Mozambique advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi Dogs

Going to Mozam for the first time in 2 weeks time (unfortunately in the 4x4 :-[), and would just like to get some general info from people who have gone over recently. Just for background information, we will be spending a few nights in Kosi Bay then travelling up to Inhambane, with a stop-over in Xai-Xai. Coming back we retrace our steps, except will be going via Swaziland through Namaacha gate, as I dont want to gamble on catching the Kosi gate before it closes. Just a few questions for those in the know:

1. Is it best to cross at Kosi and take that route via Maputo to Xai-Xai, or should we rather detour via Pongola through Swazi on the way up? (thus avoiding those southern sand roads, rather taking tar)

2. What are the border proceedings like? What documents should I expect to be given, stamped etc....as I know they like to issue fines on such buearocratic matters.

3. Can I get Meticas somewhere in Manguzi or should that be done at the border?

4. Anything important I haven't specifically asked about that would be worth mentioning....

Any info would be appreciated...really not keen to face undue struggles (accepting that this is Africa, and it is part of the fun)

Thanx!