KLE500 Airbox breather, fuel overflow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickza

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
Firstly some background info. Went on a longish ride on dirt roads and I decided to clean the filter. Tank etc came off, washed the filter and I noticed the pipe from the inlet mainfold to the petcock was perished and had a massive hole in it, replaced it and put everything back together.

Since then if I ride the bike then park it for a day, the minute I get on it to move it, fuel drops from the airbox breather pipe. Should this pipe not have a small plug on the bottom, wouldnt it just be sucking in air? Secondly, why is it randomly now doing this? Bike starts fine, pulls as per normal. I've googled a bit and one suggestion was the carb breather pipe (the clear one) is pinched so I checked and mine was fine, rerouted it as the manual seems to show it running over the airbox not down between the carbs. The petcock is working, if I remove the tank it can sit without a single bit of fuel coming from the tap and if I apply some vaccum it'll start flowing.

I made the mistake of removing the entire airbox to have a look at what was going on and I lost about 2 hours of my life trying to get it back on. There must be some secret trick to it because it cannot be that hard. There are the two pipes on the bottom that are impossible to get to and can only really be connected when the airbox is in place (I have crash bars so maybe that made it harder) then to get the airbox over the carb inlets is a nightmare. If you apply too much pressure the rubber pieces just get pressed inside the airbox and you have to remove it all and start all over again  :xxbah: