Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Adding gussets to my subframe  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Straatkat

Re: Adding gussets to my subframe
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 10:56:23 am »
These 610's are so brilliant, they weigh much less than say a Dakar, and have oodles of power and great suspension, but to get all that   they had to make some compromises, and if it means you have to do a few things it is no big deal. Just like flirting with a beautiful Italian girl, chances are she will be a little more high maintenance...but the rewards, oh boy!...unless you are born with 2 left hands, then by all means buy a XR650L, but keep checking your rear view mirrors for some Huskies coming past!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Online Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 11:09:38 am »
 :patch: Just a technicality...

Should the Engineer in you not have designed the gussets to be welded along the neutral axis of the sub-frame
instead of the stressed portion of the tube where the welding changes the temper?
The cast portion is noticeably stiffened by the gusset, but don't you think the tube portion has now been weakened by the welding process?

Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 12:02:05 pm »
These 610's are so brilliant, they weigh much less than say a Dakar, and have oodles of power and great suspension, but to get all that   they had to make some compromises, and if it means you have to do

Well put, brother.  :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 09:16:41 am »
:patch: Just a technicality...

Should the Engineer in you not have designed the gussets to be welded along the neutral axis of the sub-frame
instead of the stressed portion of the tube where the welding changes the temper?
The cast portion is noticeably stiffened by the gusset, but don't you think the tube portion has now been weakened by the welding process?

Fair point.

I wasn't really worried about the tubing failing, but you are right it would have been better (although a tad tricky), to weld it to the middle of the tubing, instead of the stressed edge.

But overall I think its fine personally.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:19:00 am by alanB »
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 09:25:38 am »
I will not buy a bike I have to do such major work.

I think most bikes involve some sort of compromise, and as always it all depends on what style of riding you like.

Personally I think the 610 is actually one of the best DS bikes available.  Certainly suites my style of preferred riding very well. 

Also bear in mind that I tend to like these little projects and also like to do them before an issue arises rather than wait for trouble and then fix it. 

If you see that as a negative, well then maybe a GS Dakar or a something is a better choice for you?
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 12:43:07 pm »
Horses for courses. I am sure that everyone has an ideal bike. For me it's the 610 for everyday use. Even though I ride several other disciplines, the Husky is the one bike I ride almost daily. And I also like tinkering with it to see what can be improved, I will be really sad if it ever gets stolen, because of the many hours spent "customising" it to my needs.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.