Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Do you commute on your bike?  (Read 1940 times)

shark_za

Do you commute on your bike?
« on: February 01, 2006, 08:22:13 am »
Of our current users, who uses thier bike as a daily commuter?
If not daily, who uses it during the week when the feeling takes you, and how many are weekend riders?

Personally I HATE the JHB traffic and will rather sit wet on my bike than have to queue for 20 minutes to go 500m.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 08:23:40 am »
this one is easy.... i work from home
but, its also the only transport i have  :)

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 08:27:09 am »
I commute as much as possible. I often spend a lot of the day going from customer to customer, so the bike is not always practical. But I commute on it as much as possible. Today is going to be one of those days, can't wait....

:P  :P  :P  :P  8)
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline accton

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 08:30:12 am »
Got the bike for 9 months, done 21000Km need I say more
hat you believe will depend very much on what you are.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 08:32:02 am »
One of those "unfortunate" persons whose personal circumstances do not allow daily or even weekly rides on my bike. Got two small kids and I take them to school every day. Weekends is about the only time I have available to ride but even then my time with the family takes first place.

So, I "search" for excuses to get on the bike whenever I can. I "forget" , for example, to buy Lotto tickets and then get on the bike to go get it. Nearest Lotto outlet is 2 km's from home but I do a 30-40km round trip! :lol:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Do you commute on your bike?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 08:34:51 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Of our current users, who uses thier bike as a daily commuter?
If not daily, who uses it during the week when the feeling takes you, and how many are weekend riders?

Unfortunately, I drop kids off at school in the mornings and often need the car during the day and have to attend lots of "collar & tie" meetings, not really practical for me during the week.

Welshie  8)

The only difference between a rut and a grave......... is in their dimensions
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline droffarc

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 08:42:10 am »
I Ghave de company car
I often must Go to visit staff at branches or take my boss somewhere.
Often this happens on the spur of the moment, without warning.
I often take a chance on a Friday, sometimes I am embarrassed,
most times I arrive on Fridays with a broad SMILE and a spring in my step.
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 09:14:51 am »
I sold my cage in order to afford a bike, i looked at replacing a motorvehicle, and there was nothing in the price range i was lookin 'cept for my dak of course (hehehehe). I commute daily, when it rains, when the sun shines. it is the highlight of my day, i live 23km from work, but find myself leaving early and taking the loong way round (75km).

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 09:15:31 am »
Mine is all a mixed affair - I commute about 50% of the time.  I have two small boys too - so sometimes its the school-thing with the car.  Etc etc

As with a lot of things in live - we just try to do our best.  I ride as often as I can - circumstances, weather, etc permitted.

I can't ride every weekend since the wife works every second weekend - them I'm on children-drills.

I was thinking of getting a sidecar (its been done) for the KLR - just to take the boys with on a ride - they each choose a helmet for a birthday present (instead of a PS2, play cars, etc  :shock: ) - so they're willing and able to go riding with me, but I can only take one at a time and they're still too small for longer distances and rough routes.

Cheers
H

Offline toucan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 09:25:29 am »
i don't have a car and i refuse to get one.
i enjoy commuting, well i used to on my gs. the guzzi i am using now is a bit of a bitch in traffic. heavy clutch, heavy throttle, suspension with no damping, crap riding position. the low down torque is nice though. and its still better than sitting in a car.
i don't know when my bike will be fixed. i am even starting to dream about it.
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Oppad

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 09:36:03 am »
Come rain, come shine I commute on the bike (40k round trip). Very seldom that I go by car and then only if circumstances dictate it as an absolute necessity. Lane splitting also get you lekker wake-up for work.

Try to ride most weekends, even if only for an hour or two

Offline Reg

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Failure is not an option.
    • GDI
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 10:29:43 am »
I commute on the bike every day, come rain or shine. 80KM round trip. All that changes is the gear, almost on a daily basis.

Always have my rain suit with me, got me out of the dwang many times. Put my Notebook in my backpack, To reduce vibration) and strap my notebook bag to the back of the bike, this contains change of pants, rain suit and overboots. (I always wear my riding pants, and boy does that get hot.)

My latest addition is a da-glo orange bib with shiny bits on it. I use this for the mist and fog.

Later
Regards

Reg

To fly is great, to hover is awesome. Ex- Helicopter Pilot.. for now. Past Bikes: XL650V XL1000V (Dero)

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 12:32:52 pm »
REg, I like your ATTGATT principle, I use it every single ride of my life now, ever.

I mean, if its to go to gym 3km's down the road, I do it. Its a huge step up from when I had my Dakar, and I think its best.

My gear doesnt change in terms of riding clothes, its the same old day in and out. I have two jackets to wear though and if its cold, I take the full cordura one. However, most days and nights in summer (its 34deg C today), I have a fully armoured mesh jacket. Very lekker.

But the boots and riding pants are hot man. I always wear a t shirt and shorts underneath, so I strip the minute I get into the office. ONe benefit of being self employed with no clients. dress as you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps: I commute, every single living breathing day of my life.

Choose not to have a car, though a car would be cheaper for me.
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline Reg

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Failure is not an option.
    • GDI
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 12:57:56 pm »
Hi

Forgot to mention ear plugs, I also use two jackets, but I carry a drymac when I use my mesh jacket. If I run late and the temperature drops, I put the drymac on under my jacket. (Helps for a light drizzle as well.)

When I was in JHB I used a balaclava during the winter, my nut used to freeze, I also envied the guys with heated grips, winter gloves or not, when you get to your destination, one has to pry your hands off the handle bars as they have frozen to the grips. (At least I wont have that problem any more, being in Durbs and all.

I don't have proper boots, just my 'cats', that?s why I have to use ?over boots? when it rains. (Purchased in Germany, don't know if you can get them in SA)

I agree about the cost, biking is more expensive than a car, but worth every cent.  I have both, the only time I need my car is when I need to play taxi for staff members coming to visit from the JHB branch. (If the stay for more than one day, I insist that they hire a car.)
Regards

Reg

To fly is great, to hover is awesome. Ex- Helicopter Pilot.. for now. Past Bikes: XL650V XL1000V (Dero)

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 01:40:43 pm »
I have a roundtrip of 70km everyday into central London which I do come rain or shine, or even snow on the odd occasion. Not always fun, but I save a minimum of an hour a day and it means I get to see my son before he goes to bed. Maverick's got some pics of our commute which he took when I gave him a lift one day. Hopefully he can post them here. I tried to get the link from the other site but... :roll:
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

shark_za

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 01:43:21 pm »
My bike is way cheaper than my car, on top of the fact that my time and sanity is something I value highly.
The bike saves me money on bullets and body disposal too.
But I still have to put the required km's on the car for tax, so I might have to do a few JHB-CT runs with the bike on a trailer.
Diving once a month at the coast is not clocking enough km's

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 05:01:14 pm »
I ride my DRZ almost everyday, like Macduff it's my only transport. Ok no not true I have a Vespa as well which I ride often. Good to see so many ds riders commute with their bikes. Superbike riders tend to ride only on weekends if it's nice outside. Must say can't blame them as I has a VFR 400 and it killed my wrists, not comfortable at all.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline mango

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 08:53:06 pm »
Unfortunately it's a weekend thing for me, as I get a lift with
someone I work with who has a company car, so petrol is paid
for......I will probably be taking the bike on the odd days to work

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 12:00:12 pm »
Been commuting by bike for a very long time now and just the wife owns a car. I think trying to commute into London by car is completely senseless and very expensive. The moment you go into the congestion zone it is an additional ?£5 a day and parking ain't exactly cheap.

What I do miss is a lekker bakkie now and again when you move stuff or want to pick up a stranded buddie :lol:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.