Not a rider yet and in dire need of advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi guys,

So I introduced myself and seeing that this is the biggest forum of adventure bikers in the country I bet the best advice would be from the members here, here goes:

First of all I do not own a motorcycle as of yet but after some discussions with my girlfriend we kind of decided that this would be an amazing hobby for the weekend seeing that we love the outdoors and nature reserves and especially the "grondpaaie" close by seeing that we are staying in Kuruman in the Northern Cape, in short our options for great trips close by are endless.

Now here is the catch, I have ridden a motorcycle in my life maybe twice and never ever serious, I know this might sound silly but I am really into this idea and its equally shared by my better half!

Now here are some requirements:

- Budget of R75k max for a bike.
- Must be a good and forgiving (learner) bike.
- Must be able to carry me and my girl without hassle seeing that we want to make it a couple thing.
- We want to start out with the machine that we will be using for some time to come, I see no use really in buying one now and then replacing it early on because it is not what we are looking for ( its a total loss money wise and we are still a bit tight on budget )
- Good carrying capabilities for the clothes etc etc and gear.

Points of note:
I am really not one for adrenaline and just want a good bike that will take us where we want to go which will only include tarmac to get to the more gravel roads and destination in the end.
I am very patient at learning something and after looking at you're injury threads I bet i would be kak scared of trying to be cocky at all, damn I might even just drive around the house to get a feeling for it for months if that is what it takes.  

The dream in the end is of course for me and my future wife to get our own bikes each, but as of now we want to explore the beautiful part of the country we are situated in with a motorcycle that we both can enjoy and be transported by for the experience.

Bikes I took a look at and caught my interest are:
BMW F800gs
BMW G650Gs Sertao
Yamaha XT660z Tenere

I would be more comfortable with the 650 and 660 but I am looking at the 800 for its better carrying capabilities and pillion.

Please do not hesitate to call me on it if this is a stupid idea and we are bored or something but we are really adventurous and enjoy nature together, and a Bakkie is really mainstream.

PS: Forgot a few things, I am really tall 1.99m, and info for pillion I weigh 94Kg and my Girlfriend about 50kg's.

Kind Regards: