Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TE 610 Custom Mods & Farkles  (Read 12991 times)

Online Straatkat

TE 610 Custom Mods & Farkles
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:20:09 pm »
My TE 610 is a 2009 model that I bought new in 2011,and since then I did a lot of modifications, maybe the most significant being the custom bashplate, which was a work in progress for long, but it is now finished with the latest addition of the bracket to tie the Giant Loop Coyote bag on. Some of the features include 2 tool tubes, completely waterproof, protection for the rear brake/gearshifter to prevent them from poking a hole in a casing. It also has some holes to make the trial stand easy to use. Then I also did a cover for the front sprocket that serves a triple purpose, firstly a case saver should the chain break... secondly it aids in holding the top chain roller on, which is welded rather flimsily to the frame, and lastly an anchor point for the left hand side GL bag.
Some points still to solve/consider, the tool tubes tend to sweat when the engine warms up and cools down, making the tools rust....I have removed the tools for now, but will fit them when going on a long ride or expedition, probably just squirt some Q20 in and see if that helps.
Also have a small concern about the bashplate shielding the motor from the breeze and the motor might run hot...looking at the Halls plates that are full of holes...on the other hand the motor is liquid cooled...It also sounds a bit hollow, but I am used to that by now.
Will post more mods when time permits.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:34:06 pm by BiG DoM »
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: TE610 Custom mods
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:14:32 am »
Lot's of R&D into that bash plate  :biggrin: Looks substantial  :thumleft: I would change the brake fluid on the back, looks a bit past it from here.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Online Straatkat

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:23:43 pm »
Got caught by the dark some months back, that headlight is seriously dangerous, I had to find a car to ride behind. That made me think I need something like a second sun on the front, so here is my solution. 2x LED lights, 37w each. I will wire them so one points down for dims and the other slightly higher for brights. Still thinking on how to mount the cowling on the bike. It needs to be rigid but overly so, the original headlight is mounted very rubbery.... Any ideas?
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:07:00 pm »
My solution to the candle in the wind headlight was a 630 unit with a HID conversion. Proper chalk and cheese!
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
My solution to the candle in the wind headlight was a 630 unit with a HID conversion. Proper chalk and cheese!
Is the HID unit not too bulky for a 610 ? I had a look at Alan B's HID kit and I just cannot see it lasting offroad. To many parts that can fail  :-\ Maybe I'm wrong but I would prefer something like the Baja design LED setup.
J.R.R Tolkien

Online Straatkat

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:58:11 pm »
These LED lights I am using are quite heavy duty items, they are designed to be spotlights for the 4x4 market, and they give plenty light, I started them up and they throw a good beam. My problem was how to mount them, so then I made the cowling. It may be a bit big, but plan is to have it on only when doing long trips. I looked at the HID solution, but it needs too much paraphernalia that will get shaken to bits off road.
18 till I die.

Offline HK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 06:36:11 pm »
Looks good , well done    This will be perfect for long rides
Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Online Straatkat

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:23:50 pm »
I made a mould, so I can reproduce another one if I should destroy it in an off, or if some-one else wants one and feels like a fibreglass project....
Still working out how to mount it, and it will have a small screen that can be adjusted some.
Also space for a cubby and dash in the top cowling....time,time!
18 till I die.

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 01:25:22 pm »
Straatkat, any chance of making a copy of the Lynx fairing ? I would like one but they are moerse expensive.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:25:54 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 01:49:32 pm »
Yeah was going to mention them - seem very popular with some Stateside but as you say as ex Canada just silly money! Looked at one when I first got my 610 (the first Lynx version) but then did my Dakar screen mod with the 630 fairing and happy.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:36 pm »
Yeah was going to mention them - seem very popular with some Stateside but as you say as ex Canada just silly money! Looked at one when I first got my 610 (the first Lynx version) but then did my Dakar screen mod with the 630 fairing and happy.
Nice bit of kit but if you take into account what it consists off and how it mounts to your bike (downloaded the instructions) the price is just crazy !
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 02:44:08 pm »
Dom's dakar screen mod looks better than the over priced lynix, don't you think?

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:50 pm »
Being fibreglass it also adds weight up front but maybe worth it for mounting instruments etc. rally style. I think the adjustable screen could also be nice. With quite a few fairing plugs being made ala Amageza locally I am sure if one wanted to one could be adapted quite easily. The guys in CT who have done the BMW 450 have a nice setup by the looks of things.

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:41:44 pm »
Dom's dakar screen mod looks better than the over priced lynix, don't you think?
Agree but alas they only come in white :-\
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 09:39:04 pm »

:patch:   No they come in standard dark tint but have seen them painted white (mine is tinted).

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 09:43:23 pm »

:patch:   No they come in standard dark tint but have seen them painted white (mine is tinted).
The 630 headlight ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 09:47:44 pm »

:patch:   No they come in standard dark tint but have seen them painted white (mine is tinted).
The 630 headlight ?

No no - I picked up a second hand unused 630 headlight unit and have fitted a BMW Dakar screen to it (shaped at the bottom for the headlight). Must be a pick of it on one of the threads.

OK here:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=130201.0
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:52:03 pm by BiG DoM »

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 09:53:30 pm »
Yip what I mean is the 630 headlight is white and will not work with my Swedish colour scheme, the Lynx comes in just about any colour.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 09:54:45 pm »
Ok got you ... the headlight could be wrapped any colour very easily.  :3some:

Online Straatkat

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 08:14:00 am »
Sorry guys, missed most of the fairing action here, was at the Makekeng bash this weekend.....
When decided to make the fairing I looked at what was on the net and designed my own by casting a huge block of foam and bandsawing and carving the piece untill it looked like something I wanted on my bike, then covered it in fibreglass and that is the mould, pretty much where I am at now. Next step to make the first fibreglass...or carbon (if you are concerned about weight) fairing and then figure out the best way to mount it, rubber or fixed... There are rails for running a screen up and down like the Lynx for some wind protection on long trips. I plan to have it all finished by the end of the year and will post some more pics then.

Just a quick question, on my way back from Makekeng I heard a noise coming from the chain, stopped and saw the chain was moerse loose, everything was still tight...is it possible that the chain stretch that much? Had to adjust the chain some and then all was well. Maybe the chain is also made of the same steel as the clutch washers???
18 till I die.