Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEWARE - ALL POTENTIAL BMW BUYERS  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
Re: BEWARE - ALL POTENTIAL BMW BUYERS
« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2013, 10:03:29 am »
Phone KTM...i think we got your radiators...
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline sheldyn

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • dictum meum pactum
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2013, 10:13:44 am »
Straddle... how long do you say this has been going on for?  and is that follow up response from BMW SA or still from the dealer?
There may be some real recourse if there are enough "in warranty" BMW owners with problems - is yours still under warranty?   I did read an article saying that BMW is supplying loan vehicles to customers that cannot get parts.

I have a part being ordered today for my Sertao and I am demanding a loan bike - lets see if I get it  :-\
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline Straddle

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2013, 06:14:28 pm »
Straddle... how long do you say this has been going on for?  and is that follow up response from BMW SA or still from the dealer?
There may be some real recourse if there are enough "in warranty" BMW owners with problems - is yours still under warranty?   I did read an article saying that BMW is supplying loan vehicles to customers that cannot get parts.

I have a part being ordered today for my Sertao and I am demanding a loan bike - lets see if I get it  :-\
Going on for 4 months now. Im actually talking to BMW Customer support which is not giving support. I actually went into DONFORD in Stellenbosch today which is not the dealer where I ordered the parts. Had a nice long chat with Micheal their parts sales executive. Very nice straigtforward guy. The dealers hands are tied, they can just give you dates that Germany give them. This is where the problem comes in. BMW changes the expected delivery dates all the time, so he would promise one thing that his computer tells him and that would change the next week. I did promise a bonfire in their showroom with a GS 800 fueling the fire though. I still think BMW support sucks. Im not sure mine is under warranty although its a 2013 with only 1340km on the clock. I bought mine at an auction and I paid a fair price but it is stil a BMW that need support. Hence my suspicion that this bike was written off, not because of amount of damage but because of unavailabality of parts. I dont think BMW wil loan ice in the winter to me at this stage, let alone a bike to use. I wanted to strip the parts of a showroom bike today but they threatened to have me locked up :biggrin:
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline Straddle

« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2013, 06:18:18 pm »
Im sure they have Pete, serves me right to actually buy a BMW. I feel like a KTM brand traitor that has been caught and sentenced :-[
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline Straddle

« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2013, 06:21:41 pm »
Im sure they have Pete, serves me right to actually buy a BMW. I feel like a KTM brand traitor that has been caught and sentenced :-[
Maybe I should fit KTM panels
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline sheldyn

• dictum meum pactum
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2013, 06:52:42 pm »
i tell you something.  after my recent experience with BMW i think im officially a changed man.

when i get my bike back im selling it.  there cannot be worse service than this.

not just the distribution problems in Germany but the fact that they keep absolutely no spares in this country is enough for me.  im done with it. 
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline Straddle

« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2013, 07:09:14 pm »
i tell you something.  after my recent experience with BMW i think im officially a changed man.

when i get my bike back im selling it.  there cannot be worse service than this.

not just the distribution problems in Germany but the fact that they keep absolutely no spares in this country is enough for me.  im done with it. 

Good for you, i think there is more guys that feels like that than you and me. This spares problem will effect sales eventually
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline Alan

« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2013, 07:46:07 pm »
No question this is SERIOUSLY going to hurt BMW.. Sad times, both for them, and all of the BMW owners..  :-\

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2013, 07:49:56 pm »
Ditto me and my brief BM relationship. I think they smell out KTM owners and give us kak service.

Mrs Badseed has always for reasons unknown to me hated the BMW brand and makes a throat clearing sound before uttering the three letters. My shares went up when I got rid of the scooter.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2013, 07:54:43 pm »
What really surprised me about my experience with Donfords and BMW Is how the warm friendly bud for life atmosphere change to cold distaste the moment I let them known I thought their bike sucked and they should take it back.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline Straddle

« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2013, 07:58:20 pm »
What really surprised me about my experience with Donfords and BMW Is how the warm friendly bud for life atmosphere change to cold distaste the moment I let them known I thought their bike sucked and they should take it back.
I think they might be playing good cop bad cop with me, my problem is that when i do get spares maybe hopefully within the next year or so, i need to sell this flippen bike.
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline DSNewbie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2013, 08:03:21 pm »
I think they might be playing good cop bad cop with me, my problem is that when i do get spares maybe hopefully within the next year or so, i need to sell this flippen bike.

Since you have warned us all of the kak service, who are you going to sell to?

Sorry, just trying to find some humor in this, I would have been seriously pissed off in the same situation.

Offline sheldyn

• dictum meum pactum
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2013, 08:14:48 pm »
The question i ask is what the hell do i buy???  I dont know where to start.  The 800gs was next on the list for me.  What would be its equal in other brands?
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline Alan

« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2013, 08:16:21 pm »
ANYONE who buys a BMW now, (suffice to say they are AWARE OF THE PROBLEMS), deserves the kark they're going to get. I'm surprised the BMW Club Websites haven't been going berzerk with this story.
If they aren't aware of this, they should be doing a lot of personal research anyway.

I think the bottom is going to fall out of the BMW market totally, and sad to say this, but MANY friends and members with a lot of BMW in their garage are going to lose a HUGE percentage of their value with this.

Offline sheldyn

• dictum meum pactum
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2013, 08:23:03 pm »
This is the point, even when they correct their distribution system which will happen eventually,  they still need to keep spares in the country.  Its bullshit that everytime theirs a minor repair we have to wait 2 weeks for a part.  Its pathetic for such a big brand.  I commute on my bike, its not all fun and games for me.  Now i sit and wait.

Could be 2 weeks and could be 2 months, what do they care.

More so, i think the quality of their components have gone to shit.  Unless my bike is a just a lemon.  But i do have more and more failing parts.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:27:34 pm by sheldyn »
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline TheBear

« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2013, 08:38:07 pm »
The question i ask is what the hell do i buy???  I dont know where to start.  The 800gs was next on the list for me.  What would be its equal in other brands?

You are not serious!  It doesn't take much research to know what, from other brands, are roughly equal to the 800GS.  Of hand, I would say the following is worth including in your research:

Truimph 800XC
Honda VFR800X
Suzuki DL1000 (only be launched in 2014)

There may be more, but the above three comes to my mind.  Personally I would wait for the DL1000 next year.

I'm surprised the BMW Club Websites haven't been going berzerk with this story.

Maybe because it is not as bad a story as some would like it to be?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:41:08 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2013, 08:46:14 pm »
BMW has, in a pathetic attempt to make even more money out of zobos, began to outsource cylinder heads to Malaysia, cranks to Korea, casings to China, electrics to Britain,
bearings to Spain, frames to China, plastics to a colony of China, handlebar grips to Haiti, forks to China, swingarms to Zanzibar, chains to Turkey, clutches to farmworkers in China,
gearbox clusters to children of farmworkers in China, and so forth.

Now, when any corporation do the above, it is always wise to make notes as to who does what for you where. So you can order correctly to at least keep the client happy
for receiving stuff.

The client is still gonna be pissed about the quality.

Well now, why would a zobo even know what quality is, to be pissed about it?

Did you call me a zobo?

What the hell is a zobo? Which one are you refering to!?

- Zobo is also the word in the Hausa language for the edible plant Hibiscus sabdariffa.
- Zobo Funn Band, a rock 'n roll/jazz band
- "Zobo" is the nickname of Abdulkadir Mohamed Adan, a leader of the Somali Democratic Movement, a faction in Somali Civil War
- Zobo was the project codename for the Triumph Herald
- Zobo is a track from the album Tokyo 2674, published by the Italian composer of contemporary music Niccolo Faraci

Did you mean Zozo?

Did you mean Bozo?

SPEAK UP MAN!

:imaposer:

Don't you just hate it when GOOGLE create so many professors? :imaposer:

Offline JacoM

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2013, 09:01:30 pm »
To all potential BMW F800GS Buyers and current owners the following word of caution - you wont get any parts backup from the dealers. I bought a 2013 F800GS with minimal damage from a auction house earlier this year. Ordered parts from Auto Atlantic in Capetown. I had to pay for the parts before it was ordered on the 10 th of July 2013. I was promised delivery within six weeks seeing these parts were on backorder. Up to date no parts and no clue from Auto Atlantic of when the parts are arriving. I came to the conclusion that Auto Atlantic must have taken my money and never ordered the parts from Germany or BMW cannot give any backup whatsoever for these bikes. Auto Atlantic does not respond at all, only promise to have a look at it and never reply back to me. BMW can learn from KTM in this respect, so my advice is never ever let your bmw fall over, you won't get parts.

I did not read all pages, only scanned a few.
You guys are over reacting big time.
The fact that BMW in Germany f. uped the new MRP system does not make the 800GS a bad bike . For f...sakes.
Shit happens with new systems. A couple of years ago, at my previous employer, we implemented SAP, and nearly ran out of stock countrywide. (It was in the wine industry, so I also would have overreacted.... ;))
I rode with one of the senior Sales persons in the WC this weekend.
It is a big disaster. Yes.
There is months worth of back orders in the system. Dealers all over the world are duplicating orders to push their orders to the front. This creates just more chaos. The local dealers are taking parts from new bikes where possible to keep clients happy. Obviously only shifting the frustration. Body parts are most affected and the newer bikes suffers the most. (I have no comment re the scooter that packed up... ;D)
How serious this may sound, it is only temporary. In a few months time it will be sorted.....and the 800GS will still be a flippen lekka bike.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2013, 09:02:09 pm »

Don't you just hate it when GOOGLE create so many professors? :imaposer:

Google se gat!  Vra vir 2SD!
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2013, 09:03:53 pm »

I did not read all pages, only scanned a few.
You guys are over reacting big time.
The fact that BMW in Germany f. uped the new MRP system does not make the 800GS a bad bike . For f...sakes.
Shit happens with new systems. A couple of years ago, at my previous employer, we implemented SAP, and nearly ran out of stock countrywide. (It was in the wine industry, so I also would have overreacted.... ;))
I rode with one of the senior Sales persons in the WC this weekend.
It is a big disaster. Yes.
There is months worth of back orders in the system. Dealers all over the world are duplicating orders to push their orders to the front. This creates just more chaos. The local dealers are taking parts from new bikes where possible to keep clients happy. Obviously only shifting the frustration. Body parts are most affected and the newer bikes suffers the most. (I have no comment re the scooter that packed up... ;D)
How serious this may sound, it is only temporary. In a few months time it will be sorted.....and the 800GS will still be a flippen lekka bike.

Uh oh!  Now you are in beeeg trouble.  Uncled 2SD is going to call you a Zumo or something like that!   :laughing4:
#33 #BRADICAL!