Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Big vs Small Bike for 3-9 Months to Kenya and back  (Read 7852 times)

Offline african dust

Re: Big vs Small Bike for 3-9 Months to Kenya and back
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »
nteresting. Will have to keep my eye out for one when I'm getting the bike ready. I quite like the dimensions and size for the rotopax 10L. Will fit nicely on the back plate of the CTX.
[/quote]

do not forget about the poortech plan of using 2lt PET bottles ( ie plastic coke bottle), slipped into a neoprene sock and if you want to be fancy enclosed in a little metal cage. As stable as most of the fuel canisters and cheap as chips. 4lts of fuel is going to give you 100km on the ctx...  if you take 4 that is 200km...nothing wrong with that. just a thought.
I will be following this thread eagerly as my ctx has been begging me to go on a walk-about..
bushlander
Ozark

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2013, 07:21:40 am »
Give us a call if and when you get to Dar!
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline LouisL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2013, 08:42:48 am »
There was a Kawasaki KLR 250 with 4500km on for R14000 on OLX the other day. That would be my choice hands down.
Triumph Tiger 800 XC, KLR 650 & 250, Cagiva 650 Raptor, Honda XL 500, Honda XR125, Yamaha TDR 180, Honda CBX, Husky 650 Terra. Honda Africa Twin 1000, Yamaha XT 1200 Super Tenere

Offline TechnomadicJim

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Honda CTX 200
    • Southern Africa on a Honda CTX 200
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 11:04:48 am »
do not forget about the poortech plan of using 2lt PET bottles ( ie plastic coke bottle), slipped into a neoprene sock and if you want to be fancy enclosed in a little metal cage. As stable as most of the fuel canisters and cheap as chips. 4lts of fuel is going to give you 100km on the ctx...  if you take 4 that is 200km...nothing wrong with that. just a thought.
I will be following this thread eagerly as my ctx has been begging me to go on a walk-about..

"poortech" heh. like it. Definitely an idea. Simple = Good.

Give us a call if and when you get to Dar!

Will do mate! Going to have to start a list of peeps I need to meet. Everyone's very friendly here :)

There was a Kawasaki KLR 250 with 4500km on for R14000 on OLX the other day. That would be my choice hands down.

Nice. I actually just bought the CTX 200 on Friday. It arrives in Cape Town next Friday. Exciting stuff! Can't wait to get it do a few mods and get going.
Live Ride Report : Southern Africa on a Honda CTX 200 // Live GPS Tracking : http://www.whereisjames.com

Offline LouisL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2013, 04:51:46 pm »
The CTX is surely a ttough & strong looking bike....that horrible thing on the front fender must however  go :peepwall:

Can't imagine if that possibly act as a crashbar/ bashplate but please please please there's no room for such a thing even in Africa.

Show us some pics! and may you have many happy miles :thumleft:
Triumph Tiger 800 XC, KLR 650 & 250, Cagiva 650 Raptor, Honda XL 500, Honda XR125, Yamaha TDR 180, Honda CBX, Husky 650 Terra. Honda Africa Twin 1000, Yamaha XT 1200 Super Tenere

Offline TechnomadicJim

• Honda CTX 200
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2013, 05:30:10 pm »
The CTX is surely a ttough & strong looking bike....that horrible thing on the front fender must however  go :peepwall:

Can't imagine if that possibly act as a crashbar/ bashplate but please please please there's no room for such a thing even in Africa.

Show us some pics! and may you have many happy miles :thumleft:

haha. Yeah I'm not a fan of the mud flap either. I'm going to try and keep it as stock as possible for when its sold but the mud flap will go and the back tyre will be changed for a dual purpose one. Will store them somewhere in cape town for when I'm done with the bike and its sold on. The crash bar's / bash plate will probably stay in the hope that they will be enough for what I want. The racking I'm real happy about as it pretty much how I want it. I particularly like the front rack for 6kgs worth of tent / mat / sleeping bag. Will distribute the weight a bit better. I'm travelling pretty light. Under 20 kgs total I reckon.

Will be posting pic's for sure :) I also have a GoPro Hero 2 and Canon SX200IS which are both capable of 720 HD video. I also have some pretty interesting camera mounts / mini-tripods. I'm going to be filming the trip as I go in the hope I can knock together a short video to show to family + friends + anyone's who's interested really.
Live Ride Report : Southern Africa on a Honda CTX 200 // Live GPS Tracking : http://www.whereisjames.com

Offline TechnomadicJim

• Honda CTX 200
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2013, 08:43:06 pm »