Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sea to Ski 2013  (Read 8800 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Sea to Ski 2013
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 07:28:55 am »
Is DR. Fourie a gynacologist? Hy lyk darem kwaai in sy P-----s in :ricky: :pot: :pot: :pot:

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 09:33:41 am »
Haha mooi 2TDan :lol8:

Michiel dankie dat jy hierdie epic experience met ons deel, soveel respek vir julle manne wat daar deur is.
Ek het net 'n paar vrae rondom die event:

Hoe is die "pace" van die event? As jy verstaan wat ek bedoel. So ver ek verstaan is dit nie 'n resies nie, alhoewel daar tog cut-off times is. Soos ek aflei vanuit jou RR is daar 'n redelike gees van "help-mekaar-eerder-uit-die-kak" as om noodwendig eerste plek te behaal. En ek like dit kwaai.

En dan in jou opinie wat is die mees geskikste bike vir hierdie event? Jy prt van die lekker ou met  die 530 ktm. Was daar baie 450/530 tipe fietse of was dit meestal soos jou en Losper se 200/300's?

Wat is plus/minus die koste verbonde om aan die ding deel te neem?

En laastens (en seker die belangrikste) sal jy dit weer volgende jaar doen?

Dankie weereens dat jy hierdie spesiale experience deel :thumleft:
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Chukudeer

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:50 am »
Well done, I have great respect, and plenty fear. Sounds like my riding buddies are planning to do this next year.....eish
KTM 990R
Gas Gas 300 now we cooking
Lisdectia rules ko

Offline Kelevra

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 10:05:45 am »
Would love to do this on a rental bike...thanks for sharing
Previous:
Suzuki DR 600 KTM 640 ADV  KTM 530 XCRW KTM 530 EXC Ducati 748 Ducati 1098 KTM 690
Current:
Honda XR 200R  KTM 990 ADV R

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 08:22:33 pm »
Is DR. Fourie a gynacologist? Hy lyk darem kwaai in sy P-----s in :ricky: :pot: :pot: :pot:

:imaposer:

Hy is heel laas 'n ortopeed. Dit kom handig te pas wanneer ons beendere breek bo in die berge...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:27:22 pm by Michiel »

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 09:24:52 pm »
Thanks for everyone reading and enjoying. A sorrow shared is half as bad and a joy shared is twice as glad!

Cdp13, you are welcome, the pleasure is mine. I'm going to answer in English for in case someone out there can't understand Afrikaans.

The "pace" of the event - This is a non-competitive team event. Mike Glover told me they specifically didn't want to host a MSA event as such.
You ride at your own pace, be safe and make sure you enjoy it. Stop and look at the view while having something to eat and talk nonsense to your friends,
this is the spirit of the event. Everybody help each other, there is lekker camaraderie. "help-mekaar-eerder-uit-die-kak"  :thumleft:
Yes, of course no-one will stop you if you want to race to the end. There were okes that did that too. Just be respectful to the land owners/locals and don't
go speed through a village!!! I on the other hand want to be on my bike in those landscapes for as long as possible to soak it in and that is what most of us
did. Cut-off times are there purely for safety purposes. If you don't make it to a certain piont by 3PM you're going to end up on the route at night and you,
or the organizers for that matter, don't want that.

The ideal bike for the event - This is my opinion so take it for that, ideally you want a light bike that is reliable and easy to fix up when you get to camp.
My KDX200 gave me lots of joy and no problems. I would advise a 125-300cc 2-stroke or definately a Honda CRF230 4-stroke. We did lots of slow technical
stuff and on the open sections no more than 100km/h. If your name is Graham Maclachlan or Alfie Cox you will be just fine on a 450-530 4-stroke.
If, on the other hand, you are just a normal oke that rides over weekends for fun you are going to kak off big time!!! You will overheat and break your big
4-stroke before you can say Graham Machlachlan.

Cost to participate - The entry fee of R9000 includes two riders and the back-up vehicle driver (a friend or family member that drives your car and trailer
with all your kit to the refuel points and overnight location). Three people gets tented accommodation, good food and a gift. You are well looked after and the event
is well organized but the real value lies in the route of each day. There are skilled marshalls on the route to help and guide the riders. Besides the entry fee you
still have to cover petrol, spares and transport to get there and back. Each rider obviously pay half of the costs since the driver is doing you a favor. I would say
that all in all the weekend probably cost me around R7000. A pretty penny but one well spent! I prioritize and this is a priority to me because I want to die with a
smile on my face knowing I had fun along the way. Red Cherry Adventures also ploughs back a lot of the money into the communities that we pass.

Will I do it again next year? - Hell YES!!! The Eastern Cape has more enduro routes to offer than in your wildest dreams! They can run the same route next
year and I will still go. I still have flash backs of all the hundreds of amazing places I saw and got to ride across. Unless they make it really unaffordable I am there!
My enduro riding phase will probably pass some day but until then I will milk it like there is no tomorrow.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 10:44:52 pm »
The ideal bike for the event - This is my opinion so take it for that, ideally you want a light bike that is reliable and easy to fix up when you get to camp.
My KDX200 gave me lots of joy and no problems. I would advise a 125-300cc 2-stroke or definately a Honda CRF230 4-stroke. We did lots of slow technical
stuff and on the open sections no more than 100km/h. If your name is Graham Maclachlan or Alfie Cox you will be just fine on a 450-530 4-stroke.
If, on the other hand, you are just a normal oke that rides over weekends for fun you are going to kak off big time!!! You will overheat and break your big
4-stroke before you can say Graham Machlachlan.

Also own a KDX200 and although slightly heavy, it is very comfortable to make a long day shorter.
But did tackle a few rocks on the KTM350 recently and was amazed at how composed it dealt with the rocks.

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2013, 02:01:28 pm »
Dankie Michiel, presies die antwoorde wat ek gesoek het :thumleft:. Defnitief bo-aan my bucket list vir 2014. Al wat ek nou kort is Pom17 se thumbs up en 'n goeie oes
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Kawaki

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »
Thanks Michiel, dit was lekker intertaining  :thumleft: en goeie info  ;D

Offline DRAZIL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2013, 04:25:48 pm »
extreme sport riding ,thanks for the fantastic photos and all that rode my hat is off to you guys :thumleft: :thumleft:
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline KTMjedi

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Cleared for take off
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2013, 05:27:24 pm »
I got to say this event has been the best thing I have done in years...no actually ever. I will be first in line to put my name down for next years event  ;D. I also actually enjoyed day 3 the most, even thou it was the most difficult...don't get me wrong I was glad to see the top of Dargle but cant wait to tackle it again next year  ;). Unfortunately I lost my team mate at the first refuel of day 3 due to mechanical failour and had to push on alone so technicaly didnt get a finish as you need to both finish.... so next year I get the T shirt  :thumleft:

Offline KTMjedi

• Race Dog
  • Cleared for take off
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 05:29:13 pm »
By the way if you did this years event and want to do next year make sure you book when entries open 1st Nov this year!!! entires are going to be limited to 2 groups of 60 teams!!

Offline dukeblue

• Puppy
Re: Re: Sea to Ski 2013
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »
Brilliant event! We had such a jol and it is perfect Roof training. Thanks to Jedi and his group behind us my team mate got some Tramacets to help with a query broken wrist sustained on Dargle. If they cut out the dirt roads this would be as tough maybe tougher than the Roof. All rideable though and fantastic organization. Take the Mitas ef07sl as I made the mistake of riding on Michelin Fim tires and they suck. Downhills were awesome and the singletrack was brilliant. The offcamber stuff was all.in beautiful settings and both Elephant Trunk and Dargle were good tests. We did freeze our asses off the last night though. Such as enjoyable event though and truly in awe of the landscape and very thankful of 3 great riding partners.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline edgy

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2013, 07:49:01 pm »
I got to say this event has been the best thing I have done in years...no actually ever. I will be first in line to put my name down for next years event  ;D. I also actually enjoyed day 3 the most, even thou it was the most difficult...don't get me wrong I was glad to see the top of Dargle but cant wait to tackle it again next year  ;). Unfortunately I lost my team mate at the first refuel of day 3 due to mechanical failour and had to push on alone so technicaly didnt get a finish as you need to both finish.... so next year I get the T shirt  :thumleft:
Well done bud, not easy to continue on your own up that dammDargle!! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2013, 08:35:27 pm »
Great to have such conversation going! Thanks for the entries, nice to read from a different angle to the event.
Well said dukeblue.  :thumleft:

(This will be my conclusion of the event. I leave for Lesotho tomorrow to film a Lesotho Tourism video and will only
be back next week.)

Just as I thought we were at the top of Dargle we rounded another corner and there towering above us lay another
gnarly climb. At this point we were at the back of a little bottle-kneck, felt like the hundredth one for the weekend!.
One of the marshalls started to help out because we were still 10km from the 3PM cut-off and it was already past 4.

I'm ashamed to say I can't remember this Marshall's name but he sure showed us how it should be done!

At this point we all realized there was no point in rushing anymore since we will take the "escape" route home. Out came
the tow straps and everybody helped as we hauled the bikes up one by one.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »
I thought it was all over now but NO!

To get to the nearest road, the Tiffendell road, we had to carry on with the cattle servitude for another couple of kilometers.
I enjoyed it every bit like the last scrape off the bottom of your pudding bowl.

See how the land is only eroded between the fences of the servitude.

By the time we reached more even ground my team mate was done for, finish, KAPUT!  ::)

Fluit, fluit, my storie is uit...  ;)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:46:19 pm by Michiel »

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:01 am »
AWESOME!
Super keen on this one next year...  :thumleft:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline HB 9

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 08:46:57 am »
RESPECT!!  :deal:
Tread lightly

Offline KTMjedi

• Race Dog
  • Cleared for take off
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 09:29:16 am »
This is defiantly a bucket list ride and for those that would like to ride the Roof Of Africa for the Challenge but don't want the pressure of the race...this is for you! But to make it enjoyable you will need to make sure you prep and have the right equipment as this can ruin the experience....it nearly did for the group we drove up with. Make sure your vehicle is up for the trip....after leaving at 8 am we only crawled into the Haven at 10 pm as one of the groups bakkie broke down. The point is it was actually never ready to do the trip and we all suffered as a result....the list is actually 2 long to type  :xxbah:. Secondly trailers need to also be checked and actually I would recommend having them strengthened as their where trailers breaking left right and center!
Bike set up is critical as this can also make the experiance a pleasure or nightmare.
Make sure you have the right protection and spares.
Gearing...shorten your gearing by 1 tooth on the front or 2-3 on the rear.
Make sure you take the correct jetting esspecially for 2 strokes or you will loose a lot of power and start fouling plugs.
Suspension..service and set it up correctly or you will end up with a sore hands and a sore arse!
Tyres ...you need to make sure you have right tyres for the job or you going to do a lot of pushing. The secret is low pressure and the Answer is a soft mousse or Tubliss. I used Tubliss and dropped to .4 bar on Dargle and climb past people pushing and pulling their bikes.

Offline KTMjedi

• Race Dog
  • Cleared for take off
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:07 am »
This was the last decent into Wartrail.

And this is looking back on it:

and this is what we woke up to on Monday morning.