Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2013 BMW 1200 L C  (Read 2356 times)

Offline COLES

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
2013 BMW 1200 L C
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:15:45 pm »

Hi Dogs

Is there anybody out there who has purchased a 2013 L C that has covered high mileage with the bike

Please share your time with the bike and the short comings hopefully none with the L C    THERE ARE SO MANY STORIES DOING THE ROUNDS     TANK SLAP   REAR BRAKE PADS AFTER 3000KM

I have until Monday morning to make my mind up        do I trade my GS Triple black which i have lost faith in after being told by the dealer that Triple Black does not ping          me i can hear it when you load the engine

Coles

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: 2013 BMW 1200 L C
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:37:52 pm »
One thing to check as well........... is the availability of the 170 tyres....?  VERY limited stock and only one manufacturer?
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 06:43:03 pm »

Hi Dogs

Is there anybody out there who has purchased a 2013 L C that has covered high mileage with the bike

Please share your time with the bike and the short comings hopefully none with the L C    THERE ARE SO MANY STORIES DOING THE ROUNDS     TANK SLAP   REAR BRAKE PADS AFTER 3000KM

I have until Monday morning to make my mind up        do I trade my GS Triple black which i have lost faith in after being told by the dealer that Triple Black does not ping          me i can hear it when you load the engine

Coles
[/
Tanks slap??
I have ridden on one trip through the Alps approx 3000kms which included Stelvio pass x4 and the bikes, all of the GS's behaved faultlessly there were I think 16 of us. Two bikes rear pads were replaced during the trip and we were told that the dealers replaced them under warranty. My bike at home now has close to 5000km and I checked the rear pads today when I washed the bike. I suspect that they will have to be repaced in another 2000km which is way to early. I am checking with the dealer on Monday to have them replaced under warranty.

Teething problems, I have had a few! But in all respects it is such a lekker bike to ride. Both on road and gravel roads, it is just SO much better than the bike it replaced.

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:47:06 pm »
One thing to check as well........... is the availability of the 170 tyres....?  VERY limited stock and only one manufacturer?

Goose?

Tourance
annakees
Bridgtones

Local suppliers will come on stream with supply in the very near future, so in my view not a big deal unless one wrecks a tire beyond repair, in which case the dealer will source

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 06:50:04 pm »

Goose?

Tourance
annakees
Bridgtones

Local suppliers will come on stream with supply in the very near future, so in my view not a big deal unless one wrecks a tire beyond repair, in which case the dealer will source

Interesting - supplier indicated here in Cape Town on Friday that only Tourance avail...? 
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Online HermanH

• Bike: Italjet (all models)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:58:52 pm »
I have an LC, around 9,000km on the clock. I have had no problems with the bike. Obviously a little of a shake of the head at specific speeds when I have no hands on the bar. This has however disappeared and I contribute it to the crappy Tourance Next tyres (which needs to be repleced now, so I will be looking for tyres).

Other than that lovely bike.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 07:09:11 pm »

Hi Dogs

Coles

Wow!  Getting rid of a vehicle because it pings at sea level is a tad excessive,  isn't it?
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »

Goose?

Tourance
annakees
Bridgtones

Interesting - supplier indicated here in Cape Town on Friday that only Tourance avail...? 

For someone not interested in buy a LC, you ask the dealers allot of questions or are you just thumb sucking on your posts

Offline COLES

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 08:50:44 pm »

To the dogs that have taken the time to reply I SAY THANK U

To AMZ it is very clear that u dont understand what damage pinging can do to any engine at any altitude maybe u should visit GOOGLE

To SLAAIBLAAR please think before u post there are a lot of knowledgeable  bike riders on the wonderful forum use the thing above your shoulders before you waste your time with stupid comments

COLES

082 258 0622  FOR ANY OTHER WORTHWHILE COMMENTS

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:17:17 pm »

To AMZ it is very clear that u dont understand what damage pinging can do to any engine at any altitude maybe u should visit GOOGLE

To SLAAIBLAAR please think before u post there are a lot of knowledgeable  bike riders on the wonderful forum use the thing above your shoulders before you waste your time with stupid comments

COLES

I have a LC and I'm so gatvol of these guys making statements without having a clue....read Gooses previous posts on the LC and you will understand even this one was a thumb suck, I know of at least 3 brands manufacturing 170's.  Sorry for trying to warn you about clueless posts. Go ahead and believe these nay sayers. Like I said in previous threads, I'm stupid that is why I like my LC

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 09:23:03 pm »
COLES if I was you I'd wait for the new one with the steering damper, etc, otherwise yours will only loose value when it comes out  :thumleft:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 09:25:34 pm »

Hi Dogs

Coles

Telling you about tires did not answer your question

What I can tell you is buy it, but if I had a late model low KM 1200GS I do not know if I will trade it for the new LC. I'm sure I can hear a little bit of pinging at low refs on new LC

Offline corriej

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 09:26:00 pm »
COLES if I was you I'd wait for the new one with the steering damper, etc, otherwise yours will only loose value when it comes out  :thumleft:

The guys in the UK started getting the updated model with the damper already.

See here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912694&page=13

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 09:38:29 pm »

COLES

I have a LC and I'm so gatvol of these guys making statements without having a clue....read Gooses previous posts on the LC and you will understand even this one was a thumb suck, I know of at least 3 brands manufacturing 170's.  Sorry for trying to warn you about clueless posts. Go ahead and believe these nay sayers. Like I said in previous threads, I'm stupid that is why I like my LC

Let me set the record straight here reagrding the tyres...........  Jorg - the owner of Cape Bike Travel has just supplied all the bikes for Charlie Boorman's trip...........  we were discussing tyres for the GSA - he stocks MITAS - and HE brought up the subject of the tyres........  he mentioned only one brand available to him for his shop........... and also stated that apparently the problem was that they could not get the new tyres speed rated.

Are all the brand you mentioned available in South Africa at this time....?

So Slaaiblaar - it's very obvious you like your bike a lot........... I also like my GSA a lot - but why the hell are you getting so over protected about critisism ....?  I for one have long since learned to read and listen to all takes on a product... negative and positive.

Offline Jondu

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 10:00:38 pm »

Good advice

Offline COLES

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 09:09:53 am »

EARLY SUNDAY MORNING READ ALL THE REPLIES AND I SAY THANK U TO ALL THE DOG,S SPENT A GOOD HALF HOUR ON THE PHONE WITH GOOSE LOTS OF GREAT INFO RECEIVED

WHO EVER SAID GOOSE NEW ABOUT PINGING WELL HE HAS A GREAT DEAL OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE PROBLEM  I AM FACED WITH

THANKS DOGS

COLES FROM THE BAAI

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 10:32:36 am »

Good advice

Or the Adventure!
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 10:45:36 am »

Good advice

Or the Adventure!

:thumleft:  I'd second that..... they would have sorted most of the niggles out by that stage - we hope! 

someone joked the other day that Microsoft now own shares in BMW - hence the pre-mature-pre-release of their operating system bike

Offline Réhann

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Triumph Tiger Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 10:49:01 am »

COLES

Geez, take a chill pill, will ya?   ::)

Rather answer than get all huffy.

At this stage, Metzeler is the only manufacturer with the the odd sizes in stock - inspite of the fact that the KTMs land here on Continentals. There is a good chance that Auto Cycle Centre will be bringing in Contis in that size really soon.

Offline Réhann

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Triumph Tiger Explorer
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 10:49:42 am »

Good advice

Or the Adventure!

:thumleft:  I'd second that..... they would have sorted most of the niggles out by that stage - we hope! 

someone joked the other day that Microsoft now own shares in BMW - hence the pre-mature-pre-release of their operating system bike

I would go for that option too.