Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Trees of Southern Africa  (Read 26821 times)

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
Re: Trees of Southern Africa
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2014, 06:59:51 am »
I am continuing with my silvopasture efforts. Basically combining trees and grasses in livestock grazing. I have lots of places on the farm that are either too rocky to plough, or have too many stumps from removing wattle and blue gum. I am planting acacia karroo in these areas at a spacing of about 10 x 10m. Acacias grow quickly and have a long tap root that goes down to the water table, they shade the grasses growing undrneath and fix nitrogen into the soil. The leaves and pods are eaten by my goats and are very nutritious. I collected thousands of seeds last autumn and when the rains start i will be planting them in the field with a hand planter, as well as sprouting some in a greenhouse and planting out the sprouts.

Acacia can cause bush encroachment where cattle are grazed, because they eat only the grasses and leave the trees, but goats start on the trees and get to the grasses later, so the trick is to rotationally graze so the goats don't damage the trees too badly so they can't recover.

I've been doing this for 2 years, and in the first camp where I started the trees are about 1.5m tall now. This summer they should grow at least another metre or so.  

Acacias are the pioneer species, so once they are established, the birds, bugs and animals will bring the seeds of the other species so eventually you will end up with a more natural tree mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvopasture
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:06:00 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline Offshore

« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2014, 07:57:22 am »
Great DB, why don't you give us a glimpse of your Veld where you have established the Acacia?
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2014, 07:58:33 am »
Great DB, why don't you give us a glimpse of your Veld where you have established the Acacia?

It looks a bit bleak now, wait until the rains start!

First pic is 2 year old trees I planted. You can see all the stumps that make it impossible to plough to plant any conventional sort of pasture.

The second pic is what I want to get to, i.e largish trees shading the ground, nicely pruned by the goats to keep it open underneath so the grass can grow. You can see the grass under the trees is green and everywhere else quite dormant.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:34:26 am by DeepBass9 »

Offline Offshore

« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2014, 08:34:26 am »
Ok, so we know that when Veld is overgrazed the Sicklebush (Sekelbos) takes over. Once the Grass eaters are taken off the Grass starts growing again and in Time (about 3 Years) the Sicklebush gets "killed" by the Grass. I would like to know what it is exactly that kills the Sicklebush. Does Anybody know?
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2014, 08:49:56 am »
The big gum behind the house is HUGE, but all the others are growing at a rate... lots of indigenous trees will one day dominate the garden... can't wait!
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Offshore

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2014, 08:52:07 am »
Which are your favourite Trees Young Lady?
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline Bensien

« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2014, 09:07:03 am »
Ok, so we know that when Veld is overgrazed the Sicklebush (Sekelbos) takes over. Once the Grass eaters are taken off the Grass starts growing again and in Time (about 3 Years) the Sicklebush gets "killed" by the Grass. I would like to know what it is exactly that kills the Sicklebush. Does Anybody know?

Some plants produce compounds that inhibit the growth of competing species in their close vicinity. That is why other plants won't grow under and around certain species of trees. It is quite possible that some grass species produce a substance that kills sickle bush. It could also be that the grass is more effective at extracting moisture and nutrients from the soil. That will explain why grass kills of the sickle bush scrub and not the established trees.

Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Offshore

« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2014, 09:40:42 am »

Some plants produce compounds that inhibit the growth of competing species in their close vicinity. That is why other plants won't grow under and around certain species of trees. It is quite possible that some grass species produce a substance that kills sickle bush. It could also be that the grass is more effective at extracting moisture and nutrients from the soil. That will explain why grass kills of the sickle bush scrub and not the established trees.

Thanks Bensien, that is the most likely scenario. The Sicklebush has a very deep root system so I doubt whether Water has anything to do with it.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2014, 12:24:51 pm »
Which are your favourite Trees Young Lady?

Ooooh.  Ok...

I LOVE granite... I come from the copper belt, so huge rock koppies really pull my heart strings... and seeing them with Mountain Accacias and Masasa trees that produce the most exquisite autumn colours can only pull a tear to my eye.

The Massive Baobab has to top the list for stately grandeur and certainly awakens images of Elephant silently moving under them, leopards hunting and the cry the Jackal.

I have always loved Marula trees, something about them... the Tamboti, yes

The Umbrella Thorn on a vast plain...

Love the Weeping Boer Bean, when in flower they are covered in birds, you can sit for hours just enjoying the feast.

The Fever tree... exquisite... The Leopard Tree... mmmm

The Leadwood tree... all I think of is Fish Eagles.

The Coral Tree...

Most of these have big memory associations to when I was a kid... either out in the bush, at Boarding school, or along roads my Dad built...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:19:42 pm by Malibu »

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2014, 01:47:56 pm »
One of my most memorable plants is the Mimosa Pudica (derived from Latin for shy), commonly known as the Touch-Me-Not.   :biggrin:

Offline Offshore

« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2014, 01:58:48 pm »
Lovely variety of Trees, you will enjoy planting them and watching their progress.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »
Ek wil graag vir my 'n Afrocarpus falcatus (Outeniqua Geelhout) by my huis plant, op die oomblik is daar net gras en geen tuin nie, wil een koop wat al reeds paar meter lank is

Selfs al begin jy met een 'n meter hoog moet jy maar geduldig wees.

Het nou al in Durbanville twee geplant (23 jaar gelede) en hulle is nou stunning.
By Hartbeespoort een (17 jaar gelede) en hy is ook pragtig.
Moreletta Park twee (11 jaar gelede) en hulle begin nou eers regtig mooi groei.

Almal was 1m of meer toe ek geplant het.

Offline Pote

« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:15 pm »
Ek wil graag vir my 'n Afrocarpus falcatus (Outeniqua Geelhout) by my huis plant, op die oomblik is daar net gras en geen tuin nie, wil een koop wat al reeds paar meter lank is

Selfs al begin jy met een 'n meter hoog moet jy maar geduldig wees.

Het nou al in Durbanville twee geplant (23 jaar gelede) en hulle is nou stunning.
By Hartbeespoort een (17 jaar gelede) en hy is ook pragtig.
Moreletta Park twee (11 jaar gelede) en hulle begin nou eers regtig mooi groei.

Almal was 1m of meer toe ek geplant het.
dalk moes jy vir hentie ook geplant het want hy het nooit op gekom nie, staan nou nog 1m hoog

Offline Kloes

« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2014, 09:42:01 am »
Kippersol voor my huis in Centurion. Grootste een wat ek nog gesien het.

Offline Butch

« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2014, 03:39:08 pm »
Holy smokes! Ek het nie geweet 'n kiepersol raak so groot nie. Myne is nou so 1.5m hoog, vanaf 1.3m oor die laast 4 jaar. Groei hulle maar so stadig?
Live and let live.

Offline dw1

« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2014, 07:44:41 pm »
Kiepersol by ons stoep. Was bietjie verwaarloos toe ons die plek gekoop het want hulle het vuur gemaak reg onder die boom en die hitte het die blare laat verlep. Van toe af het ons nooit weer vuur gemaak onder die boom nie en dit het pragtig gegroei tot 'n groot boom. 8 Jaar.

In Seweweekspoort is daar kiepersol bome wat massief is maar dit is maar 'n stadige groeier.
Current KTM 950 Adv, R80G/S x 2, TW200,  DR200 Djebel,, XR500R
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

Offline Noneking

Trees of Southern Africa
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2014, 05:56:07 pm »
Maroela in ons voortuin

Koorsboom teen pad

Stamme van Rotsvy

2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Offshore

« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2014, 06:52:06 pm »
Rotsvy
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline Offshore

« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2014, 07:05:05 pm »
Rotsvy
Moerse Witstinkhout
Harpuis ( Resin Tree)
Rooiblaar Vy
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline Offshore

« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2014, 07:07:29 pm »
Lank gesukkel om die ene te identifiseer. Bostaaibos.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65