KLIPPLAAT SLEEPOVER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vis Arend

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
I saw on planning a ride that the Kirkwood dogs were planning a sleepover at Klipplaat and decided to join in the fun.
They would all ride together from Kirkwood, but that was too far out of my way and we decided to do our own ride to the venue from King William’s Town.

The route was planned and as per usual, we left early morning.  The route would roughly be from King William’s Town through Double Drift Game reserve, Andries Vosloo Kudu Reserve, Sam Knott reserve, Kwande Private Nature reserve, a couple of zig zag roads to the R400 and then to Jansenville and then finally to Klipplaat.  Distance for the day is 457km.  The weather prediction was a bright and sunny day with temperatures reaching into the low 30’s.
Map attached of the route.

30kays later we left the black stuff behind and we were on the gravel.

On route towards Double drift.

Some info on Double drift Nature Reserve.
“Sprawling over 23000 ha of dense, pristine valley bushveld, and hosting abundant wildlife as well as the convergence of the Great Fish River and the Kat River, Double Drift Game Reserve is the perfect wilderness retreat.  The reserve has been linked to the adjoining Andries Vosloo Kudu Reserve and the Sam Knott Nature Reserve to form the scenically magnificent Great Fish River Reserve Complex
The goal of Double Drift is to conserve the environment, to provide economic stimulus to the local community, and to provide visitors with unique and ecologically sustainable wildlife experiences.”

This friendly guy booked us into the reserve and it was smiles all over.

Some scenery towards the lookout point over the Fish River.

The lookout point.

We saw an abundance of wildlife which included baboons, blesbok, bontebok, bushpigs, duikers, kudus, ostriches, waterbuck and some zebras.
Some more scenery of the reserve.

The Great Fish River crossing at the bottom of Double Drift.

After I dropped wifey at the other end I went back for some action phodies.