Touring 2-up with Camping Gear (My Packing List)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBig

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 955 Tiger
I HAVE UPDATED THIS LIST WITH A NEW POST ON PAGE 3 OF THIS THREAD:

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=13571.msg619727#msg619727

For the bored and the not so bored:

Now first off - don't try and be smart and tell me to just ride with two bikes. That's not the point.
Riding alone changes everything.

I would not call myself any sort of expert but after seeing ShootingJason selling off his goodies because of a bad experience, I thought some might benefit from my experience touring 2-up geared for camping.

Remember that your bike stands for freedom â?? going on a trip with your bike means that you can take advantage of that freedom. With your tent and sleeping bag on the back the opportunity presents itself to experience more of the great outdoors than what you ever thought possible â?? which after all is one of the attractive parts and one of the reasons for riding a bike to start with.

I am not going to elaborate on the different types of luggage available â?? more on WHAT works for US.
Also included (for completeness sake) is the kit we wear as well as tools I take.

The key is to be really organized as well as frugal in what you take with you.
If youâ??re not sure whether youâ??re going to use it, leave it at home. If you do end up needing it, buy one or make do somehow.
Repeat after me: I do not need EVERYHING!

Every piece of kit has to have a place where it will live for the duration of the journey. It makes packing up a much quicker affair.
We are able to wake up, shower, make breakfast, break camp, pack up, suit up and be on the bike in well under an hour. If we skip breakfast and just have coffee it could be as little as 30 min.

Donâ??t overload the bike. You WILL pay the price.
The suspension will suffer and the handling will turn into crap. Get on a scale with your panniers and gear and get at least some idea what weight youâ??ll end up with.
Remember that space is never an issue â?? it will always be weight that gets you in the end.

Take less clothes!
Get quick drying synthetic shirts with a â??wickingâ? property. You should NEVER wear cotton anyway!
Get into the habit of rinsing what you wore after each day. If you have the correct gear it will be dry by morning regardless of weather.

As a guide this is what we carry and how itâ??s distributed:

Riding Gear (x 2 of course):

- Cordura riding pants
- Cordura riding jacket (changes depending on season or weather)
- Waterproof touring boots
- Gloves
- Helmet
- Kidney Belt
- Underneath a QuickWik T-shirt, DryVent socks and short lycra/poly boxers
(The boxers help to prevent long distance â??seamâ?? pressure on the butt and can also be worn as a cozi  and sleepwear). Donâ??t wear cotton!
- I also wear a 2 Liter hydration pack on my back solely for the use of my pillion. The back pocket serves as an easy access for a compact camera. Especially in more remote places a great risk is running out of water. In a more civilized setting itâ??s not so much of a problem. But what happens if you break down in the middle of nowhere? We try to have at least 5-6 liters of water on the bike at the start of a day.
- An extra luxury is the AirHawk..
- With wet weather looming a pouch with rain gear also has to find its way onto the bike

Tools under seat:
Spare front tube , Standard Toolkit, 1x20â? + 2x12â? Tyre Levers, Some Cable Ties,  Patches & Solution, Superglue, Pratley Steel, Wire + Pliers, Spare Valves, Duct Tape

Tools in a small baggie (lives is a pannier or in the Topbox when not touring):
Spare rear tube, Small 12V compressor,  Socket Wrench + some sockets, Torx Bits (itâ??s a British bike after all!),  Valve Tool, Pressure Gauge,  Small can of Chain Lube, Nylon tow strap, 2 x tie down straps, Spare fuses. We also carry a fairly comprehensive First Aid Kit which also lives in this baggie.

Luggage on the bike consists of
2 x 38L alu panniers
1 x expandable Tankbag
2 x 30L Drybags (usually no more than half filled) strapped on top of each pannier.

The 2 x Drybags are packed with:
- 2 x alu tripod stools (youâ??ll want to sit down at some point, trust me)
- 3-man tent separated into poles, flysheet & main.
(I use the Cape Union Panorama 3-man. Good water head rating, spacious, 2 large vestibules and weighs around 5kgâ??s). Iâ??ve tried to count how many times Iâ??ve pitched this specific tent when on trips and it came to almost 50, so it has proven itself well). Do not skimp on a decent tent. It HAS to be able to withstand wind and must definitely be waterproof. Perhaps the MOST important part of your kit. After all, if you and your gear gets wet itâ??s hard to enjoy yourself.
Remember to take a repair kit with some patch, waterproofing etc.

- Twin size luxury airbed (the twin is fairly narrow but we prefer the better quality and thickness to larger size - which again is a trade-off with the weight)
We have tried the foamies (really kark, bulky and useless) as well as some â??self-inflatableâ??sâ? which is not bad. Problem with those are they only come in (narrow) singles and is pretty thin. The thicker ones becomes very bulky again. We tried some methods to â??attachâ?? 2 singles to make a double using velcro, press studs etc. Never quite worked. Weight wise theyâ??re barely any lighter than an economy double size airbed and the packing volume is about similar. One advantage is that you do not need to carry a airpump. Remember to take a repair kit!

- 2 x Inflatable pillows with linen covers. We tried small down pillows in stuffbags as well as other small camping pillows. Pillows are a problem. It could make or break your trip. If you have a kark pillow you WILL sleep kark. I have found that the little inflatables work pretty well. We made linen covers and you can then stuff something else in there if you prefer (like a jersey or towel). I prefer to only inflate it halfway and then fold it double. This makes for a more comfortable height for on your side sleeping.

- In cold weather we take along 2 x First Accent PackLite sleeping bags. They pack really small and weighs around 750g each. Wonâ??t keep you warm in sub-zero temperatures but a liner can be used if necessary. These are the mummy type bag but can still zip together. One advantage of a short partner is that I can use ALL the lower legroom! The hoodie also comes in handy when cold.

A new addition to our travels is a lightweight alu collapsible tripod which is strapped on top of a Drybag for quick access. Proved extremely handy on our latest trip. Suddenly no more awkward self portraits and the overall quality of pictures definitely has improved somewhat.

TankBag
- Lighter
- Bottle opener
- 2 X Knife/Fork/Spoon + teaspoon
- Utility Knife
- 2 X Insulated Mugs
- 2 X SS  Plates
- Sponge, Terry Cloth, Tea Towl , dishwashing liquid
- GelFuel Pouches (for starting a fire)
- Roll of toilet paper for that emergency visor cleaning or other needs
- Combo Hammer / Hatchet / Saw that fits into a neat little baggie (for hitting tent pegs and chopping wood)
- 2 Liter Hydration Bladder (for me)
- Sunglasses and Caps.
- Snacks for the road (cereal bars, gum, jelly sweets, crisps)
This still leaves enough space for some groceries.

Pannier 1
-    Small Baggie with:
  o Stove & gas Canister (Go system)
  o Alu Pot & Pan Combo
  o 2 X small SS Bowls
- Spare gas canister
- 12V Airpump for Mattress
- Tool baggie with content as above
- Usually we only take a fitted sheet for the mattress plus a double sheet to kip under. More than adequate in warm weather as you can also control the temperature inside the tent with vents and windows. This goes into a small cotton baggie.
- One container has some:
  o Salt , Pepper & spices
  o cooking oil
  o Brown and white sugar
  o Condensed milk (lasts a couple of days)
  o Coffee , Tea
  o Spare Jack (canâ??t risk running out)
  o Lighter
- Another with some emergency food supplies (try to have enough to sustain you for 2 days):
Spaghetti, Instant Pasta Sauce, Instant Oats, SaltiCrax, Tinned Mussels, Packets of Game (drink)
- This leaves just enough space for a 2 liter â??wyn boksieâ?  ;-)

Pannier 2:
In bottom:
- Small Collapsible SS Braai Grid (if you have pliers in your toolkit it kan be used to handle burning wood â?? sort off)
- Haynes Workshop Manual

A removable bag lines this pannier which contains only our personal stuff. After the tent is up I just pull the bag out and put into the tent. Itâ??s important to note that you must have a fairly similar sense of organization when sharing a bag with your partner. Fortunately we carry very few clothes and itâ??s easy to keep neat.

We both have(almost) exactly the same amount and style of clothes so multiply the next items by 2 (this is in addition to what we are already wearing under the Riding Gear section):
- Aqua style gel shoes (very light, compact for packing and comfortable. Make sure the sole is stiff enough to withstand thorns)
- Adventure style QuickDry combination shorts/pants (zip-off type)
- 2 x QuickWik T-Shirts
- 2 x pairs of DryVent socks
- 2 x pairs of short lycra/poly boxers
- 1 x lightweight jacket
- Lisa also packs an extra  lightweight jersey, sleepy top & shorts + a bikini
- 4 x chamois style super lightweight sports towels.  (2 for showering  & 2 for swimming or whatever else) Two together are about the size of my fist and weighs mere grams.
- 2x Vanity baggies with all kinds of goodies in.. (decant shampoos etc into smaller containers which can always live in your vanity â?? ready to be grabbed for the next trip)
- 2 X mesh bags (one to carry clothes or goodies to the shower, another for dirty stuff)

42L TopBox:
- 2 x Spare Visors (we both ride with tinted visors as sunglasses tend to eventually start hurting the head or ears) As a rule we never ride after dark but you need to be prepared for a quick visor change in an emergency. Besides, you will be SCREWED if the visor getâ??s damaged in any way. Imagine trying to cover distance without one!
- Cooler baggie large enough to take 8 bottles of beer (used to keep cold food stuffs in or the odd drink â??  a small flask with some Jack is always in there)
- Camera bag containing: (and yes you CAN keep electronic equipment in a topbox!)
  o Video Camera
  o Spare Batteries & DV Tape for Cameras
  o Chargers for cell phones and cameras
  o 2-prong Adapter
  o 2 x Headlights
- Larger digital camera in separate baggie
- A pouch containing: Driving License (actually I keep this one in my riding jackets pocket for those inevitable roadblocks â?? nothing sucks as much as having to take gloves off, dismount, open box and rummage around for a piece of plastic), passports, vehicle registration papers, Itinerary & Accommodation Lists, Insurance Details & Emergency Contact Info.
- Lisaâ??s Handbag
- My Manbag with odds and ends in.

- This still leaves some space for groceries as well.

Travelling with this much gear has itâ??s challenges.
I can almost not believe what a pig the bike becomes in the loose stuff with the extra weight.
More than once had I to remove panniers just to extract myself from a sandpit.

Iâ??m pretty sure I have forgotten some stuff and might add to the list later.

Now get out there and camp dammit!

(Here a pic of Aspersie all loaded up on our last trip)

Attachments

• Namibia 072.JPG
    Namibia 072.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,287