Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEWARE - ALL POTENTIAL BMW BUYERS  (Read 6911 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
Re: BEWARE - ALL POTENTIAL BMW BUYERS
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:18 pm »

Don't you just hate it when GOOGLE create so many professors? :imaposer:

Google se gat!  Vra vir 2SD!

Thank you/dankie! :imaposer:

Offline Alan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #181 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:45 pm »
The question i ask is what the hell do i buy???  I dont know where to start.  The 800gs was next on the list for me.  What would be its equal in other brands?

You are not serious!  It doesn't take much research to know what, from other brands, are roughly equal to the 800GS.  Of hand, I would say the following is worth including in your research:

Truimph 800XC
Honda VFR800X
Suzuki DL1000 (only be launched in 2014)

There may be more, but the above three comes to my mind.  Personally I would wait for the DL1000 next year.

I'm surprised the BMW Club Websites haven't been going berzerk with this story.

Maybe because it is not as bad a story as some would like it to be?

AMZ, go do some research yourself if you don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be.. With IBM withdrawing back-end systems from BMW Workshops and Spares systems in July, (read 60 days ago), well after most of the problems already started, according to Europe, and the USA< it's a VERY serious issue.  

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2013, 09:06:17 pm »
JacoM, you zumo....... :pot:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2013, 09:06:48 pm »

AMZ, go do some research yourself if you don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be.. With IBM withdrawing back-end systems from BMW Workshops and Spares systems in July, (read 60 days ago), well after most of the problems already started, according to Europe, and the USA< it's a VERY serious issue.  

I have done the research.  I have done the reading.  It is a very serious issue.  No doubt.  Is it serious enough to sink BMW?  Nope.  They will survive and survive well.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #184 on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »
JacoM, you zumo....... :pot:

AHA!

Just call me Nostruamzus!   :ricky:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline sheldyn

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • dictum meum pactum
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2013, 09:13:33 pm »
For me i can accept that this distribution problem will be fixed.  I cant accept bmw keeping no spares in the country even prior to this.  We should not have to wait for parts from germany, they should keep a small inventory here.  Its called after sales service, which seems to no longer exist.  The dealerships are at the mercy of bmw sa and bmw sa doesnt seem to give a shit anymore.  How can they not keep one water pump for a 650gs in the country?  Come on, thats pathetic.
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2013, 09:16:17 pm »
They have so few parts available, BMW is even withdrawing from WSB.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2013, 09:17:49 pm »
For me i can accept that this distribution problem will be fixed.  I cant accept bmw keeping no spares in the country even prior to this.  We should not have to wait for parts from germany, they should keep a small inventory here.  Its called after sales service, which seems to no longer exist.  The dealerships are at the mercy of bmw sa and bmw sa doesnt seem to give a shit anymore.  How can they not keep one water pump for a 650gs in the country?  Come on, thats pathetic.

As I have said many times over, this is not the experience of the vast majority of BMW owners and the opinion of the majority is what really matters.  We were at a BMW dealer this Saturday.  
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2013, 09:19:03 pm »

Oh!  Is this the reason why Yamaha withdrew from SBK completely two years ago? 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2013, 09:20:58 pm »

And Suzuki ....
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2013, 09:21:32 pm »

.... and Honda ....
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2013, 09:45:14 pm »
Maybe they all withdrew because of parts shortages too, but all I know is that I can today walk into my Yamaha dealer, hold my head up high and ask for any part I should wish to own.

And receive it straight away, or at least within a day.

Offline Straddle

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2013, 10:30:56 pm »
To all potential BMW F800GS Buyers and current owners the following word of caution - you wont get any parts backup from the dealers. I bought a 2013 F800GS with minimal damage from a auction house earlier this year. Ordered parts from Auto Atlantic in Capetown. I had to pay for the parts before it was ordered on the 10 th of July 2013. I was promised delivery within six weeks seeing these parts were on backorder. Up to date no parts and no clue from Auto Atlantic of when the parts are arriving. I came to the conclusion that Auto Atlantic must have taken my money and never ordered the parts from Germany or BMW cannot give any backup whatsoever for these bikes. Auto Atlantic does not respond at all, only promise to have a look at it and never reply back to me. BMW can learn from KTM in this respect, so my advice is never ever let your bmw fall over, you won't get par. I got one for 5 months sitting in my garage

I did not read all pages, only scanned a few.
You guys are over reacting big time.
The fact that BMW in Germany f. uped the new MRP system does not make the 800GS a bad bike . For f...sakes.
Shit happens with new systems. A couple of years ago, at my previous employer, we implemented SAP, and nearly ran out of stock countrywide. (It was in the wine industry, so I also would have overreacted.... ;))
I rode with one of the senior Sales persons in the WC this weekend.
It is a big disaster. Yes.
There is months worth of back orders in the system. Dealers all over the world are duplicating orders to push their orders to the front. This creates just more chaos. The local dealers are taking parts from new bikes where possible to keep clients happy. Obviously only shifting the frustration. Body parts are most affected and the newer bikes suffers the most. (I have no comment re the scooter that packed up... ;D)
How serious this may sound, it is only temporary. In a few months time it will be sorted.....and the 800GS will still be a flippen lekka bike.

Would not know if the GS 800 is a lekka bike. Got one sitting in my garage for 5 months waiting for parts. Can't wait to ride it, maybe in the next couple of months
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:36:24 pm by Straddle »
KTM 1290 R -
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
KTM 640

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2013, 06:35:48 am »
Maybe they all withdrew because of parts shortages too, but all I know is that I can today walk into my Yamaha dealer, hold my head up high and ask for any part I should wish to own.

Their service is good, I just wish they didn't discontinue parts so quickly....    :peepwall:  Everyone does I suppose, except the non Jap brand  ;)
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2013, 06:53:45 am »

Their service is good, I just wish they didn't discontinue parts so quickly....    :peepwall:  Everyone does I suppose, except the non Jap brand  ;)

I still find parts from Yamaha's of the 70's from the Yamaha dealers. I know some XT500 stuff has been discontinued, and that after only 35 years...... :eek7:

Offline JVR

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2013, 07:24:29 am »

I still find parts from Yamaha's of the 70's from the Yamaha dealers. I know some XT500 stuff has been discontinued, and that after only 35 years...... :eek7:

Seker maar omdat hulle so min verkoop het.....parte is gewoonlik dan volop. >:D :biggrin:
Life's not short,it is the longest thing you'll ever do.

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2013, 07:30:08 am »

Seker maar omdat hulle so min verkoop het.....parte is gewoonlik dan volop. >:D :biggrin:

More importantly, the US still has stock of some bits  ???  The IT's and my XT550's carb spares are finished.  Worst is it is Mikuni spares and not Yamaha.  It is sad that bikes have become disposable goods.  With new models changing every year or two - and spares guaranteed for only seven years.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline lecap

« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2013, 07:50:12 am »
For me i can accept that this distribution problem will be fixed.  I cant accept bmw keeping no spares in the country even prior to this.  We should not have to wait for parts from germany, they should keep a small inventory here.  Its called after sales service, which seems to no longer exist.  The dealerships are at the mercy of bmw sa and bmw sa doesnt seem to give a shit anymore.  How can they not keep one water pump for a 650gs in the country?  Come on, thats pathetic.

No, it's cheap.

The problem does not lie with JIT logistics JIT is great and supposed to make things cheaper and easier.
It 's just that the manufacturers (or the distributors?) apparently get overly greedy.
Or how would you explain that I as a little nobody can air cargo three rear shocks from Cape Town to Bangkok within 36 hours whilst bike factories & importers need three to four weeks to convey a spare part from Japan or Europe to South Africa?
It might be coincidence but the lead times of parts from overseas seem to equal the time a container spends art sea from those destinations?

JIT logistics and globalisation make the product cheaper = more profitable. Less investment on the manufacturers side since they can get away without large warehouses and without spares stock, the stock now sits at the globalised contractors, computers find, collect and channel the stream of parts and direct it to importers, dealers and customers.

The system is much more complex than the spare parts supply of old and we engineers will tell you that complexity primarily adds one thing: Failure modes.

Whilst the nerds will tell you the MTBF is a million years.

See Three Mile Island, Chernobyl & Fukushima
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline TheBear

« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2013, 09:05:52 am »

Very true. I can attest to that when I had my last Yamahas.  This thread is about crap BMW service though, no so much great Yamaha service. 

Of course, buying a whole, brand new, bike from them isn't that easy.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2013, 09:07:44 am »

More importantly, the US still has stock of some bits  ???  The IT's and my XT550's carb spares are finished.  Worst is it is Mikuni spares and not Yamaha.  It is sad that bikes have become disposable goods.  With new models changing every year or two - and spares guaranteed for only seven years.

Can't use the USA as an example.  I can still buy parts for my 1959 John Deere tractor over the counter in the USA.  ;-)
#33 #BRADICAL!