Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2013 BMW 1200 L C  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: 2013 BMW 1200 L C
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 10:50:58 am »

To the dogs that have taken the time to reply I SAY THANK U

To AMZ it is very clear that u dont understand what damage pinging can do to any engine at any altitude maybe u should visit GOOGLE

To SLAAIBLAAR please think before u post there are a lot of knowledgeable  bike riders on the wonderful forum use the thing above your shoulders before you waste your time with stupid comments

COLES

082 258 0622  FOR ANY OTHER WORTHWHILE COMMENTS

Geez, take a chill pill, will ya?   ::)

Rather answer than get all huffy.

At this stage, Metzeler is the only manufacturer with the the odd sizes in stock - inspite of the fact that the KTMs land here on Continentals. There is a good chance that Auto Cycle Centre will be bringing in Contis in that size really soon.

:thumleft:  fantastic news.....  so my comment that there's only one brand was correct based on the info I was given.....  
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Réhann

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Triumph Tiger Explorer
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 10:52:52 am »

To AMZ it is very clear that u dont understand what damage pinging can do to any engine at any altitude maybe u should visit GOOGLE

To SLAAIBLAAR please think before u post there are a lot of knowledgeable  bike riders on the wonderful forum use the thing above your shoulders before you waste your time with stupid comments

COLES

Geez, take a chill pill, will ya?   ::)

Rather answer than get all huffy.

At this stage, Metzeler is the only manufacturer with the the odd sizes in stock - inspite of the fact that the KTMs land here on Continentals. There is a good chance that Auto Cycle Centre will be bringing in Contis in that size really soon.

:thumleft:  fantastic news.....  so my comment that there's only one brand was correct based on the info I was given.....  

:thumleft:

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 12:15:02 pm »

COLES

I have a LC and I'm so gatvol of these guys making statements without having a clue....read Gooses previous posts on the LC and you will understand even this one was a thumb suck, I know of at least 3 brands manufacturing 170's.  Sorry for trying to warn you about clueless posts. Go ahead and believe these nay sayers. Like I said in previous threads, I'm stupid that is why I like my LC

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 12:28:23 pm »

No need to visit Google.  Yes, pinging can destroy your engine, but only if you allow it to.  I grew up in an era when vehicles pinged because they did not have electronic ignition, anti-knock sensors, etc.  You had to drive in such a manner that it woul dnot ping.  My 1200GS pings under the severest conditions.  I avoid those conditions as learned when I rode bikes and cars with points, condensors, etc., i.e. if it pings in 6th gear at 2500 rpm, I use 5th or 4th at that speed.

Then again, if you need an excuse to get a news LC, this is as good as any.  :thumleft:
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Gryshond

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 08:12:19 am »
I know this is too late for Coles as he wanted to make a decision by Monday but still, here it is.

So, 11000km later my LC has had the following problems:

Left handlebar control unit (all the trip, info, cruise control etc) Trip selector stopped working. BMW replaced in half an hour
Clutch reservoir cap started leaking, looks like bike washer hooked a burr on the metal with a cloth and broke a piece off. BMW replaced in half an hour.
Headshake when slowing down from 80km and letting go of Handlebars (This was the crappy tourance tyres) I have my Karoo 3's on now for the bash and it is completely gone.
Rear Brake basically disappeared, you had to take your foot off the peg to push it down far enough. BMW fixed in 15 min apparently some air got in.
Clutch action inconsistent - this is the one thing they can't seem to do anything about.
Engine noisy - will have to learn to live with this. The intakes and air box now right below your head.
Front brake pads had to be replaced on 11000km and they are horrendously expensive (R2100). Sure I am heavy on brakes with commuting but still that is pretty fast.

Tourance Next tyres need to be mentioned again (may have been a bad batch) these tyres are terrible. They are slippery, unstable and wear ridiculously fast. You would have thought that slippery means they are hard and will last long but no, Metzler manage to hit the trifecta on these tyres, they are soft, slippery and unstable.
I have had to replace the rear with an Anakee 3, grip is much better but it is noisy.

Fuel consumption:
Up to 10 000 service 5.9 l/100km
Since service 5.6 l/100km

This bike might be brand new model, but I have heard and had more problems with bike models that have been out for years.

I have no qualms to recommend this model to anyone, in fact I recommended it to a friend and he even happier than I am (his came with Anakee 3 tyres).

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:52 am »
The Anakee III are a bit noisy on tar, but they perform really well. On dirt the performance of these tires was a real surprise to me. Did quite a lot of dirt highway roads, where the Anakee's performed 100%. On sections through the lowveld plantations, where the roads are covered by firn dust about 150 mm deep, they performed much better than expected, the same in sand. Just stay away from mud!

I will replace them as soon as I can find a reliable knobly tire. On my previous 1200 I had TKC's which I loved!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:58:22 am by BikerJan »

Offline COLES

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 11:21:11 am »

To all the dogs that have taken the time to reply i thank u very much

I took delivery of my new red l c on the 12 September have only done 65km but the bike is great lots lots of buttons

thank u all again

Coles in P E 

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 11:29:53 am »
Congratulations Coles, I hope you have just as much joy and fun with your bike than I have with mine.

Many safe kilometers!!!

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 09:52:29 am »
CONGRATS MATE!!!  may you have many, many safe km's!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Gene

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 10:18:26 am »
Congrats on your new Lc Coles,may you have many happy km.s  on it  :thumleft:

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 11:42:32 am »
Happy happy Coles!  :thumleft:

Enjoy the wasserkopf.  :ricky: