough to talk with authority.

I think it all depends on what you want to do with it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:26:56 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 09:28:06 am »
I know nothing will compare to my 690 or 950, but I still want to be able to Seems that the KLR is bulky, underpowered and under-suspended for that sort of stuff?

DR is a bit better,  but only a bit.
i much prefered it to the KLR,  but would not buy either again.
it is simpler to service,  a bit lighter,  has less stuff to break,  has better brakes and standard suspension.
power wise,  much of a muchness - both push mid 30's in HP.

Offline nelf13

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:24 am »
What do you want to do with the bike?

You don't want to look in the 400 range?  You can pick up nice XR400/DRZ400 in your price bracket with than some extra moola to put on some extras :thumleft:

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:29 am »
Personally I'd put the budget up slightly and get a XChallenge. A good one can be had for about <=35k
+1

Why the X ?

They were available for a limited time and was strangely not that good with holding their 2nd hand value. Good bullet proof engines though with good performance and maintenance schedules.

You get a lot for what you pay in terms of features and performance.

If you go this route I would replace / upgrade the rear shock via someone like Martin Petzold or Superfoxi.
LeCap will no doubt tell you all about what he calls the 'tennis ball' rear shock absorber.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 09:30:59 am »
+1

Why the X ?

Super reliable motor, more modern than the others mentioned, very economical to run, as light as the DR (and more power), plenty of farkles available
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:02 am »
In the bracket R20k - R25k you can also get a good XT600e.

what is the 600e?

Enduro style XT600 like the 660R, with e-start. Aircooled, carb and easy to keep. Very nice bike. I love mine.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline J-dog

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:16 am »

what is the 600e?

Enduro style XT600 like the 660R, with e-start. Aircooled, carb and easy to keep. Very nice bike. I love mine.

gooi some pics?

Offline J-dog

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 09:36:25 am »
What do you want to do with the bike?

You don't want to look in the 400 range?  You can pick up nice XR400/DRZ400 in your price bracket with than some extra moola to put on some extras :thumleft:

I want to be able to ride fast for example through the baviaans and stuff like the side entry, or ride slowly, and cruise dirt roads at a decent speed, and be able to get to for example the national bash without holding up my riding buddies?

Offline nelf13

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:38 am »
Then rather go for a 600 :thumleft:

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:54 am »

what is the 600e?

gooi some pics?

You can see from the styling that this was the predecessor of the XT660R.

Very capable bikes and when I was looking for a 2nd bike this was in the top 5 of my shortlist.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:39:58 am by Eisbein »

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:16 am »
I want to be able to ride fast for example through the baviaans and stuff like the side entry, or ride slowly, and cruise dirt roads at a decent speed, and be able to get to for example the national bash without holding up my riding buddies?

both DR & KLR will do that.
DR will be easier (bit lighter,  less tupperware,  no radiator)

Offline J-dog

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 09:40:24 am »

what is the 600e?

gooi some pics?

You can see from the styling that this was the predecessor of the XT660R.

Very capable bikes and when I was looking for a 2nd bike this in the top 5 of my shortlist.

thanks  :thumleft:

looks good. what's the price range, and are they still in production?

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:41 am »
If you can find one you can also throw a KLR 650 C model into the mix.

They have been mostly gray imports, but they share basically all the mechanics with the normal A model.

More like a DR650 in terms of what it is and a much prettier tail piece than the A model.

They are scarce though, but if you find one it should be towards the bottom of your budget.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 09:44:58 am »
looks good. what's the price range, and are they still in production?

I would think from just under R20k to R25k would be a good and proper model (in fact I think you would be able to find a good one from R17k upwards if its gray)

Unfortunately none of the bikes in this budget range will still be in production as is (apart from the DR650se)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:47:41 am by Eisbein »

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 09:45:08 am »
If you can find one you can also throw a KLR 650 C model into the mix.
friends don't let friends ride a kawasaki...

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 09:45:39 am »
I have my mind locked on a kle atm, not high performing, but its a twin cyl, so it has a bit longer legs in the open.
KLE is very capable machine, however it has a few limitations.  The biggest one for me is the size of the tank.  At 12L main and 3 Reserve it does not have a very good range.  If you give here a good spanking on the open road loaded you with get about 180 km on the main tank.  Around town expect about 250 km.  KLE's are known to be thirsty when pushed.  I would rather consider a good second hand KLR though.  There are loads of farkles for the KLR.  Not much for the KLE though.  Once the well known little issues are sorted on the KLR you will have quite a capable bike that won't hurt your pocket and will be as reliable as an anvil.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:50:44 am by Shaun500 »

Online Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 09:45:59 am »
You must read  :deal: I said a good one can be had for R20k - R25k. Last production model was 2003.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline J-dog

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 09:48:43 am »
You must read  :deal: I said a good one can be had for R20k - R25k. Last production model was 2003.

I saw your price range just after my post. don't be a twatwaffle  :ricky:

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 09:52:37 am »
25k for a 12 y/o bike which started production maybe 20-30 years ago
35k for a 5 y/o XChallenge

No contest in my mind....
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy