Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ceres Koue Bokkeveld 200 (WCOC) 19th Oct  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Offroad2

Re: Ceres Koue Bokkeveld 200 (WCOC) 19th Oct
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 08:51:16 pm »
Fuzzy thank for your entry - you will be fine spent a couple hours up there this afternoon - we are relay privileged to ride up there, a little far but worth it it.
Dirk you introduced us to KB first regional then nationals -  now you get to ride it again going be great to see up there bud, Hey Peter J has also entered - lekker !

No Road like Off-Road

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 09:00:46 am »
WEATHER LOOKS GOOD FOR SAT
Koue Bokkeveld

Tomorrow, Friday 18/10/2013
Time   Forecast   Temp.    Precipitation   Wind
23:00–05:00       5°   0 mm    Light breeze, 3 m/s from east-southeast
05:00–11:00       3°   0 mm    Light breeze, 3 m/s from east-southeast
11:00–17:00       14°   0 mm    Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from east
17:00–23:00       18°   0 mm    Gentle breeze, 6 m/s from east-southeast
Saturday, 19/10/2013
Time   Forecast   Temp.    Precipitation   Wind
23:00–05:00       8°   0 mm    Light breeze, 3 m/s from east-southeast
05:00–11:00       7°   0 mm    Light breeze, 3 m/s from east-southeast
14:00–20:00       22°   0 mm    Light air, 1 m/s from southwest
20:00–02:00       14°   0 mm    Light breeze, 2 m/s from south-southeast

No Road like Off-Road

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2013, 09:09:57 pm »
Awesome ride, thanks and big up to the organisers for great hamburgers and a really well laid out track.. I always knew where to go.

If anyone finds a chain please let me know  :laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2013, 10:08:24 am »
Well done Murray - lekker venue - favourite for me  :thumleft:
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 10:44:34 am »
Spoke to a lot of people afterwards, and apart from the "awesome race" , "awesome track", the comments that stood out was the appreciation of the diversity offered by the track (it had literally something of everything) and the high standard of the marking of the track.

The riders could actually focus on what they were riding as opposed where to ride.

Well done Clive  :thumleft:

Would like to see how you will be be able to improve next time round.

Some comments from the die - hard racers:

http://www.cape-enduro.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&p=82371&sid=3bc0a18e344c9bc058ed6b0740c27940#p82357
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 03:51:55 pm »
+1

I was freaking relieved when i hit the sandy sections, felt at home for a bit. The long fast sections at the end were nice. I struggled in some of the rocks, I had to walk the bike through the river crossing by the dam, but I made it up RR  :laughing4:

The great marking of the route was a bonus for sure.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »
+1

Crazy Cuzzie, the first one is the worst, see you next time, you have the right spirit (It helps if you can laugh at your own afk@k, and come back for more)

Offline Buff

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2013, 08:40:31 pm »
Well done Muz, just starting was a step in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing you there at every race next year :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 03:43:57 pm »
See race report with some pictures    http://www.cape-enduro.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=82416#p82416

Maybe Tarryn can post it here please  - very nice report Tazza & well done on winning the ladies 2013 championship  :thumleft:

No Road like Off-Road

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 09:59:51 pm »
Well done Muz, just starting was a step in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing you there at every race next year :thumleft:

I dunno dude, I was a bit like a fish out of water on that 450. Sometimes i was nothing but arms and legs, I also failed in some sections. I can see why you have the smaller bike.

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 10:08:55 pm »
I was fracked afterwards!!!
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 10:11:21 pm »
Dirk you did very well mate   :thumleft:.. look forward to riding again soon.

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2013, 08:18:09 am »

Maybe Tarryn can post it here please  - very nice report Tazza & well done on winning the ladies 2013 championship  :thumleft:

Champions should not be held up by mundane tasks like this  :deal:  Well done Tarryn!

Worthwhile read, I'm sure everybody will enjoy.

Just a brief (aka. Shorter – I’m trying) Race Report for my Ceres KB200 race held on Saturday, I know I tend to over type it due to my “enthusiasm / enjoyment” level – apologies for that, so here’s trying to keep it shorter (with some pics!) 

Although my race in itself was fantastic, barring the first 15km’s of lap 1 being pure hell in putting the bike down a few times of note (once downhill and me running away from my downed bike), getting stuck in THE mud hole/crossing in the first few km’s and completely missing 4 markers INCLUDING the GREEN one on the top part of the course … and losing my way – having to track back.  :cry:

I enjoyed every second of it…

And of course with Rocky Ridge playing on my mind, every bit of rocky climb I got to I told myself that this was it, only to find another shortly afterwards. I even watched the km’s like a hawk, remembering Clive saying at Riders Briefing that after RR there would be 14km’s of open riding to the finish … but still, some of those rocky climbs BEFORE we reached the actual RR made me believe (in ignorance on lap 1) that that HAD to be it lol. 

Wow, what a route it was!!! After the first 15km’s of mishaps, I started finding “my feet”, or rather my wheels started finding “the lines” and I was in heaven!  I managed 3 laps (of which I am extremely proud especially given the fact that the majority of the men also only did 3 – although slower, mine still counted loll).     
 "friday" />

After lap 2 my time was 02:33: … and I was happy to go out for another with no protest whatsoever when Jan said “another lap”. I decided in the first lap already that I would willingly suffer (briefly) on RR on every lap, just to be able to ride the rest of it – as it was INDEED THE BEST COURSE OF THE YEAR. And the more I did RR, the better and quicker I found it. Magic indeed!   

Make no mistake it was a testing, and tiring course but the most rewarding of the lot with everything you can think of.

Dust / Rocks  :help: / Rocky step-up Climbs / Sand (ah was I relieved to hit some sand!) / Rocks  :help: / Steep rocky down hills / Water crossings / Did I mention rocks  :help: / MUD / Forestry section / Whoops and more rocks  :help:  (not sure if I mentioned that?)   

Those who missed this one …. Surely missed out!
And although 3 days later I STILL CAN BARELY MOVE A MUSCLE … I am still thriving on that ride and the memories. 

to:
-   WCOC for the awesome year, great routes and organisation and just everything about the club and what it stands for … it was a great FIRST year! Keep going.
-   Helderberg Yamaha (especially Divan) for always assisting this KTM rider in your pits.
-   GoPhoto for always capturing the moment (except THE ONE that counted on the last lap of KB200 to help fill in the blanks … Hey Dan? lol)
-   Everyone else who helps to make these race days possible, and
-   OF COURSE … all my fellow riders, who make every single race day one to remember!

On the down side :
-   Getting news of Dan’s accident and condition just before the start of our race, and seeing him in the ambulance not knowing if he’s Arthur or Martha - left that little bit of ‘fear’ in the back of one’s head as to exactly how dangerous this sport is …
-   Having extremely bad luck on the day (off the bike – not sure if that was the lucky part?):
      o   Getting a trailer flat wheel on Gydo pass – direction race venue (thanks Gert and Alexander Visser for stopping to help).
      o   With Op-die-Berg Co-op not being able to fix / replace the flat (blown) tyre the morning, the second blowout (same wheel) on the way home in the pitch dark, 17km’s outside Ceres was no fun.
      o   Stuck in the middle of nowhere with an Insurance company’s road side assist giving me grief, I opting at that stage to drive home at 20km/h and made it to Wellington, with nothing but the axle left (lol)
      o   A tow truck loaded Miss Daisy and the trailer and off we went … got home at 00h40 BUT SAFE AND SOUND AND VERY RELIEVED!
      o   And to top it off, on Sunday when I went to wash my bike I noticed that I had lost my ramp in the process too … it seems the tie broke and bye bye ramp. ~huge sigh~
      o   So …. I’ll be looking for new wheels or a new trailer in the new year and hopefully a ramp is included in that lol.

ENOUGH OF THAT NOW … Here’s some pics….

At the Start:

Some dust in the beginning … ok, let’s rephrase – A HELLUVA LOTTA DUST:

Some of the Terrain:

Riding the Road to nowhere:

My nemesis on lap 1, a rider was stuck on the line, so I thought I’d be clever and go around him … ja, thanks to Riki and Jay for stopping to help!

One of many downhills:

The first rocky climb with spectators – WOW, these guys made that climb. Felt like a pro going up there, and they stayed to support us to the last lap. Oh but they got excited when you put your bike down …. Lol:

Some more of the Terrain:

Some more of the Terrain:

Some sand and boy did I look forward to some sand!!!  I felt so comfortable and actually relaxed in it  ...can you believe it.  A while back I hated it … Felt like heaven on that bumpy route!

The Last section of the Dam(n) wall climb, I must say that pic the route directors posted on CE before the race does NOT do it justice.  It was ten times higher in real life … but went through it like a champ (will load more pics from GoPro frame by frame later):

A Lekker section picking your way through the huge rocks:

Loose rocky downhill section (one of a few):

More spectators … awesome support along the route, we made their day. They were taking video clips and photo’s and one woman even offered me some Black label Beer:

Some more of the ‘Rent a crowd’ – wow they were really great and fun to watch their reactions (will post a clip later to show their excitement):

Here I FINALLY caught Riki again on the first lap, after my mishap in the mud hole, and just before Rocky Ridge.

Rocky Ridge …the steep ruggedy and loose “little” bugger:

Rocky Ridge: Here I made it quarter way up on the first lap, got stuck and unfortunately Riki just behind me followed suit (sorry dear): 2nd and 3rd lap was a breeze …. 

Rocky Ridge – some more steepness – holy cow (not sure why this rider turned around or what he was looking for – not in distress at all):

Rocky Ridge – still going:

Rocky Ridge – and more:

The reward and best part of the day – lovely free flowing open riding  … the long awaited last 12km’s:

Great pit service by Helderberg and co. Even Ockert and Anton chipped in and two other guys (my bike was held up, refuelled, and started by the time I had hydrated – now that’s service)
Image</div>

Offline Tazza001

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2013, 09:43:59 am »
Hey Guys, I'm Tarryn (aka. Tazza001) and I came to post my report as requested by Clive, but I see that someone's beat me to it   :peepwall: ;)

Thanks for the kind words, really hope you enjoyed reading it :).
I Will post some clips from the GoPro on Cape Enduro in the next few days too.

You guys should really come and join us on these OffRoad races, WCOC is an awesome club who set fantastic routes for all levels of riding!
It is GREAT fun and so rewarding to ride ...

No matter what your skill level is, come join us, we all started out as novices (sometimes I still feel like one even after 1.5yrs of riding) and we are all still learning as we go along ....

You will NOT be sorry!

Cheers
 :sip:

2012 Honda CRF230 F (SOLD!) / 2013 KTM 200 XC-W (SOLD)
2015 Husqvarna 250 TE  (SOLD) / 2013 G650 BMW GS (SOLD)
2010 F800 BMW GS - Heaven on earth!!!
2012 KTM 200 EXE - not what I wanted
2017 Husqvarna 250 TE - awaiting your arrival my baby

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:39 am »
Hey Guys, I'm Tarryn (aka. Tazza001) and I came to post my report as requested by Clive, but I see that someone's beat me to it   :peepwall: ;)

Thanks for the kind words, really hope you enjoyed reading it :).
I Will post some clips from the GoPro on Cape Enduro in the next few days too.

You guys should really come and join us on these OffRoad races, WCOC is an awesome club who set fantastic routes for all levels of riding!
It is GREAT fun and so rewarding to ride ...

No matter what your skill level is, come join us, we all started out as novices (sometimes I still feel like one even after 1.5yrs of riding) and we are all still learning as we go along ....

You will NOT be sorry!

Cheers
 :sip:

Welcome and well done  :thumleft:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2013, 10:03:37 am »
some okes turned around at RR because there was apparently an escape route around the mountain somewhere near the bottom, some opted to rather go around.

Offline Tazza001

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2013, 10:39:40 am »
Thanks Beserker  :thumleft:

Oooh that's not good.  

The Route Director actually told me before the race that they decided on Friday to not mark the "chicken route" as an option as it was actually shorter than the route over RR, and hence an advantage to those making use of it.  

They therefore decided that everyone should go over as it was rideable ...

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:48:41 am by Tazza001 »
2012 Honda CRF230 F (SOLD!) / 2013 KTM 200 XC-W (SOLD)
2015 Husqvarna 250 TE  (SOLD) / 2013 G650 BMW GS (SOLD)
2010 F800 BMW GS - Heaven on earth!!!
2012 KTM 200 EXE - not what I wanted
2017 Husqvarna 250 TE - awaiting your arrival my baby

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2013, 10:51:18 am »
some okes turned around at RR because there was apparently an escape route around the mountain somewhere near the bottom, some opted to rather go around.

So how long was the chicken run Muz!??  :laughing4:

Yes Tazza there was no detour marked as clive said, I know because I knew where to look for it, and no I did not take the short cut. busted my manhood every time on RR!!  :thumleft:
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Buff

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2013, 11:52:36 am »

I dunno dude, I was a bit like a fish out of water on that 450. Sometimes i was nothing but arms and legs, I also failed in some sections. I can see why you have the smaller bike.

Yep, it takes a man on a horse to man handle a 450 around a technical track. 250's & 300's don't make it easy but sure make it easier than on a 450.

But don't stress, most of the tracks are easier than KB.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2013, 01:28:54 pm »
Thanks Beserker  :thumleft:

Oooh that's not good.  

The Route Director actually told me before the race that they decided on Friday to not mark the "chicken route" as an option as it was actually shorter than the route over RR, and hence an advantage to those making use of it.  

They therefore decided that everyone should go over as it was rideable ...

Yes we decided not to mark a chicken route as RR was rideable  as you proved :thumleft:
No Road like Off-Road