Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Not a rider yet and in dire need of advice!  (Read 1788 times)

Offline T Rex

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Not a rider yet and in dire need of advice!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 09:05:06 pm »
My first thought was the GS 800 , however ....

The fact that you are totally new says  ....NO!

Go for an KLR , will serve your purpose ..... For now!

I had a BMW Dakar .... Sereato now ........ for 8 years, only sold it because of the fact that it takes a bit of strain on the long runs with pillion and luggage.

In the long term , if you want to pillion with luggage the 800 would suffice but the 1200 GS is better. It is actually an easier bike to ride than the 800 IMHO.

Offline Tito

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Alias .....Paul Rotorookies
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 09:41:24 pm »
You and your girl take a ride up to JHB, and I will teach you to ride properly in one day, we supply the bikes, helmets and you don't need a learners licence, then you will have the ability to ride the bikes everyone's talking about and decide for your self.. The days of being self taught are not necessary any more, I will teach you more in one lesson than you will teach yourself in a year of riding. Not to mention saving you the Pain & Suffering ...
So sure of my training that if after you complete it and you don't agree with me I will give you it for Free.....
Regards Paul Rotorookies motorcycle training ..... Face Book Rotorookies Paul Fawkes... 0824471407...
Other than that start on a small bike, a small mistake on a small bike is still  a smallish mistake ,but on a big bike, Eish !!!!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:17:12 pm by Tito »
Ride it like you stole it  !!!!!! If your Afraid of Death Your Afraid of Life, Only the Rocks Live Forever !!!!!!

Offline Charlie Brown

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 09:55:44 pm »
Wow, awesome replies guys thank you.

Ok I did take the point that I could get a smaller bike first and try the ropes on it, seeing that I am tall though what would be a less awkward bike for me if I do go that route? Btw I did not mention it but ofcourse all the practice will be done without the missus on the back, I think she wont be able to resist learning herself as well, so it will definately be a turn based scenario if you ask me!
The only thing is now, it will kind of be a big dedication to start out with because we are still young and well, it will be a big investment for us, that is why i though that if we start now we should atleast get a kind of capable bike that would last us some good time. As for classes I would be more than willing to take them but i seriously doubt there is a place even close that will be offering them, maybe Kimberley, will have to do some googling regarding that one.
So yeah I am getting some mixed feelings regarding what to do, some are ok with the bigger bikes and personally I think the biggest I will go will be the 660 for starters, I just don't want to end up hurting myself with it, and to be honest I did sit on a few smaller bikes (never rode them) and me with my lenght and long legs it just felt awkward and falling off on the first turn just felt inevitable, so yeah physically I need a bigger bike, not just engine wise.

More comments and advice will be much more appreciated.
PS. Having an in-house doctor on stand by just tips my nerves off the edge, yeah I know it comes with their risks but I will rather be riding slowly than falling and breaking things like I have seen happens in the injury thread. So yeah that is still a fact that I am chewing on, the risk of serious injury and if it is worth it.

Regards:

Relax, they are referring to a bike doctor........not a people doctor.............I think  ??? ???.........I hope  :eek7: :eek7:..................aargh farkit, just enjoy the riding, but be warned,....once the gogga bites and it gets in your blood, you will always want to ride bikes. There are quite a few of us "old ballies" here on this forum.

Offline hugh101

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:07 pm »
I was in the same position as you a few months ago, got my learners, never rode a bike in my life before, spoke to a friend of mine, he suggested I get a bmw Gs650.I found a gem 2006 with 17000 km for R45k.I bought it, friend rode it home for me.A few days later i figured out the controls, and in the last 4 months i have done close to 7000km riding(commuting and long-distance and gravel). The gs is seriously easy to ride and very forgiving on a newbie. It is lightweight when it come to handling, good power/weight (i am 120kg), very forgiving gearing with good torque, i cannot comment on the pillion riding.When i grow up i will get me a 1200gs! :biggrin: :ricky:
"a wise man has money in his head but not in his heart"-Johnathan Swift
Bmw 1150 GSA
Bmw  RnineT
Honda CTX 200 bushlander "bosbulletjie" sold
F 650 gs

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 10:28:11 pm »
Maybe what you should do is what we did when we started: After much consideration we went for two 250's (In our case XR 250's), both were 2nd hand bikes and we started out on those. Now we both ride bigger bikes but its MUCH easier to learn how to ride dirt on smaller bikes. Fun too. You could probably get two small bikes given your price constraints as well. One of our best holidays was to take the bikes on a trailer around South Africa riding them in all kinds of interesting places.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 12:42:59 am »
I got my first bike over year ago and it was a 1200GS, I did learn to ride on a 650GS for a few months but it really felt wrong for me and I am glad I had the opportunity to do that so I could realize a small bike would not suit me or what I wanted to do. I am 198cm and weigh 100kg and wanted to do the long distance tours on road and gravel. I test road every bike under the sun and liked the 1200 the most. Being so tall I had a great advantage over my sister who at around the same time got herself a 800GS (which is taller), but by the same token we have both now done some really interesting riding with both these bikes and managed to get through everything we tried. I have even taken my 1200GS to parts of de Wildt and Maraisburg and managed to get through although quite tiring. I love the fact that a can ride all day on my 1200GS with luggage at 140+ k/hr and still do some rough off roads.

For you I would really suggest a 800GS or the like (maybe KTM 990, Triumph, etc.) It will require some practice at first, riding just one-up but soon you will be confident to ride two-up long distance and do gravel. If you want to do two-up riding I would be sceptical about using a bike less than 800cc especially with luggage. I can't deny it will be easier the learn to ride on a smaller bike but then again what in life is easy. Oh and how ridiculous do you look on a 650, I know I did with my long ass legs.

lastly when you both decide to get your own bikes each then you already have your first really nice bike, then you just need to get a smaller 650 for the other half.
+100000 for good safe gear, GOOD helmet, neck brace, proper boots, pants and jacket.

Not matter what bike you get go ride it and enjoy - and welcome
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 04:06:24 am »
I weigh 94Kg and my Girlfriend about 50kg's.

Onthou om op jou elmboe te druk.
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Piet

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 06:18:20 am »

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Lommies

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • aka Arsène Lupin
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 06:47:26 am »

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Ja-nee dis die beste advies wat jy tot nou toe hier gekry het.. >:D
Post maar eerder fotos van julle tweetjies, dan sal ons die "regte" bike vir julle match

Offline J-dog

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:20 am »
I haven't read the the replies carefully, but they seem to generally be on the right track.

HOWEVER, could I make a suggestion?

Borrow a bike like a dakar or something, and go for a weekend trip in your area with an experienced buddy who rides DS bikes, or a group of buddies.

Chew the cud during the trip and talk about bikes, gear, riding, pillions etc, and also get a feel for what it's like to ride the back roads on a bike.

Then you will start to form a picture of what the lifestyle is about and what you want to get out of it and your bike.

If they are experienced DS riders, they will be a gold mine of information and also give you a feel for the "soul" of DS riding.

Perhaps hook up with some dogs in your area for your "test voyage"

Just my 2 cents  8)

Offline Draadtang

• Pack Dog
  • KTM 950,KTM 450 SX,KTM 300 EXC
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 07:03:46 am »
Buy a 800gs from the start,the 650,s will be a frustration to ride with luggage and a pillion and not to say that when you need to over take a truck on the tarmac.The worst of the 650,s fully loaded and pillion is when you get the wind from the front :deal:
In the spirit of adventure,open to all riders and carrying a massage of friendship between all men(Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the PARIS DAKAR)
Born in the 70,s grew up in the 80,s & got drunk in the 90,s

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 07:10:51 am »
hi there
 you have read a lot of opinions here some good some bad. I have been riding since I was really young on obviously small mx bikes until I was 16 then stopped. started at 25 again and on a big bike, an Africa twin. I am not a good rider but I have many years of experience of riding various bikes. so take my advise or not. what I have noticed is you will get the same advise from people with the same experience. the okes/ladies that have been riding for years will tell you to get something small. the okes/ladies with short term experience will tell you o stuff that and get something big. who will you trust someone with lots of experience or someone with less experience???

small bikes can do everything a big bike can do only slower.
small bikes will give you confidence to learn quicker.
small bikes are loads of fun. you fall slower so chances of living is a lot higher.
you CAN pillion on a small bike. just slower
you can buy 2 x 250 bikes for the price of 1 x 650
you wouldn't really loose much money when selling it in a few years time.
your missus might kick your arse if you ride together on small bikes. you ll be both learning freedom together safer.

big bikes are faster and heavier which makes it awesome
big bikes will intimidate you and you will learn slower.
being scared of your bike wont help.
brcause the bike is faster you will push it. don't lie to yourself it is fun to go fast no matter what you say.
because bike bikes are faster and heavier your crashes can break your confidence or your body or kill you.

like many boys and girls here I have a big ktm. it is awesome. I also have a small dr250 which I ride and have done long trips with. it is sooo much fun riding the small bike.

big bike is adrenaline, speed, less safe and its your EGO
small bike is safer, easier, more capable, and its awesome. you can get 2.

I have seen many people ride big bikes with experience crash and seriously injure themselves. I still think most of the time many of those crashes could of been avoided if their egos where not their bosses and they rode smaller bikes faster. not bigger bikes slower.  

so please make a good safe choice. take it or leave it

Offline Vlakhaas

• Race Dog
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 07:20:42 am »
Welcome to the forum!

Your budget will allow for two nice KLR's + kit. Get the wife her own. Pillion on gravel in not the best idea to cut your teeth on. Your main concern should be you and your wife's safety, not trying to buy a bike now that will last you 20 years. A KLR is not pretty, but there is a good reason why their owners are fanatical about them!

If you go the one bike route, the 660 Tenere is a very capably, easy to ride and forgiving bike. The old 650 Dakar is a gem, for you or the wife. IMHO the best DS BMW ever built. BMW's are expensive to crash and KTM's are nasty to maintain and make you go a lot faster than you actually safely can.

Stay away from KTM 990's and the likes for now. They stroke the ego, and then they bite.

Buy a affordable bike and the best kit you can, including for the wife.

Do a course, AND HAVE FUN!

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 08:07:37 am »
hi there
 you have read a lot of opinions here some good some bad. I have been riding since I was really young on obviously small mx bikes until I was 16 then stopped. started at 25 again and on a big bike, an Africa twin. I am not a good rider but I have many years of experience of riding various bikes. so take my advise or not. what I have noticed is you will get the same advise from people with the same experience. the okes/ladies that have been riding for years will tell you to get something small. the okes/ladies with short term experience will tell you o stuff that and get something big. who will you trust someone with lots of experience or someone with less experience???

small bikes are loads of fun. you fall slower so chances of living is a lot higher.
your missus might kick your arse if you ride together on small bikes. you ll be both learning freedom together safer.

brcause the bike is faster you will push it. don't lie to yourself it is fun to go fast no matter what you say.
because bike bikes are faster and heavier your crashes can break your confidence or your body or kill you.

like many boys and girls here I have a big ktm. it is awesome. I also have a small dr250 which I ride and have done long trips with. it is sooo much fun riding the small bike.

I have seen many people ride big bikes with experience crash and seriously injure themselves. I still think most of the time many of those crashes could of been avoided if their egos where not their bosses and they rode smaller bikes faster. not bigger bikes slower.  

Good advice
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline Zh3nK

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 08:24:23 am »
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies,

Ok I get it now and also think that a smaller bike will be better, I mean learning together with my better half will be just as great fun hey?  My question now is, which one is the best to go for, remember my length, I am 1.99m so anything small will be very awkward and make me look really ridiculous haha, I actually think just buying one bike and then taking turns with the missus will be best and then spending some good money on safety kit for both of us.
Any suggestions guys? And btw, we don't own a bakkie so taking the bike to practice areas will be a hassle if we wont be able to ride it to where we want to be.

Regards:

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 08:25:50 am »
There is no right choice

Buy the bike that your heart tells you to.

If you don't like it, sell it and buy something else.

But I agree 100% with Tour that if you have limited riding experience, get something small first. You will live longer that way.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline bud500

• Grey hound
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 08:42:54 am »
Some good advice here. To me that Yammie 660 is the bike for you. In my opinion it is no use buying a fugly bike you don't like staring at late at night in the garage. As others said, remember to budget for both rider's kit.

If you have patience as you said, and you take it slow you can learn to ride on almost anything. Shit, some of my first experiences as a 14 year old was on a XT600 with bent bars and frame on buckled rims shod with road tyres in sand. Nobody would recommend it but it worked..

Slow and steady, maybe with advice and encouragement from an understanding friend will see you through.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 08:44:05 am »
I have to agree with Fuzzy... an Alp is a great bike, and not too expensive either.

I ride a 650 'Alp and my missus and I have done 2 long (4500 to 5000 km) trips, and the bike handled / performed well.

Also, take the time to look at Trailrider's blog
 It should give you an idea of the Transalp's capabilities.

At the end of the day, it's your decision. Good luck with your choice.
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Lem

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 08:50:12 am »
Koop vir julle albei ordentlike kit, en dan 'n gemaklike bike met die res van die budget. Trust me, ek het al paar beserings al deurgemaak. Goeie kit het my lewe gered.

Ek stem saam met Fuzzy oor die Transalp. Uitstekende, betroubare en sterk genoeg bike (650 V-twin) om mee te begin, en mee te lift. Indien jy na so iets wil kyk, kyk ook na die Suzuki V-strom.

Jy kannie fout gaan met n Dakar of die Yammie 660 Tenere nie. Beide is betroubare singles.

Daars natuurlik 'n pragtige Africa Twin te koop op die forum. Hiers manne op die forum wie groot trips al two up met hulle gedoen het.

Met jou lengte hoef jy nie gepla te wees oor die grootte of gewig van die bike nie. Solank hulle regop is weeg hulle niks nie. My eerste bike sedert 9 jaar riding absence was n BMW 1150 GSA.  As die gogga julle albei gaan byt sal jou meisie op niks anders/kleiners wil saamry as daai groot dualies nie, en dan gaan julle ook nie noodwendig te technical terrein ry nie.  

Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 09:21:03 am »
hi there

+ 1000.. good advice, but there is one point where you talk kak in your second line 'I am not a good rider' go pull the wool over someone elses eyes  :laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0