Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pillion or not  (Read 1580 times)

Offline MegaPix

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
    • Kobus Schoeman Photography
Re: Pillion or not
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 10:07:50 pm »
Nice one Jean

I have a little 200 so having a pillion wont work with my weight already :imaposer:
Kobus Schoeman
www.mega-pix.co.za/blog
www.ksphoto.co.za
Bryanston, Sandton 
Bike:  First ever - Big Boy 200  XTG, KLR 650, latest buy... Suzuki DL650 V Strom

Offline K-9

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 02:32:08 pm »
nothing beats a fantastic long journey alone, except riding two up for the same distance AND there is somebody to share the ride again around the camp fire and cuddle up at night.  and they make fantastic back warmers, nothing beats a cuddly pillion on a cold ride.

I am lucky my wife often comes with and she is equally happy for me to travel alone.

we talk more on the bike than off the bike.   and a second pair of eyes is great to have when riding through the Transkei, it is great for safety reasons.

the new GSA1200 LC is made for two up long distance travels.
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 02:40:39 pm »
My wife rides with me when we get the chance.
I recently completed a 2600km dirt road only journey over 9 days to the EC with my sister's son on the back. It was worth the while and better than riding alone.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Airguitar

• The bald and the beautiful
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 08:19:26 am »
Mrs. Le Cap has two bikes of her own. No problem. Makes the choice of bikes easier too :thumleft:

I also like the safety aspect. Not likely to break or crash two bikes simultaneously.

I'm inclined to agree, especially in South African riding conditions.
I lived in Germany for 10 years and my wife and daughters were regular pillion riders, however riding there is a different experience. Everyone obeys the rules, nobody takes chances, making traffic predictable and safe, even in rain or snow.

Back in SA now I'm shopping for a XR125 for Mrs and Daughter to start learning. They love riding and it's time to get them started.
1988 XR600R, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Volvo XC90. Yes I drive a Volvo. No, I don't care what you think.

Offline Duster

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 05:53:09 pm »
Ek en Stoffies ry meeste van die tyd saam, en sy geniet dit net so baie soos ek.  Het ook al baie 1000de kilos saam afgelê, en gaan weer Okt Malawi toe met ons bike!!
"Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live!"   (Vittorio Alfieri)

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »
Ek en Stoffies ry meeste van die tyd saam, en sy geniet dit net so baie soos ek.  Het ook al baie 1000de kilos saam afgelê, en gaan weer Okt Malawi toe met ons bike!!

:thumleft:  My wederheld gaat ook orals saam.  Wie sal dan nou help om die bike op te tel wanneer ek val.     :biggrin:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Man from Nam

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 09:55:13 pm »
My vrou ry ook altyd saam en ek moet bieg ek geniet dit baie meer as om alleen te ry, en soos Vis arend se iemand moet help as die swaar fiets kantel :imaposer:
Duster ek beny julle trippie Malawi toe , dit is defenitief ook my volgende lang toer.
Life is great LIVE IT!!

Offline Alpine Al

• You dont stop playin 'cause you get old, you get old 'cause you stop playin.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If life throws you lemons reach for the tequila!!
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 04:43:08 pm »
2 up and loaded where ever the road takes us.  I have no choice, when the bike starts, it's loaded and my wife is waiting.   :patch: 
Haar gat jeuk meer as myne.   :biggrin:

I call that Jack-Russel Syndrome!   :peepwall:

Yep, that's my wife too, but prefers to stay in her box in bad weather.
I did about 13000km out of a total of 22000 km last year with her on the back. Namibia sand roads and up realy steep rocky areas are the only places I wished she had her own bike (or stayed in her box).
Bought her a BMW F650 a while ago but kept worrying about her and having to wait for her because the little 650 was hanging its tounge out most of the time and I would often have to take easier and more boring routes. I made a decission and the 650 was sold. I suppose it also depends on what riding you do and your wife's riding skills and age, at 50 I dont think ladies are meant to be falling and crashing to learn the muscle memory we accumulated many years ago. Different story when she's like Rika Debruin (whom I rode with on a Country Trax course at Amersfoort recently), she handles her KTM 990 like she was born on it.
Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!!

Offline Alpine Al

• You dont stop playin 'cause you get old, you get old 'cause you stop playin.
  • If life throws you lemons reach for the tequila!!
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 04:51:25 pm »
Enjoying a bit of Africa.
Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 09:54:21 am »
This is the story of Jean and René the author.
One easy Sunday morning lying in bed reading my book Jean turns to me out of the blue and remarks"I wan't my own bike" "WHAT ?" Ja, Okay, knowing that this phase will pass. Damn-well didn't. :o
Jean, the pillion, and I have been on a bike for more than 30 years and we have travelled many many kilo's, Western and Eastern Cape, Free State,the Transvaal and Namibia.  And now at 65 Jean wants her own bike !! What's wrong with this woman, and they talk about male menopause !!
Well 2 weeks later this remark comes up again "where's my bike ?" " What are you talking about you don't even have a licence" I reply. Soo wragtig  out she goes and get's her learners licence. O well let's see what available in the market. Now I'm thinking, nothing too powerful you understand, a 250cc Tornado or something similar, this chick needs to learn this new art of riding. Soo Honda provide the ideal tool and delivered this new machine with lowered suspension. Lekker little bike.
I was not going to teach Jean to ride, Will you teach your wife to drive, no speaks and possible divorce would be on the cards, I have too much invested in this woman. So off we go to Billy de Beer for a few lessons and Jean is doing well. A few training days at Killarney race track (it's a funny thing, watching this little 250 coming down the main straight with Marie biscuit thin tyres, 1200's R 1's etc. passing her as though she was going backwards. it was a total hoot.) plus a few BMW club (special permission) off road training days and this girl is now ready for her licence. It does nor pay to be too confident. Another appointment and she eventually produces the card that gives her permission to ride now at the age of 66.   
So now the Honda has about 4500km's on the clock and something bigger will fit the bill, along comes the first 650 BMW, much easier to ride,blah,blah etc. So one day we stroll into Donfords and there she is, the 650, white with red seat etc, the rest is history.
This "new" bike has now done 10K and needs a service, off to Donfords and Jean is handed a 650 twin to return home on. 
I arrive home from work and here is this woman waiting for me in the driveway, this is not normal. Hey Doll you need to ride this bike, it's so smooth and blah blah blah, for 2 damn weeks I've got to hear about this bike. GAT VOL I say " get hold of Neil and do a deal, I wan't nothing to do with this, but don't get the 650 twin, go for the 700" and again history repeats itself. Jean is now a VERY happy chick and as most men will know when the girl of the house is contented every thing at home is good. 8)
My opinion, That 700 is a brilliant bike handles well, got all the electronic gadgets as well. ABS and heated grips would have been fine for me.
And you can  bet your life, I am so proud of my best friend and partner.  :)

I don't blame her. I thought the 800 to be superior to the 700, but what a blast to ride! The 700 is so mooth, quick and loads of fun. With a high screen it is an excellent buy at a very good price.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 09:57:16 am »
We had our first off in sand. In retrospect I should have attempted the patch alone first, but we were doing the right things - stand up, look up, open up. If only I did not look at the swerving tracks of the bakkie that struggled through before me...

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 10:24:49 am »
Jy't hom mooi gehou tot op daai punt.     :lol8:
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 10:26:54 am »
Dankie Vis Arend. Jy is so ondersteunend vanoggend ;)

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 12:54:09 pm »
Dankie Vis Arend. Jy is so ondersteunend vanoggend ;)

:laughing4:  Sorry, maar ek ken daai gevoel.

Hier het ons ook geval toe ek afkyk na die kar spore in plaas van daar doer in die verte.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 05:06:52 pm »
Yip - dit gebeur met die beste van families☺

Offline Jondu

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 09:22:46 pm »
Mev ry oral saam, maar wil nie kamp nie.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Pillion or not
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 10:16:08 pm »
Het die afgelope naweek dieselfde dik sand gehad in Mosambiek. Mev se naels sit steeds in my sy vas. Gelukkig het ons bo gebly, maar dit was twee keer amper "oh shit"!

Offline Noneking

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 11:14:24 pm »
Het die afgelope naweek dieselfde dik sand gehad in Mosambiek. Mev se naels sit steeds in my sy vas. Gelukkig het ons bo gebly, maar dit was twee keer amper "oh shit"!
Baie belangrik om hierdie post in konteks te lees....😜 kon uit ń Loslyf kolom kom??
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline poenerhoes

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2014, 01:37:42 pm »
as die wiel draai is LOOPRING op, sy val en staan weer op , sy reen nat en word weer droog, maar sy geniet dit net soveel soos ek, ons geniet die bike tye want dis ons kuier tyd
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose....

Offline nielvn

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2014, 02:08:57 pm »
Wife will get on the back if it is smooth riding, dirt highways or tar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk