Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New DR650 seems to have a few problems?  (Read 554 times)

Offline Munro39

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
New DR650 seems to have a few problems?
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:53:25 pm »
Hi Guys,

So I've recently gone from a Honda XR125 (my high school bike) to getting the DR (2008 model, 16500km). Always been the bike I was looking at.

As much as I already love the bike, I have noticed a few problems and they all seem to be related to the carb.

I'm not extremely clued up on engines, although I'm hoping to know this bike inside out over the next while. So here's where it starts:

I had a ride out to Moorreesburg and then on to Britannia Bay the next day. On the trip I decided to cruise at 110 after noticing a 13km/l fuel consumption at my first stop. At 110, I was getting exactly 12km/l. I'm not expecting the 30 I got from the XR, but the bike is said to get 20, so 12 is simply too expensive - And doesn't provide enough distance on the small tank.

The second issue which causes a lot of discomfort and uncertainty is that the bike dies when I roll the throttle off from speed. I tried dropping the throttle, rolling it, pulling the clutch in...and it still dies most times. The only thing that seems to work is gearing down straight away and breaking on the engine??

What I have noticed is that there is quite a sound from the discs when pushing the bike. I don't have ANY disc knowledge coming from drums on the XR, but a trusted friend says there should be a little contact at all times. How much? And how can this be checked?

I have worked on the XR engine and carb a number of times, but I'm not prepared to jump into this carb with my knowledge. All I'm looking for is a little insight into what could be causing these issues and if they've been experienced by others?

Thanks,

Neil
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:54:38 pm by Munro39 »

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
Re: New DR650 seems to have a few problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:16:00 am »
Lecap and Ganjora is your guys. Contact them.
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline DJ

• Member of the SSS
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:39:51 am »
Hi Munro39,

Welcome to the SSS. The DR650 is an awesome bike!!  :ricky:

Sounds like your brakes are worn or binding with the disk, check the guide pins and make sure they are properly cleaned and lubricated, also maybe check your brake fluid and maybe bleed the brakes.

I have a DR650 service manual in pdf format, but it's 83Mb, do you have dropbox?

I get about 20km/l, your best bet would be to take your DR to lecap, he is a DR guru and he is in the Cape.

Good luck!!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:46:33 am by DJ »
Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

Offline DJ

• Member of the SSS
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50:19 am »
You can download the manual here...

Right click on the link and "Save Link As" somewhere on your hard drive. 

http://mxrob.com/DR650_OwnersManual_96_up.pdf
Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:10 am »
Big carb problem if you only get 12km/l. Worst ever for me was 17km/l running flat out into a screaming Cape Doctor CT to Swellendam.

Does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust and has seen some "professional" carb tuning ???

If you want to bring it in I'm in Edgemead 07 doubletwo fiftynine triplezero nine
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Munro39

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:32:22 am »
Thanks for the replies and the manual, will look into the brakes if I understand it all  :).

LeCap, would definitely like to bring it in. It does have an aftermarket pipe, and I do assume that there was some shady "pro" work done.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:30:47 pm by Munro39 »