Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEWARE - ALL POTENTIAL BMW BUYERS  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Re: BEWARE - ALL POTENTIAL BMW F800GS BUYERS
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 01:35:21 pm »
I heard elsewhere, there is not a single R1150 clutch plate to be found in the UK, INCLUDING from the independents..... huge problems ::) ::)

Take the clutch plate to Ferobrake  and they will reline it for you, actually take the whole clutch plate/pressure plate and fly wheel and let them service it. Before I moved up to JHB I worked for Ferobrake Empangeni, we did a couple there. Cost waaaaay less than buying from BMW.

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 01:46:26 pm »
I have heard that BMW SA will not supply any parts to any bike which has been written off. They have a policy that only they can buy and repair written off bikes.
I heard this from a friend who had a similar issue after he bought a written off 800.
Lets open that can of worms. Say I have an accident with my new GS 800 2013 model 1340km on the clock. I take it to a BMW dealer for a quote. The bike is then written off because the quote exceed say R 75 000,00. I then price the damage through another reputable workshop and find out that I can fix the bike for R 40 000,00 with parts quoted by BMW. I submit this quote and the insurance is happy to pay but here is the catch - BMW cannot supply the parts - So what do I do - I keep my mouth shut, take the new bike and let the Insurance take the knock. Im not saying this is the case but it can well be.

The story that BMW (or any other manufacturer) won't supply parts for a written-off bike is urban legend, or rumour or just plain balderdash.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Straddle

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »
I have heard that BMW SA will not supply any parts to any bike which has been written off. They have a policy that only they can buy and repair written off bikes.
I heard this from a friend who had a similar issue after he bought a written off 800.
Lets open that can of worms. Say I have an accident with my new GS 800 2013 model 1340km on the clock. I take it to a BMW dealer for a quote. The bike is then written off because the quote exceed say R 75 000,00. I then price the damage through another reputable workshop and find out that I can fix the bike for R 40 000,00 with parts quoted by BMW. I submit this quote and the insurance is happy to pay but here is the catch - BMW cannot supply the parts - So what do I do - I keep my mouth shut, take the new bike and let the Insurance take the knock. Im not saying this is the case but it can well be.

The story that BMW (or any other manufacturer) won't supply parts for a written-off bike is urban legend, or rumour or just plain balderdash.
Its not a question of will they supply, but can they supply in a reasonable time (in BMW case it seems like 3 to 12 months would be a reasonable time)
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline Straddle

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »

Its not a question of will they supply, but can they supply in a reasonable time (in BMW case it seems like 3 to 12 months would be a reasonable time)
Look at my avatar and you see a wilddog waiting for BMW parts
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 02:20:20 pm »

I responded to a person who stated that BMW refuses to supply parts for written-off bikes.  Sort off a sideline discussion of the slow supply discussion.

Personally, I have yet to wait for a part for more than a day, but I have to admit, I did not require parts in the last month or so.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:21:16 pm by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 04:23:36 pm »
My experience with my BM scooter was the same. New bike standing waiting for parts for a recurring problem and they can't tell me when the parts will be available . Rumors from a friend at BMW Germany that the factory has no stock didn't give me much hope. I think the motor rad bubble is about to burst.

Just go to any BM dealer and see lines of new models standing in the workshop waiting for warranty parts. What are are the chances when they go out of warranty?
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 05:23:39 pm »
My experience with my BM scooter was the same. New bike standing waiting for parts for a recurring problem and they can't tell me when the parts will be available . Rumors from a friend at BMW Germany that the factory has no stock didn't give me much hope. I think the motor rad bubble is about to burst.

Just go to any BM dealer and see lines of new models standing in the workshop waiting for warranty parts. What are are the chances when they go out of warranty?

Bad for BMW,  but then,  just amongst my riding friends the past few years.

- DL1000 waited 23 working days for a voltage regulator.
- CBR600RR waited o weeks for an ECU.
- KLR650 waited 5 weeks for a ECU

.#BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 05:42:33 pm »
en daarom is nie alle dealerships nou bad nie .... shoe hoe kom jy by daai een uit ?

Dit is nou soos om te se omdat ek nog nooit n KTM besit het nie is hulle nou sleg ......?
Klink soos n 2SD redinasie hier ....

Chill n bietjie , gaan ry so n draai op daai 990 en dan is die wereld weer OK .....  :thumleft:

Since you dragged me in here, please supply proof of where I said that all dealers are bad?? It's not the dealers, it's the magnitude of different Chinese suppliers that's letting them down.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 05:55:13 pm »
en daarom is nie alle dealerships nou bad nie .... shoe hoe kom jy by daai een uit ?

Dit is nou soos om te se omdat ek nog nooit n KTM besit het nie is hulle nou sleg ......?

Chill n bietjie , gaan ry so n draai op daai 990 en dan is die wereld weer OK .....  :thumleft:

Since you dragged me in here, please supply proof of where I said that all dealers are bad?? It's not the dealers, it's the magnitude of different Chinese suppliers that's letting them down.

Het nou net n maand gewag vir n part vir honda XR 125. Die part moet van China af kom. Het die part gekry
met honda logo en alles op en groot "Made in China". Die part is toe verkeerd bestel deur Honda Centurion en nou seker nog n maand wag.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:56:27 pm by subie »
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2013, 05:55:56 pm »
I know this does not help much in this discussion but the longest I had to wait for a Yamaha part is 24 hours.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2013, 06:11:04 pm »

Chill n bietjie , gaan ry so n draai op daai 990 en dan is die wereld weer OK .....  :thumleft:

Sadly Dan,  you have it spot-on.  It will eventually be a issue with all manufacturers who outsource to China.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2013, 06:21:16 pm »
I know this does not help much in this discussion but the longest I had to wait for a Yamaha part is 24 hours.

Indeed. Even the oldies.

Offline wackhead

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2013, 06:43:04 pm »
Obviously some big problems with spares and too little stock held in South Africa. BMW is supposed to be a premium brand but the brand is only as good as the after-sales service which seems to be disgusting. BMW needs a major kick to the ass to make them wake up and sacrifice some profit to a larger local inventory.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2013, 06:47:52 pm »
I heard elsewhere, there is not a single R1150 clutch plate to be found in the UK, INCLUDING from the independents..... huge problems ::) ::)

Look on the bright side of life, there is fortunately only one plate. Imagine the your Boxer had a multi-plate clutch like the Japanese bikes! :imaposer:

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2013, 07:54:55 pm »

Haven't had a Yamie for some years and the last I had was a 700 Raptor quad.  Only waited for a part once and then only 48 hours.

.#BRADICAL!

Offline Dux

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:02 pm »

Ordered spares from a Yamaha dealer yesterday , they contacted me earlier today to inform me that the spares had arrived .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Straddle

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2013, 10:08:11 pm »
I think what should happen is that BMW must start scalping new bikes for spares instead of selling them, at least there will be happy customers. I would rather have my name on a waiting list for a new bike than on a parts waiting list.
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline Straddle

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2013, 10:12:33 pm »
Sorry Sorry Sorry !!!

I have worked at Atlantic Motorrad for the past 8 years and yes we are experiencing huge problems with parts from Germany. BMW Germany in order to improve parts delivery changed the the company that distributes their parts. The new company is having theething problems and are busy sorting the problem out.

Please accept our apologies and if you are still having problems please contact me so that I can follow up and communicate back to you.

david.higgs@ bmwdealer.co.za

Please be gentle on me as I am only trying to help!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks David, I spoke to you if you can recall on Tuesday, you promised feedback yesterday, got an email this morning (not yesterday as promised) in which you apologize. I accept your apologies but still have no dates of when parts arriving. It can still take another 8 weeks and all BMW do is apologize. Please give me dates. If you want me to lodge my complaint with BMW MOTORAD directly Im more than willing to do so and put pressure to get this resolved but will gladly leave it with you if you say so.  ;DI will naturally be very impressed if BMW supply me with a bike that my son can use (he already missed 4 trips) while awaiting the arrival of these parts. ;D
As the Artfull Dodger you can actually report back in this fred so that all dogs with BMW's can sleep at easy
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2013, 07:34:42 am »

Ordered spares from a Yamaha dealer yesterday , they contacted me earlier today to inform me that the spares had arrived .

I ordered a spare for a KTM this morning and they already phoned me last week to say it was ready.  Since we are playing the one-upmanship game.   :P

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
Pass this way once!