New DR650 seems to have a few problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munro39

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Hi Guys,

So I've recently gone from a Honda XR125 (my high school bike) to getting the DR (2008 model, 16500km). Always been the bike I was looking at.

As much as I already love the bike, I have noticed a few problems and they all seem to be related to the carb.

I'm not extremely clued up on engines, although I'm hoping to know this bike inside out over the next while. So here's where it starts:

I had a ride out to Moorreesburg and then on to Britannia Bay the next day. On the trip I decided to cruise at 110 after noticing a 13km/l fuel consumption at my first stop. At 110, I was getting exactly 12km/l. I'm not expecting the 30 I got from the XR, but the bike is said to get 20, so 12 is simply too expensive - And doesn't provide enough distance on the small tank.

The second issue which causes a lot of discomfort and uncertainty is that the bike dies when I roll the throttle off from speed. I tried dropping the throttle, rolling it, pulling the clutch in...and it still dies most times. The only thing that seems to work is gearing down straight away and breaking on the engine??

What I have noticed is that there is quite a sound from the discs when pushing the bike. I don't have ANY disc knowledge coming from drums on the XR, but a trusted friend says there should be a little contact at all times. How much? And how can this be checked?

I have worked on the XR engine and carb a number of times, but I'm not prepared to jump into this carb with my knowledge. All I'm looking for is a little insight into what could be causing these issues and if they've been experienced by others?

Thanks,

Neil