Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEWARE - ALL POTENTIAL BMW BUYERS  (Read 7234 times)

Offline JacoM

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
Re: BEWARE - ALL POTENTIAL BMW BUYERS
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2013, 10:58:34 am »
JacoM, you zumo....... :pot:

:biggrin:
Danie, As jy my nou n ZUMA genoem het sou ek aanstoot geneem het!
ps.:Stoot en Zuma gaan nogal hand aan hand!

I am also not happy with 2-3 weeks delivery of parts under normal conditions, but for the guys that is not into retail, etc., the following comment. Throughout the world, in all businesses, reducing stock levels at hand has been the focus point the last few years. It is the one tool that the Financial Managers understand and enforce to reduce "working capital", making a Manufacturing company more viable to investors . It will not change soon and I believe is here to stay.  The focus changed from "real time stock at hand" to "real time manufacturing".
It is only a matter of time before the "older" bikes, mine included, will experience even more issues than now with availability of parts.

Offline bomskok

« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2013, 11:28:42 am »
BMW has, in a pathetic attempt to make even more money out of zobos, began to outsource cylinder heads to Malaysia, cranks to Korea, casings to China, electrics to Britain,
bearings to Spain, frames to China, plastics to a colony of China, handlebar grips to Haiti, forks to China, swingarms to Zanzibar, chains to Turkey, clutches to farmworkers in China,
gearbox clusters to children of farmworkers in China, and so forth.

Now, when any corporation do the above, it is always wise to make notes as to who does what for you where. So you can order correctly to at least keep the client happy
for receiving stuff.

The client is still gonna be pissed about the quality.

Pray tell where Yamaha parts are being manufactured?

I agree with a previous poster about it not being easy to buy a new bike from Yamaha. I was interested in buying a new 660Z earlier this year. The salesman was so disinterested in his work it was sad to witness. They didn't have one in stock. (Which is waay more expensive than the Sertao bythe way...) Was told to phone back in a week "or so", they'll definitely have one then. I phoned back a week "or so" later and was told the same thing: "Phone me back in a week..."or so"". 2 weeks later I bought a new Sertao, touch wood so far I only need a new right front indicator.  :imaposer:  :lol8:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2013, 11:31:42 am »
I agree with a previous poster about it not being easy to buy a new bike from Yamaha. I was interested in buying a new 660Z earlier this year. The salesman was so disinterested in his work it was sad to witness. They didn't have one in stock. (Which is waay more expensive than the Sertao bythe way...) Was told to phone back in a week "or so", they'll definitely have one then. I phoned back a week "or so" later and was told the same thing: "Phone me back in a week..."or so"". 2 weeks later I bought a new Sertao, touch wood so far I only need a new right front indicator.  :imaposer:  :lol8:

I wanted a brand new SuperTen.  Finance approved.  Trade-in on DL1000 agreed.  Just waited for the bike to arrive.  After I phoned them a few times when they should have called me, I bought my second choice, a BMW.  Been on the Beemer now for almost three years.  Still waiting for them to call and tell me my S10 has arrived.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline bomskok

« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2013, 11:32:53 am »

I wanted a brand new SuperTen.  Finance approved.  Trade-in on DL1000 agreed.  Just waited for the bike to arrive.  After I phoned them a few times when they should have called me, I bought my second choice, a BMW.  Been on the Beemer now for almost three years.  Still waiting for them to call and tell me my S10 has arrived.

Is this the dealer in Strydom Park?

Offline TheBear

« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:20 am »

Is this the dealer in Strydom Park?

Nope.  Closer to Pretoria.

I am thinking of trading the Beemer in January 2014.  Maybe they will call just in time for that transaction?   :imaposer:

OR!  Maybe I should have just ordered all the required parts.  Could have had that the next day and then just assembled the bike myself?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:38:38 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Straddle

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2013, 09:21:50 pm »
JacoM, you zumo....... :pot:

:biggrin:
Danie, As jy my nou n ZUMA genoem het sou ek aanstoot geneem het!
ps.:Stoot en Zuma gaan nogal hand aan hand!

I am also not happy with 2-3 weeks delivery of parts under normal conditions, but for the guys that is not into retail, etc., the following comment. Throughout the world, in all businesses, reducing stock levels at hand has been the focus point the last few years. It is the one tool that the Financial Managers understand and enforce to reduce "working capital", making a Manufacturing company more viable to investors . It will not change soon and I believe is here to stay.  The focus changed from "real time stock at hand" to "real time manufacturing".
It is only a matter of time before the "older" bikes, mine included, will experience even more issues than now with availability of parts.
On your comment 2-3 weeks Even if I was in retail 3-5 months for BMW? If that is here to stay then all the more reason not to buy BMW.
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline Straddle

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2013, 09:23:24 pm »

I rather have no bike than have on sitting in the garage months on end waiting for parts.
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2013, 09:30:31 pm »
BMW has, in a pathetic attempt to make even more money out of zobos, began to outsource cylinder heads to Malaysia, cranks to Korea, casings to China, electrics to Britain,
bearings to Spain, frames to China, plastics to a colony of China, handlebar grips to Haiti, forks to China, swingarms to Zanzibar, chains to Turkey, clutches to farmworkers in China,
gearbox clusters to children of farmworkers in China, and so forth.

Now, when any corporation do the above, it is always wise to make notes as to who does what for you where. So you can order correctly to at least keep the client happy
for receiving stuff.

The client is still gonna be pissed about the quality.

Pray tell where Yamaha parts are being manufactured?

Of course the 660Z will be way more expensive than the Sertao??!! The 660Z is not a thinly disguised 600E, you know.

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2013, 10:14:40 pm »
How do you compare a XT660Z and the Sertao ?

Sertao - 1980's old school on/off road town scrambler.

XT660Z - modern dual purpose adventure bike ( probably the best off the shelf real world tourer available at the moment)
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #209 on: October 02, 2013, 08:09:39 am »
I can't believe the stupidity of some people . The chap with the Sertao  that has been a disaster has just ordered a GS800 and feels cool about it because BM have guaranteed him a loan bike if/while he waits for repairs and parts. ( they put it in writing)

Offline TheBear

« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2013, 08:48:59 am »

I wanted a brand new SuperTen.  Finance approved.  Trade-in on DL1000 agreed.  Just waited for the bike to arrive.  After I phoned them a few times when they should have called me, I bought my second choice, a BMW.  Been on the Beemer now for almost three years.  Still waiting for them to call and tell me my S10 has arrived.
I rather have no bike than have on sitting in the garage months on end waiting for parts.

Well yes, that is your choice.  My choice was to go for the Beemer and 90 000km later I have yet to have to wait for a part, but I have stated that over and over again so by now, you should know that my experience is different to yours.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:50:41 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline bomskok

« Reply #211 on: October 02, 2013, 09:06:17 am »
How do you compare a XT660Z and the Sertao ?

Sertao - 1980's old school on/off road town scrambler.

XT660Z - modern dual purpose adventure bike ( probably the best off the shelf real world tourer available at the moment)

I was actually dead keen on buying a 660Z, but due to the complete indifference of the sales staff at Linex Yamaha, I walked away. There was not even one on the floor to have a closer look at.

Can 2SD or anyone that knows, answer my question. Where are Yamaha parts being manufactured? I'm referring to his post above about outsourcing....

Offline TheBear

« Reply #212 on: October 02, 2013, 01:20:35 pm »
Can 2SD or anyone that knows, answer my question. Where are Yamaha parts being manufactured? I'm referring to his post above about outsourcing....

While we wait for a response, I will hazzard a guess.

Some in Indonesia?

How am I doing so far?
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2013, 03:15:07 pm »
Perhaps just a bum dealer. Here in Cape Town we have a great dealer , Helderberg Yamaha in Somerset West and Paarden Eiland.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2013, 03:38:08 pm »
Perhaps just a bum dealer. Here in Cape Town we have a great dealer , Helderberg Yamaha in Somerset West and Paarden Eiland.

So, if Yamaha have bum dealers and great dealers, would it be, in any way possible, do you think, that BMW may well also have bum and great dealers?
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2013, 04:28:16 pm »

So, if Yamaha have bum dealers and great dealers, would it be, in any way possible, do you think, that BMW may well also have bum and great dealers?

You a lawyer?
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2013, 05:19:23 pm »

You a lawyer?

Oi! I am asking the questions!  :ricky:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2013, 05:25:57 pm »
What relevance does it have where Yamaha parts are being manufactured?? :ricky:

Clue; Yamaha motor corporation is Japanese.

AMZ, I will never understand this Jannie-Jammerbal attitude of; "I wanted a so and so but they would not sell me one" ???????

If I wanted a S10, or whatever bike, car, house, I will ensure that I find someone who I can buy one from.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2013, 05:43:21 pm »
What relevance does it have where Yamaha parts are being manufactured?? :ricky:

Clue; Yamaha motor corporation is Japanese.

AMZ, I will never understand this Jannie-Jammerbal attitude of; "I wanted a so and so but they would not sell me one" ???????

If I wanted a S10, or whatever bike, car, house, I will ensure that I find someone who I can buy one from.

Jannie Jammerbal?  Nee wat ek is minder Jannie Jammerbal as wat jy Sarel Suurgat is. Yamaha se diens in die geval was kak.  Super kak en ek het gekies om met my geld te stem. Vir BMW gestem.  Uitstekende besluit.

O ja,  ingeval jy dit gemis het,  Yamaha se diens was kak.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #219 on: October 02, 2013, 05:53:30 pm »
I can't believe the stupidity of some people . The chap with the Sertao  that has been a disaster has just ordered a GS800 and feels cool about it because BM have guaranteed him a loan bike if/while he waits for repairs and parts. ( they put it in writing)

I think his choice in bikes is impeccable  :pot:
Rallye