Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How capable is a Royal Enfield...?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: How capable is a Royal Enfield...?
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 09:54:47 am »
The bikes will be used for patrol riding. I think that the RE is a much tougher option as everything is made out of steel and there are no plastic components. Also comes in the right color option already too

:thumleft:

But if they are a very strict on the 175cc requirement, it may be good to have that option available as well.

Indeed.
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 09:55:09 am »
Looks good  ;D
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Gene

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 10:01:02 am »
Saw a couple on two Royal enfields ,loaded - in Nam. sometime back, they were travelling  from Germany to Cape town and back again, no problems encountered up to Nam. they did dirt roads a lot through Africa.
They must have been 500cc - My 2c

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 10:05:49 am »
 ;D
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 10:35:17 am »
Hyosung is the most developed bike of the lot. If I see the picture you taliking of, the need something like thr XRs you toppies used on the border.

Who ever you doing this for obviously wants something to be replaced every year or two.
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Race Dog
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:12 am »
Hyosung is the most developed bike of the lot. If I see the picture you taliking of, the need something like thr XRs you toppies used on the border.

Who ever you doing this for obviously wants something to be replaced every year or two.

Welcome to international politics...  :deal:
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 11:27:21 am »
Your thread seems to have opened up a can of worms...ha ha
If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.

Offline Crab

Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline ZooDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • ride everything hard
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 01:00:00 pm »
i have always love the look and that adventure type idea they give you with the royal enfield
TIA. this is africa

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Race Dog
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 01:22:57 pm »
I'm starting to like them too. Even Triumph's range of Scrambler, Bonneville, etc. are all nice. Love them.

Offline veldskoen

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 03:40:03 pm »
Glad you said love and not like a scrambler!
Every day a little Pease of you turns into shit, whether you like it or not!

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Race Dog
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2013, 04:01:11 pm »
Glad you said love and not like a scrambler!

:love7: a Triumph Scrambler...

Is dit beter???

Offline briv

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2013, 04:07:02 pm »
http://himalayamotorbiketour.wordpress.com/

Read about Fanie's escapades on these bikes  :thumleft:
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
Yamaha AG 100. Honda XR200. Yamaha XS11.  KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Race Dog
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2013, 04:09:50 pm »
Thanks briv

Offline steveindar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Eish!
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 04:11:25 pm »
Will you be offering orthopedic services to the end users if you go the Enfield route??

In all honesty I think your farting against thunder as so many have explained. I have travelled extensively throughout east africa and Jap or Chinese is the way to go. Who will know how to fix those indian lumps in the desert. Besides they don't go fast enough to get up on the 'step'.
COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Race Dog
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »
Will you be offering orthopedic services to the end users if you go the Enfield route??

In all honesty I think your farting against thunder as so many have explained. I have travelled extensively throughout east africa and Jap or Chinese is the way to go. Who will know how to fix those indian lumps in the desert. Besides they don't go fast enough to get up on the 'step'.

As said before, Jap and Chinese NOT accepted... :deal:

Offline Pullaway

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:14 pm »
To me the Royal Enfield is more of a retro-poser bike. The Bajaj, although a bit boring is the right tool for the job. In Africa one often see people on 125 Chinese bikes, I just think the Bajaj 180 Pulsar can do it better.
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline Vlakhaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:51 pm »
Ons polisie in Nam het dieselfde roete gevolg met voertuig verskaffers.

Toe al die voertuie wat die "bose koloniale" hier gelos het nou heel in hulle peetjie in was koop hulle toe Mahindra's. Dis soos 'n 1965 CJ4 jeep, net baie kakker. Die goed kon nie tagtig haal nie, en dan whine sy gearbox soos 'n '56 Bedford  

Toe besluit een amptenaar die regte ding is Amerikaans V8 Chev bakkies. Tot 'n fabriek opgesit om die linkerhand na regterhand ombouing te doen. Al probleem is, ons petrol pompe is te ver uit mekaar hier vir daai goed, hulle pas nie in 'n parkeerplek nie en dink jouself in hoe bestuur 'n derde wereld land konstabel waar die polisie kan maak wat hulle wil 'n V8. Die wat nie in 2 maande afgeskryf is nie, was net nog op hulle wiele oordat hulle stukkend was en nie kon ry nie.

Nou ry hulle Toyota.

Verkoop nou 'n Enfield aan jou klient, en oor 'n jaar 'n hele besending Yamaha's. Win win  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Phacochoerus

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2013, 06:22:34 pm »
I have a Royal Enfield and have not experienced any problems in 8000kms and find the quality of finish, paint work to finish on the engine cases, excellent. I have fitted DS (Michelin Siroccos) and bomb along on the dirt highways around the Garden Route. I have fitted a riders seat for my wife and it rides better than my GS on comfort. If you accept it for what it is and you have the time you can go any distance. The maintenance on the bike is negligible (hydraulically adjusted valves and a simple oil change every 6000 kms). The chain does not stretch, not enough power. But you need more than one spanner in the toolbox and this would not be my only bike.
But remember, please, the Law by which we live,
We are not built to comprehend a lie,
We can neither love nor pity nor forgive..
If you make a slip in handling us you die!
Rudyard Kipling - The secret of machines

Offline Lem

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2013, 08:09:28 am »
To me the Royal Enfield is more of a retro-poser bike. The Bajaj, although a bit boring is the right tool for the job. In Africa one often see people on 125 Chinese bikes, I just think the Bajaj 180 Pulsar can do it better.

+1

Although I really love the Enfield, and might own one soon, for this application I think the lighter, smaller, more economical Bajaj range will do the trick. Bajaj also has a cheaper version, I think 125cc and called the Boxer, that is also based on the old Honda CG125 design. To keep it running in Africa, I believe that lots of Chinese CG125 copies will have some interchangeble parts. I have never heard anything bad from the Bajaj range. They are made in a 3rd world country, for 3rd word conditions.
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future