Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2014 Huskies drool!  (Read 1983 times)

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: 2014 Huskies drool!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 02:58:01 pm »
I share in your frustration.
At least they kept Husaberg unique for over 10 years, ranging over these models:

..and they kept them unique and exotic!
Now its as you say, "just another KTM"

:cussing:

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 03:07:11 pm »
Ok well lets do a bit of maths to see whether he got value for money.

10,000 units at say an average price of say R80k each.

That's R800 million.

But that's turnover, so lets say they make about 10% of the final retail value of a bike as realisable profit (I'd be surprised if its more because their price to a dealer will be much lower and thus their profit on that lower number will be a small proportion of the end price).

So that's R80 million per anum.

Over five years that's  R400 million.  At 13.9 to the Euro that's 28.7 million Euro.

I wonder what he paid?

If he was just buying out the competition, any more than that  and he would have been losing money on the deal.

But he does have the opportunity to also differentiate the market by building different bikes aimed at different segments of the same market - which I hope is what is happening.

But personally I dont really care too much about the brand, all I want is for someone to build a viable replacement for the 610 at not too ludicrous a price. If its branded a KTM, Husky, Husaberg who cares?

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 03:10:06 pm »
Ok well lets do a bit of maths to see whether he got value for money.

10,000 units at say an average price of say R80k each.

That's R800 million.

But that's turnover, so lets say they make about 10% of the final retail value of a bike as realisable profit (I'd be surprised if its more because their price to a dealer will be much lower and thus their profit on that lower number will be a small proportion of the end price).

So that's R80 million per anum.

Over five years that's  R400 million.  At 13.9 to the Euro that's 28.7 million Euro.

I wonder what he paid?

If he was just buying out the competition, any more than that  and he would have been losing money on the deal.

But he does have the opportunity to also differentiate the market by building different bikes aimed at different segments of the same market - which I hope is what is happening.

But personally I dont really care too much about the brand, all I want is for someone to build a viable replacement for the 610 at not too ludicrous a price. If its branded a KTM, Husky, Husaberg who cares?

If KTM just started developing and building the SE again I would forgive them for everything  ;D
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 03:45:29 pm »
Don't you think that Stefan will see that base covered by the 690 already?

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »
Don't you think that Stefan will see that base covered by the 690 already?

I suppose it all depends whether he is just buying out the competition or whether he's adding brands so that he can differentiate the market segments.

If its the former, then you are right.

If he is trying the differentiation strategy then he will want to build similar but slightly different bikes for different segments of the same market.  In that case he will give Husky a particular marketing spin vs KTM (to target the different market segments he's aiming at) and then sell different but similar bikes to each segment.  Supposedly you can make more money that way, because you cover your market base more fully and leave less opportunities for competitors to find a niche.

I also suppose it will depend on the economy.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 05:16:16 pm »
 :thumleft:

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 05:42:04 pm »
The bikes looks great but I really hope they bring us something for the dual sport crowd. Luckily with KTM now in charge it will be more 690 and less Terra Strada, or so we hope.

The new Husky are just Husabergs, and there were no dual sport Husabergs, so don't hold your breath.

I will never buy one of these new Husqvarnas :xxbah: and if KTM sells them in SA I will be even more pissed off.
I will rather spend my money on Sherco, Beta or Gas Gas  :thumleft:

As far as I heard KTM --will NOT be selling or bringing them in CMH is ---- Going to be done separately from KTM on the sales and racing side
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 05:44:43 pm »
The bikes looks great but I really hope they bring us something for the dual sport crowd. Luckily with KTM now in charge it will be more 690 and less Terra Strada, or so we hope.

The new Husky are just Husabergs, and there were no dual sport Husabergs, so don't hold your breath.

I will never buy one of these new Husqvarnas :xxbah: and if KTM sells them in SA I will be even more pissed off.

I suppose it all comes down to what the original intention was when he bought Husky from BMW.  I'm not sure what he paid, but what ever it was, it must be a lot of money just to enable him to call a Husaberg a Husky!  I dont see the advantage he gained by doing that, if thats all it was about.

I tend to agree with Blazes what you are seeing is just a temporary measure to keep things going the year after the acquisition, and the real strategy (if any) will unfold in the future.

I for one am a lot happier with Husky going back to proper dirt bikes, even if that means a leaning on Husaberg designs in the short term, than the BMW philosophy of "its a cheap road bike with some off-road capability".

Of course the key question for us is what about the DS models, will they update them?

I suppose only time will tell.

But imagine a 610 with Husaberg orientated improvements!

Aaaah someone else can see what I am seeing  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yep a full 650 will be in the cards in the future --3 to four years --
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 06:19:19 pm »

As far as I heard KTM --will NOT be selling or bringing them in CMH is ---- Going to be done separately from KTM on the sales and racing side

I hope you are right, that will at least keep the pricing competitive.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 08:19:16 pm »
Heard that CMH had to re-negotiate the Husky--Husaberg deal in SA after all the effort and hard work they put in with the BMW --- looked into getting a Husky Agency in Pretoria  ::) Have to go Through CMH and Not KTM --- So it does look like KTM --- SA Have NO say. Some KTM agents tried to get agencies I was told by one that he could not have them on the same floor  ;D ;D
Current Scooters --

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 09:27:22 am »
Heard that CMH had to re-negotiate the Husky--Husaberg deal in SA after all the effort and hard work they put in with the BMW --- looked into getting a Husky Agency in Pretoria  ::) Have to go Through CMH and Not KTM --- So it does look like KTM --- SA Have NO say. Some KTM agents tried to get agencies I was told by one that he could not have them on the same floor  ;D ;D

The dealer is very important when buying a new bike. My favorite mechanic and bike shop has recently become the agent for Sherco and as a result these bikes are looking very appealing to me because I know I will get excellent support no matter what happens.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 11:30:29 am »

The dealer is very important when buying a new bike. My favorite mechanic and bike shop has recently become the agent for Sherco and as a result these bikes are looking very appealing to me because I know I will get excellent support no matter what happens.
[/quote

Agreed --The Sherco is cool and the lower seat height is a big Plus imho --not that I have a vertical challenge --but have a few friends who race them and they are the bees knees --
Current Scooters --

Offline Aquatic

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 03:33:02 pm »
Accessories to match

The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!