The Alternative Route (Jan//Feb/June)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
I am scouting out new routes to ride.I have found roads that havnt been driven on for years.Today we found and rode on another such road.

Mountain Boy met me(XT660R) in Bothasig at 07h30.
Today we were looking at a route from Kanonskop (Near Malmsbury) to Moorreesberg.

We drove in rain drizzle occationly and a little wind,but nothing too hecktic.
So by tar to Malmsbury,where we had to stop so Mountain Boy could have his "FIX".(Red Bull)Too little sleep the night before.(Thats proberbly why his Girlfriend is always smiling)

Anyway ,we took the turn off to Kannonskop and headed North on a very bad condition road,The ruts didnt go across the road,they went down the road.
There was Sand,Grass,Trees,Bush and BUSH. We had to open 3 sets of farm gates.

We came to a Railway Repair Truck that had burnt out next to the railway line.It looked very expensive !!!I wonder if Spoornet even knows ?

On to a Railway siding that time has forgotten ,Rust.Huge Grain sillo`s.Harvest was only a month ago.But they looked very unused.

Shortly befor we made Moorreesberg,we came down a steep hill and at the bottom was a mass of 2.5m high reeds and bush.I dismounted and walked into the reeds to see if it was ridable.It appeared to be.
I went first , had to close my visor to protect my eyes,I made it through, but with most of the bush attached  to my bike.It even to off my headlight protector.
When Mountan Boy came through,you could hear the bike and see the reeds moving , but not see Shameel.

Anyway , around the corner a nice surprise awaited us.We approached yet another gate and I got off to open it,MMMMM a big fat padlock.

And the section that the railway line passed through the fence,there were fences on the ground to prevent live stock getting out( And bikes).
So we agreed, we not going back, We rode our bikes front wheel over the first track and we lifted the back wheels over the line.It wasnt as bad as it looked.
Pitty my side stand doest double up as a bolt cutter(thats an idea! )

Moorreesberg on a Sunday. no coffee,no resturant.Anyway we came back via Darling then tar home.
A very challenging ride , but very scenic.
So now we have a new piece of road to add the the other new routes.
All we need is a new rout from Cape Town to Malmsbury. I thing Droffarc needs to be involved here.

I will put up some pics in the morning at work and Mountain Boy can give you his perspective.

This is under Planning a Ride ,  so we  can make a date when all the WD are back from leave.
We still need to work out the beginning of the route.
Any suggestions ?? DROFF !!!