Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2013 Bash, updated , Kei,Morgan Bay area  (Read 7786 times)

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • East London
Re: 2013 Bash update , Kei,Morgan Bay area
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2013, 07:03:04 am »
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • East London
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2013, 07:04:27 am »
Jupiter and crowd, glad you had fun getting to hole in the wall, views along that route are inspiring. The transkei has a lot to offer. I am planning a ride north of port saint johns which will be spectacular.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Solo or a "guided trip"?
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Donaldbr

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha XT600, Yamaha WR250F
Re:
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2013, 07:29:45 am »
"Guided trip", but will be flexible. I will organise all, plan stay overs, costs, etc. Then will post on wd.
Been living in the area too long not to share.

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re:
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2013, 06:58:13 pm »
"Guided trip", but will be flexible. I will organise all, plan stay overs, costs, etc. Then will post on wd.

Dates!
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline Donaldbr

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha XT600, Yamaha WR250F
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2013, 06:49:50 am »

Dates still to work on, probably next year just after rain season.

Well open a forum for this ride for discussions,

Dates!

Offline Crab

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2013, 10:10:06 pm »
Our trip was great! I woke up on Friday morning with rain pouring down, so it was into rain suits and off to the meeting point. Jupiter was there already, and soon Duks and Jaybiker arrived. we rode to Patterson and met Difflock, then off to Grahamstown where we had a very welcome breakfast. My daughter Bridget joined us for the breakfast.
Refuel and off to Stutterheim for coffee, and then Kei mouth. The last 8km is a red route, very technical steep descent rutted and loose rocks. Although we had rain suits on all day we had left the rain in PE and only had a drizzle near Grahanstown, just enough to make the dust stick to us and our bikes. The campsite was in a valley and thankfully sheltered from the icy wind that was blowing.
 Saturday we went to look at Billy Nels museum, a very eccentric collector who has a jet aeroplane and stacks of bikes on display, then a quick ride to Double mouth and eventually sat for a couple of hours drinking coffee and having lunch at the hotel.
 Saturday we crossed the Kei river on a ferry and off to Trennerys for breakfast.
 Soon after that Duks had a puncture which we had to fix. Then on to Mazeppa bay for coffee. Dux discovers his wheel is flat again and we pump it up. The tube was damaged and we eventually patch it at a little town called Willowvale. The next morning at Coffee bay it is flat again, and we put our last spare tube in to solve the problem finally.
 Roads in the Transkei are very rough, and we had to travel slowly, being aware of goats, taxis pedestrians and stone throwers all the time. It took us 13 hours from Kei mouth to Coffee bay, not all riding obviously as we had to repair punctures, drink coffee and eat along the way. But still, it is only 250km.
 Monday we went to look at Hole in the Wall. The road we took along the cliff tops was the most scenic and wonderful best part of the ride. Then off to Umtata for breakfast, and via Cathcart to Hogsback, arriving a little after dark and booked into a hotel. I especially enjoyed riding inland in the Transkei, my Dad was a traveller for Otis, and I spent many school holidays riding with him in his company car, a VW Beetle, and in those days there were no tar roads in the Transkei.
I found it interesting that there are electric wires running to just about every hut I saw in the old Transkei, quite a task as these homes are often far apart, and not clustered together like in a town. The other thing are cell phone towers. I saw them everywhere and always had signal when I checked my phone. TK has entered the 21st century!
 Tuesday was breakfast at Away with the Fairies, and lunch at a game farm, where Carol, Duks sister, gave us a 5star lunch at this very exclusive hunting farm. The farm is huge, and we saw stacks of game riding through, including 4 rhino grazing just a couple of kilos from the farmhouse.
 After that, more wonderful roads back to home, arriving late in the afternoon with howling winds against us.
 We covered 1650km, mostly on gravel, saw beautiful places and fully enjoyed our getaway. Average speed was 61km/h and our moving time was 27 hours.
Duks was doing his first ride on the Yamaha which had 20km on the speedo when we left PE, and his grin every time we stopped told me he was very pleased with the purchase.
I was on Duks old bike, the DR, and was totally impressed with the bikes capabilities. Thanks Duks.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline Crab

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2013, 10:25:09 pm »
Jupiter has a unique way of navigating. He frowns at a paper map and declares "This way". He did a fantastic job of choosing roads, and I never used the routes I had planned at all.
Thanks Jupiter, it was great to have you as our Navigator, and chief mechanic. A pleasure to ride with you.
Below is our track, might be useful to you one day.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2013, 10:42:21 pm »
Holy mackerel, just look at all those gravel roads we will still have to do  :eek7: Like I said earlier, one of my best enjoyed rides. The company has a lot to do with it.

Just so you all know, it was Crab who, way back when, introduced me to the Forum. I'm not always so sure whether I should hold it against him or not.  :imaposer: Nah ! I've had a great time the past four years.  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline DRAZIL

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2013, 08:24:44 pm »
great photos Crab.We will have to do a trip into the Transkei and I'll bring my diving goods and bounce some bugs (crayfish) out for us,my old turf from my appy days in Natal :thumleft:
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline K-9

Re: 2013 Bash, updated , Kei,Morgan Bay area
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2014, 10:02:10 am »
I was in the bushpig at the time.  Harry and William had already left.  there where two burnouts one on the floor and one on the counter.  what a sight with the whole exhaust glowing white hot in the smoke and dark with sparks spraying from the tire, impressive from the little bike.
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).