Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I am converted, really dig my 610 !  (Read 3094 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
I am converted, really dig my 610 !
« on: September 26, 2013, 09:20:23 pm »
After our recent trip I have to give props to the 610, the bike handled everything that came it's way. It went up rocky tracks and the suspension tracked straight and true - did what forks should do, soak up the bumps. Throw in some sand and slippery water crossings all done with semi slick knobbies ! I even managed 28 km/l riding from Tzaneen to Polokwane. The sixth gear made the tar back to Pta bearable too. If there is anything to complain about it is the seat, damn it's hard even compared to enduro bikes but that is a minor detail. It's a crying shame these bikes never got the recognition they deserve ! I have owned and ridden plenty of 450 / 500 / 650 class machines and I would easily recommend the 610 to any potential owner. Only sell if you really need to, these machines signals the end of an era  :-\
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:45:46 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: I am converted, really dig my 610 !
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:00:18 pm »
Will only believe this once you've kept this bike for longer than 12 Months
:)
I for one, believe that my CR is a keeper  :biggrin:

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »
Nice J--- ;)

Yep -- lets see how long you keep her -----

As long as you DON'T ever go back to Japanese Disposable Engineering --- ::)
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:17:56 pm »
I really like my 610.  And that's in spite of it's horrendous condition!  It goes where I point it without any fuss.  It has grunt and its top end is not too shabby either.  Ever since I became interested in DS bikes I wanted one because it ticked all the boxes for me.  I have not been disappointed.  It was a sad, sad day when they stopped making the 630.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 06:36:30 pm »
Once again realized this past weekend how capable that Husky was ! Blitzed up a pass in an hour where I took 4 on a Tenere  :o Yes it gave me lots of chance to practise my mechanical skills and the seat was hell but it remains one awesome machine. Fantastic at technical stuff while still having the legs  :thumleft:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:44:03 pm »
Nice J--- ;)

As long as you DON'T ever go back to Japanese Disposable Engineering --- ::)
:biggrin:
J.R.R Tolkien

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:01:23 pm »
Kom ons blame dit op die tyres ;)
Sou n aggressiewer voorband nie beter geklou het nie?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 07:06:45 pm »
Kom ons blame dit op die tyres ;)
Sou n aggressiewer voorband nie beter geklou het nie?
Ja kyk daai E07's was hopeloos op die klippe, Wolfskaap het D606's opgehad en dit was tonne beter. Moet wel noem dat die 610 n amper klaar knobbly ook opgehad het op daai selfde pas. My probleem is kort bene en die eksta gewig, as daai 660 gaan kan ek hom nie keer nie. Die 610 het glad nie ge bokspring nie en net n lyn gehou.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 03:08:00 pm »
Daai Tenere's is bleddie swaar. Ek was verbaas toe ek die eerste keer op een klim.

Ek is nog meer verbaas, gegewe jou gunsteling tipe ry plekke, dat jy n 660Z gekoop het of het ek iets gemis?

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 04:38:29 pm »
Reken dis dalk maar a.g.v my dat hy een gekoop het.
Ek't mos my YZ verkoop en 'n Tenere gekry.

Moet se, vir my is die Tenere die perfekte keuse, gegewe my huidige vereistes.

En ja, sy bande was useless en klip hard gepomp ook.

Met lang bene en beter bande klim die Tenere soos jy nie sal glo nie.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:43:19 pm by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 06:29:33 pm »

Ek is nog meer verbaas, gegewe jou gunsteling tipe ry plekke, dat jy n 660Z gekoop het of het ek iets gemis?
Ek ook  :biggrin: Nee probeer iets anders, dis n lekker bike maar ek is nog nie op my gemak in die rowwe dele nie. On the flip side I can get on it and ride just about anywhere on weekends, flies on normal dirt roads. I reckon a 610/630 with small screen and aftermarket seat would also be a winner.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 07:25:51 pm »

Ek ook  :biggrin: Nee probeer iets anders, dis n lekker bike maar ek is nog nie op my gemak in die rowwe dele nie. On the flip side I can get on it and ride just about anywhere on weekends, flies on normal dirt roads. I reckon a 610/630 with small screen and aftermarket seat would also be a winner.

Ek ook verbaas!? Tenere looks great but really heavy like 35kg heavier than a TE and only a 5 speed box in a sluggish engine ...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 07:42:24 pm »
One of the few bikes I liked --but after doing a trip into Lesotho With a DR 650 MY 610TE and the Tenere I was very disappointed
with its fuel consumption. With a lady rider on both the DR and the Tenere the Tenere had the worst fuel consumption of all and she lost the back brakes coming down a pass--not that I would write that off to the bike --more than likely her heavy foot constantly on the rear break. The Husky was the lightest on fuel
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 08:32:50 pm »
One of the few bikes I liked --but after doing a trip into Lesotho With a DR 650 MY 610TE and the Tenere I was very disappointed
with its fuel consumption. With a lady rider on both the DR and the Tenere the Tenere had the worst fuel consumption of all and she lost the back brakes coming down a pass--not that I would write that off to the bike --more than likely her heavy foot constantly on the rear break. The Husky was the lightest on fuel
First stretched with mixed riding I got 23 km/l which I though was quite good, the next fuel stops with some 120 / 130 km/h I only managed 17 - 18 km/l. Also a bit dissapointed with that, I also still believe that a properly tuned FCR carb will kick Fi's behind in both performance and fuel consumption  :deal:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 08:35:08 pm »
Yes mine rarely managed better than 18km\l but its still acceptable
After having owned screamers like the Yz, it's actually quite nice to ride the ultra long stroke 660. Is has more then enough power and I'd rather have better suspension, if I could choose.

I also believe that out of all the bikes, the 610 fits sidetrack the best.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:18:25 pm by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 08:39:21 pm »

Ek ook verbaas!? Tenere looks great but really heavy like 35kg heavier than a TE and only a 5 speed box in a sluggish engine ...
I do not think the engine is bad, it's got good traction and torque - overtakes with a breeze in 5th and it still makes about 50hp just like a 610 but it's carrying a bag of cement extra so it ads to the sluggish feel. I rode a XT660R once and it felt more lively maybe because of the lower weight ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 10:10:14 am »
First stretched with mixed riding I got 23 km/l which I though was quite good, the next fuel stops with some 120 / 130 km/h I only managed 17 - 18 km/l. Also a bit dissapointed with that, I also still believe that a properly tuned FCR carb will kick Fi's behind in both performance and fuel consumption  :deal:

You know my Thoughts about that Sidetrack  ::)

Carb is KING -- :thumleft:
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 10:14:29 am »
Yes mine rarely managed better than 18km\l but its still acceptable
After having owned screamers like the Yz, it's actually quite nice to ride the ultra long stroke 660. Is has more then enough power and I'd rather have better suspension, if I could choose.

I also believe that out of all the bikes, the 610 fits sidetrack the best.

I agree --a long stroke motor does grow on you and gives you more time to enjoy the nature and things you Thump past  :)
Current Scooters --

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 11:30:43 am »
When I was looking for something to replace my Dakar, I had a close look at the XTZ, even got the point that I sat on it in the show room and started making broom-broom noises  :biggrin:

But that changed very quickly when I saw the spec sheet - it was heavier than my Dakar!  :o

And I had grown to hate that Dakar, for many reasons - the weight being one of them.

So as nice as the  XTZ looked, it was a non starter for me.

People can say what they like, but a heavy bike is a heavy bike.  You cannot get away from that problem - its with you every step of the way in technical terrain.

This is especially an issue if you are a short arse like me, - without long legs you have no way of pushing it back up again when it starts going.  A heavy bike just makes that problem so much worse, and then you have to heave the bloody fat thing back upright - just a complete pain in the arse!

Even the 610 is too heavy in some situations.

So weight is the frst thing I look at from now on.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 11:57:37 am »
Yes it is very heavy!
I dropped it's weight to be in the same league as the Dakar which is still too heavy for most riders, as you've said.
Short legs are the Achilles heal to riding it in technical areas.

Fortunately, my legs are extremely long and frequenting the gym means my upper body can cope with the extra weight. The extra weight does have its place though; when doing long distance, heavy bikes are just more comfortable, and its wind protection and seat is great.

So in short, if you are tall enough and a little stronger than the average Joe, the XTZ is actually not such a bad choice, if not, you have to be careful not to end up in places where you might break either the bike or yourself.
Let the good times roll!